PDA

View Full Version : Selling ubuntu-supported hardware! (Denmark)

daller
November 1st, 2005, 02:19 PM
Hi There,

Anyone interested in an online-shop where ubuntu-supported hardware is sold? (It's easy to find the make & model on the internet, but you can never be sure about the chip, revision changes, etc....)

The reason I'm asking, is that I'm the manager of the hardware-section in a shop in Århus.

I'm looking for a place like this myself, but haven't been able to find anything useful!

...This opportunity enables me to test a large amount of hardware, but wouldn't help anything if noboby's interested...

Xentex
November 1st, 2005, 11:51 PM
Hi There,

Anyone interested in an online-shop where ubuntu-supported hardware is sold? (It's easy to find the make & model on the internet, but you can never be sure about the chip, revision changes, etc....)

The reason I'm asking, is that I'm the manager of the hardware-section in a shop in Århus.

I'm looking for a place like this myself, but haven't been able to find anything useful!

...This opportunity enables me to test a large amount of hardware, but wouldn't help anything if noboby's interested...

I would strongly recommend heading over to the Debian compatability list - then you could have a *much* wider customer base. Think of all the distro's based on Debian - there are literally hundreds, when you think of all the home-rolled distro's.

Why Debian you might ask? K/Ubuntu is based on Debian, in a similar way to MEPIS, Knoppix, Gnoppix, and a whole host of others.

derrick1985
November 2nd, 2005, 03:03 AM
I'd be interested.

daller
November 2nd, 2005, 09:25 AM
I would strongly recommend heading over to the Debian compatability list - then you could have a *much* wider customer base. Think of all the distro's based on Debian - there are literally hundreds, when you think of all the home-rolled distro's.

Why Debian you might ask? K/Ubuntu is based on Debian, in a similar way to MEPIS, Knoppix, Gnoppix, and a whole host of others.

It makes testing a little harder, doesn't it?

That hardware works in ubuntu, doesn't mean that it'll work in Debian, does it? (Out-of-the-box)

The thing is that the hardware will be findable in a Linux-section (if marked as linux-compatible)

Working in: Debian Sarge - (K)Ubuntu 5.04/5.10/6.04 etc...

The thing is, we can't compete with the larger internet-shops here in Denmark.
Do you think people will be interested in buying hardware that is quarantied linux-compatible, knowing that they can get the product (unsure about chip support!) 20% cheaper, buying it somewhere else?

Teroedni
November 2nd, 2005, 10:00 AM
Might be possible, hard to say. But if we had a such thing in Norway i might buy some small parts like mice ,keyboards just to support it. You could make Ubuntu stickies and put on keyboards that would be cool;)

What would be a really good idea would be to build cheap Ubuntu machines.
You can build them very cheap and install Ubuntu on them:)
That could sell well:)
I just bought and build me a new computer for 3000 kr myself:)
It is an Amd Athlon Turion(see sig)

Teroedni
November 2nd, 2005, 10:15 AM
For example
Taken from shg.dk
note:this is yust don fast to show that you can get it cheap;)

enummer Status Beskrivelse Stk á I alt
810594 På lager, levering 1-2 dage shg Case V09, Blue/Beige, 300Watt 249,00 249,00
310833 På lager, levering 1-2 dage Asus K8U-X, ULI M1689, LAN, S754 405,00 405,00
350491 På lager, levering 1-2 dage Elixir DDR400, 512 MB 324,00 324,00
321055 Forventet på lager den 02-11-2005 AMD Sempron 2600+, S754, 64Bit, BOX 511,00 511,00
340451 På lager, levering 1-2 dage Asus V9520 Magic/T 128MB GeforceFX 5200 329,00 329,00
420433 På lager, levering 1-2 dage Seagate 7200.9 40GB, 2MB, ATA100 379,00 379,00
Vi må beklageligvis meddele vi ikke har varenr 321055 på lager. Ordrens forventede leveringstid vil derfor blive 1-3 dage.

Varebeløb inkl. moms: DKK 2.197,00
Varebeløb moms: DKK 439,40

Vægt (fragtpriser): 10,50 Kg

daller
November 2nd, 2005, 10:28 AM
Thanks a lot!

I'll concider your ideas!

First of all, I think I'll concentrate on the individual hardware.

jatos
November 2nd, 2005, 11:23 AM
Hmm, I think you idea is a bloody good one providing that you advertise your product well when you make it. Also I would offer Ubuntu pre-installed systems, possible with you own customised CD's to reinstall the OS?.

Also I would go looking for reliable delivery companies that deliver you stuff throughout Europe at a reasonable price. If you deliver throughout Europe cheaply and reliable it would signifigantly increase you customer base.

In short, I think if well planned and implemented this is a business propositon that would succeed.

Jussi Kukkonen
November 4th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Do you think people will be interested in buying hardware that is quarantied linux-compatible, knowing that they can get the product (unsure about chip support!) 20% cheaper, buying it somewhere else?

Might be... Just remember that you can't just say "guaranteed Ubuntu-compatible" if you've e.g. just slapped a wireless card in a machine and pinged the router successfully. You'd have to test it for a long time to see it performs as it should in various setups (with WEP, WPA...) with various other hardware.

I bet you'll be more succesful with selling whole PC setups -- this way you'll only need to test this one combination of devices and people won't just come in to your store to check compatibility and then buy the stuff from somewhere else.

wabble
November 17th, 2005, 07:21 AM
Might be possible, hard to say. But if we had a such thing in Norway i might buy some small parts like mice ,keyboards just to support it. You could make Ubuntu stickies and put on keyboards that would be cool;)

What would be a really good idea would be to build cheap Ubuntu machines.
You can build them very cheap and install Ubuntu on them:)
That could sell well:)
I just bought and build me a new computer for 3000 kr myself:)
It is an Amd Athlon Turion(see sig)

I will never buy a cheap cheap computer. But i know what i want. And i want to be able to use it more than one year ahead. My thinkpad x31 has given me joy for over two years now. The only things i have changed on it is the ram and the operating system ;)