PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Why so MANY updates ?

val67
July 3rd, 2008, 10:06 PM
This is becoming annoying. Almost every day new updates, and also very frequent kernel updates ...

The worst part is that many NEW updates just revert to previous (older) updates.

Looks like the Ubuntu team is doing a pretty sloppy job on this front ...

Using 8.04

lisati
July 3rd, 2008, 10:08 PM
I hadn't noticed (I'm using 7.04)

It might have its nuisance value, but the other side of the coin is that it lets you know that the team are still alive and trying to do their best.

Pumalite
July 3rd, 2008, 10:12 PM
This is becoming annoying. Almost every day new updates, and also very frequent kernel updates ...

The worst part is that many NEW updates just revert to previous (older) updates.

Looks like the Ubuntu team is doing a pretty sloppy job on this front ...

Using 8.04
Au contraire; things keep improving.

val67
July 3rd, 2008, 10:18 PM
Au contraire; things keep improving.

Not always. As i said many updates just repair previous bad updates.

That's why there are so many :shock:

val67
July 3rd, 2008, 10:27 PM
Another bad thing with upgrades is that many people spent hours/days tweaking their systems, just to find out that a new update simply renders the system unusable ... back to square one ...

For me, after every update I need to reinstall my cisco vpn sofware and sometimes reconfigure the vmware :confused:

AlexBellisBrown
July 3rd, 2008, 11:07 PM
As long as they keep making it more stable, im behind them 100%.

|{urse
July 3rd, 2008, 11:14 PM
Wow! You're really funny. Lol too many updates? IMO there can never be enough updates. Perhaps you like XP? 3 service packs and a billion updates later you get a virus? You should consider asking Linus Torvalds for your money back. What OS have you been using that you had very few updates? Also saying that the ubuntu dev team is sloppy truly shows your lack of knowledge on this subject.

logos34
July 3rd, 2008, 11:35 PM
Another bad thing with upgrades is that many people spent hours/days tweaking their systems, just to find out that a new update simply renders the system unusable ... back to square one ...

For me, after every update I need to reinstall my cisco vpn sofware and sometimes reconfigure the vmware :confused:

+1

I can't tell you how many hours I spent trying to get Exact Audio Copy working again after upgrading to Hardy...it worked for like 1 day then there was a minor tweak to the -16 kernel or something, and suddenly I couldn't launch the app at all. I blamed Wine, then EAC, then finally the problem fixed itself with the -19 kernel update. Nautilus bugs crept too, but they eventually ironed themselves.

In general, though, the updates do improve things, and I agree with this guy:

As long as they keep making it more stable, im behind them 100%.

Still, there has been a sh*tload of updates lately, more than I can remember with any other release, stuff that in my mind should probably have been fixed in the beta and RC stage. Better late than never, but you have to wonder why so many

jnw222
July 3rd, 2008, 11:48 PM
just update
if you have highspeed acess just run the updater all the time, you wont woory we are not microsoft trying to ruin computers with updates

if you want a more windows-like time update only twice a month

s3a
July 4th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Just go to System-->Administration-->Software Sources

then enter your password

then on the "Updates" tab make it install updates without you knowing?

I choose to make it check everyday, download updates if it finds any and I choose to install the updates whenever I feel like it so I've never experienced the feel of having it install for you but maybe that'll make it less annoying for you?

You can also choose a time interval in which it will check, that should make it even less annoying for you!

Sorry if this is a useless post, but it could be what you want.

gator42
July 4th, 2008, 12:16 AM
It does get old, knowing that everytime I start up my comp I might have to get updates. But I agree that the more the better.

Sef
July 4th, 2008, 02:23 AM
Sorry if this is a useless post, but it could be what you want.

It is not useless. The OP may not find it useful, but another ubuntu forum member could find it useful.

val67
July 4th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Wow! You're really funny. Lol too many updates? IMO there can never be enough updates. Perhaps you like XP? 3 service packs and a billion updates later you get a virus? You should consider asking Linus Torvalds for your money back. What OS have you been using that you had very few updates? Also saying that the ubuntu dev team is sloppy truly shows your lack of knowledge on this subject.

Well, 3 service packs is preferable to (almost) daily updates.

BTW, Windows updates never screw up your system, as Ubuntu updates do ...

Maybe that's the problem, otherwise I wouldn't bother ...

Ah, forgot it, did you know that if you get almost daily kernel updates in about 1 year your hard disk will be full?

Because Ubuntu team is "smart" and does not remove your old kernels ...

You know why? Because they know that the newest kernel update might not work ... There you go .

hyper_ch
July 4th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Well, if you use open source software that's in the repos then it won't break ;) vmware does not fall into that category ;)

Well, 3 service packs is preferable to (almost) daily updates.
well, you rather wait 2 years for a security hole to be fixed? ;) and daily updates tell me people are working on it for improving it ;)

BTW, Windows updates never screw up your system, as Ubuntu updates do ...
Yeah right... forgot the VISTA service pack fiasco where nothing worked anymore?

You know why? Because they know that the newest kernel update might not work ... There you go .
You know, they let you have a choice and don't impose anything on you... there you go

val67
July 4th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Well, if you use open source software that's in the repos then it won't break ;) vmware does not fall into that category ;)

it's not just vmware, read the countless posts about things broken after updates ...

well, you rather wait 2 years for a security hole to be fixed? ;) and daily updates tell me people are working on it for improving it ;)

for security related issues, I can accept daily updates, provided they don't screw my system up ...

Yeah right... forgot the VISTA service pack fiasco where nothing worked anymore?

I was talking about XP, never had Vista ...

You know, they let you have a choice and don't impose anything on you... there you go

This is childish, sorry

hyper_ch
July 4th, 2008, 12:16 PM
it's not just vmware, read the countless posts about things broken after updates ...
like?

for security related issues, I can accept daily updates, provided they don't screw my system up ...
Who forces you to install all updates? I like updates ;)

I was talking about XP, never had Vista ...
Even xp had its share of problems... like forced reboots that rendered the system unusable ;)

This is childish, sorry
As is your remark ;)

val67
July 4th, 2008, 12:41 PM
like?

Who forces you to install all updates? I like updates ;)

Even xp had its share of problems... like forced reboots that rendered the system unusable ;)

As is your remark ;)

Lemme make this easier for you with an analogy:

If your car manufacturer (and pls don't tell me that I didn't pay for ubuntu, it's beside the point), so if you car manufacturer calls you every week telling that you have to take your car to the shop for repairs, wouldn't you think that the car (or the manufacturer) have serious issues?

Would you say "the more repairs, the better" ?

hyper_ch
July 4th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Lemme make this easier for you with an analogy:

If your car manufacturer (and pls don't tell me that I didn't pay for ubuntu, it's beside the point), so if you car manufacturer calls you every week telling that you have to take your car to the shop for repairs, wouldn't you think that the car (or the manufacturer) have serious issues?

Would you say "the more repairs, the better" ?

it's not repairs, it's updates - like "we got this cool new update for your car that makes it use 10% less fuel" ;) sure, you don't have to update - but you can ;)

AlexBellisBrown
July 4th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Right, if you compare Ubuntu Hardy to Ubuntu Gutsy, you can see the huge difference. Things get better and improve, of course there are errors along the way, but keep in mind, things can only get better. Im already telling everyone Ubuntu is better than XP. Which, of course, is a matter of opinion, but it is! Windows is so "battle patched", they should just start afresh. Whereas us, well we just update the kernel, and BAM, a nice shiny OS!

AnonCat
July 4th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Considering that 8.04 is so new, I'd be surprised if it didn't receive a lot of updates. It seems a bit harsh to expect the devs to have an absolutely perfect OS with no bugs or other issues for us on release day. The updates never seem to take long to install anyway.

steveneddy
July 4th, 2008, 04:24 PM

This is because there are specific kernel modules for vmware and some vpn software, so getting a new kernel means installing a new kernel module for the new kernel.

Just boot into the previous kernel until you have time to make a new kernel module for the new kernel for the application that depends on that kernel module.

Case in point, the webcam on my laptop only works if I insert the kernel module for the web cam into the kernel, and when I update to a new kernel, I just reinsert the module for the web cam into the new kernel. Otherwise the built in web cam won't work.

Same with vmware. Just figure out which module it is that you need and learn how to insert a module into the kernel to make it painless each time.

the command is

insmod

I think and you have to know the name of the module. Don't forget to do this under sudo.

As far as updates go, my system runs better each time I receive an update. I know that my system is getting more secure and that the developers are looking out for my security by offering updates for my system on a timely basis.

One can always lock certain applications from updating in Synaptic and choosing lock version, and you can turn automatic updates if you like. I turned of updates in Gutsy after it became stable for what I was doing. It worked for me and this may be the answer you are looking for. But, Hardy is a very new version and there will be revisions and upgrades regularly for many months to come in the name of a more secure and stable system.

Do what you will, but I like the updates.

You don't, just turn them off.

Good luck, and I hope that this helps.