PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation Problem - Graphics at Desktop

dafecat
July 4th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Hi there,

I'm a real Noob to Linux and Ubuntu.

I've tried installing the Ubuntu Ultimate 1.8 onto my PC which has Windows XP loaded also.

The install seemed straight forward. I removed the CD from the drive and rebooted the system and got prompted with the 2 operating systems.

When selecting Ubuntu, the Ultimate Edition Splash comes up for a good 30 seconds or so then dissapears. I'm then greeted with a colourful array of squares on my screen. That's it!

What should be the desktop screen is a blob of coloured squares.

I've tried running the live CD version and get the same problem.

I've tried to read in the forums but had no luck, so am posting my problem.

Please help me. I don't know what utilities to use to edit the default graphics drivers or where to go to access them.
If you can help, please keep the advice real noobish! Shame on me!

overdrank
July 4th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Hi there,

I'm a real Noob to Linux and Ubuntu.

I've tried installing the Ubuntu Ultimate 1.8 onto my PC which has Windows XP loaded also.

The install seemed straight forward. I removed the CD from the drive and rebooted the system and got prompted with the 2 operating systems.

When selecting Ubuntu, the Ultimate Edition Splash comes up for a good 30 seconds or so then dissapears. I'm then greeted with a colourful array of squares on my screen. That's it!

What should be the desktop screen is a blob of coloured squares.

I've tried running the live CD version and get the same problem.

I've tried to read in the forums but had no luck, so am posting my problem.

Please help me. I don't know what utilities to use to edit the default graphics drivers or where to go to access them.
If you can help, please keep the advice real noobish! Shame on me!

Hi and welcome, what is the model of the graphics card?

dafecat
July 4th, 2008, 01:39 AM
Hi and welcome, what is the model of the graphics card?

Thanks, The card is a GeForce 7900GT.

dafecat
July 4th, 2008, 01:47 AM
I've downloaded a file "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.09-pkg1.run" which is designed for the NVidia Geforce 7 series. I have no idea of what to do with this file though.

overdrank
July 4th, 2008, 02:08 AM
I've downloaded a file "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.09-pkg1.run" which is designed for the NVidia Geforce 7 series. I have no idea of what to do with this file though.

Hi and you may find some help in this link
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=815287

dafecat
July 4th, 2008, 03:30 AM
OK, I have read through this forum and tried the CTRL ALT F1/Backspace etc. The most I get is a x1 reboot straight back to the same problem.

If I could just get some graphics going I could do stuff.

overdrank
July 4th, 2008, 02:01 PM
OK, I have read through this forum and tried the CTRL ALT F1/Backspace etc. The most I get is a x1 reboot straight back to the same problem.

If I could just get some graphics going I could do stuff.

HI and do you mean you get one reboot and then back to the distorted graphics? Have you installed the nvidia drivers? Have you tried to reconfigure you xorg as suggested in the link?