PDA

View Full Version : Fedora and ATI: Better?

dbsoundman
July 4th, 2008, 03:24 AM
I've posted a very similar thread in the OpenSUSE forum here because I'm testing the waters on both of these OSes...

I'm thinking of switching to Fedora, simply because I'm getting tired of screwing with graphics problems in Ubuntu. I have a widescreen monitor, so I need 1680x1050 resolution. I have an ASUS mobo with built-in ATI graphics, and I like it, but, for example, I seem to have the dreaded and unfixable issue with DVD playback where it plays really choppy. I think that is ridiculous. I mean, I know things like that happen, but it's ridiculous for me to have a computer that's pretty much BEGGING to play DVDs, that can't play DVDs. I don't imagine flash will be any better in Fedora, but I can live with that so long as I can get something like Totem with it's youtube plugin.

Basically, are my graphics likely to work better in Fedora?

Thanks,
Dan

RebounD11
July 4th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Due to their policy it's going to be hrder to get ATI cards working with proprietary drivers in Fedora. I couldn't get my mom's Radeon X1200 onboard graphics chip to work with Fedora (had to stick to MESA drivers) and if you own a very old Radeon (900/9200 series) it's very likely that it won't have 3D acceleration (no matter if you use Fedora's, openSUSE's or Ubuntu's latest version).

This however worked fine even with Fedora 9 and an X1650XT Radeon card http://www.fedorafaq.org/#radeon