PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] installer doesnt see hard drive

wgato
July 4th, 2008, 02:25 AM
I just put together a server and i am trying to install ubuntu on it from the livecd. but when the installer gets to step #4, the partitioner, there is only blank box, no hard drive listed to select to partition. the computer has a CDrom (that i am running the livecd from) and a 120G sata hd. how do i get it to detect it?

Rocket2DMn
July 4th, 2008, 02:44 AM
You should try the Alternate Install CD, available at http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download by checking the box at the bottom for the alternate cd. It uses a text based installer rather than a live session, but is still easy to use. Historically you have needed this to install on SATA drives, though I'm not sure that is still the case.

If you get errors trying to boot the Alternate CD (like ERRNO=-2) or some such thing, add "acpi=off noapic" to the kernel boot options.

wgato
July 4th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Thanks for the suggestion but I dont have a way to burn a CD. Could I download it to a usb drive? The computer I am trying to install on does boot from usb.

Rocket2DMn
July 4th, 2008, 02:51 AM
I have never tried this approach myself, but here is a link: community/Installation/FromUSBStick
Here are other options: community/Installation

Whatever you choose, you should use the alternate cd image, not the livecd.