PDA

View Full Version : suggest me a good programming forum please!

azzamite
July 3rd, 2008, 10:04 PM
Hi there,
Does anyone knows of a good forum as active as ubuntu's but about
programming in general?

Since I program in python, c++ and java and hopefully latter in C# and
ajax, I want to subscribe to a forum in which I can ask about at lest
all those languages, if it is possible including the IDE's.

Should someone know of a forum like that pelase let me know.

pmasiar
July 3rd, 2008, 10:25 PM
Why not here? Was any of your question mistreated? (beyond discussion trailing off-topic as it always does?)

most people program in many languages, and use specific forum for each, and do not "program in general", bacause they want to solve specific problems.

You may investigate mailing lists and usenet forums. If you find good forum for each language, please let us know here too :-)

azzamite
July 3rd, 2008, 10:35 PM
Why not here? Was any of your question mistreated? (beyond discussion trailing off-topic as it always does?)

most people program in many languages, and use specific forum for each, and do not "program in general", bacause they want to solve specific problems.

You may investigate mailing lists and usenet forums. If you find good forum for each language, please let us know here too :-)

Mabe I missused the term "program in general", what I mean with that is that I want a forum with subforums for each programming language, since I don't like registring in every single forum in sight.

Why not ask in here?
I don't plan to make anyone less, I'm not a good programmer my self, but I think that I may get better answers if I as in a forum dedicated to that, since I will not ask how to show a dialog box, but how to personalize an AbstractTableModel to show the info from the DB in certain way...

LaRoza
July 3rd, 2008, 11:08 PM
Hi there,
Does anyone knows of a good forum as active as ubuntu's but about
programming in general?

Since I program in python, c++ and java and hopefully latter in C# and
ajax, I want to subscribe to a forum in which I can ask about at lest
all those languages, if it is possible including the IDE's.

Should someone know of a forum like that pelase let me know.

This forum is for all programming questions. The questions do not have to be directly related to Ubuntu and any programming language is allowed.

You can ask about all of those languages, and you can (after reading the sticky) ask about IDE's.

Sinkingships7
July 4th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Daniweb (http://www.daniweb.com) is pretty nice. Just go to any of the subforums under "Software Development".

jspolen
July 4th, 2008, 01:29 AM
You might try http://www.dreamincode.net/

Pretty good, not quite as good as this one though :KS

danbuter
July 4th, 2008, 01:34 AM
http://forums.devshed.com/

ghostdog74
July 4th, 2008, 02:11 AM

well, my opinion only. if i were a newbie, i wouldn't want to post here too. I personally like categorization. If i have a problem with C for example , i post in the C subforum. People who genuinely knows an answer in C will post in C subforum.
Posting all problems related to different languages in 1 main forum invites all sorts of replies and its messy too. sometimes also leading to flames and off-topic as you said.

azzamite
July 4th, 2008, 02:34 AM
Tankx, I think I'll stay with www.daniweb.com/ since it looks more... "clean", and with content blocking, no ads :)

www.dreamincode.net is got too many ads for my liking

and http://forums.devshed.com/ ... well, mabe for other time.

Announcement: We only give homework help to those who show effort
:lol:

NathanB
July 4th, 2008, 02:36 AM
http://www.programmersheaven.com/mb/

slavik
July 4th, 2008, 03:24 AM
well, my opinion only. if i were a newbie, i wouldn't want to post here too. I personally like categorization. If i have a problem with C for example , i post in the C subforum. People who genuinely knows an answer in C will post in C subforum.
Posting all problems related to different languages in 1 main forum invites all sorts of replies and its messy too. sometimes also leading to flames and off-topic as you said.
you mean like "Why use C? Python is better for beginners." type of thing? (Yes, I am looking at you).

ghostdog74
July 4th, 2008, 03:39 AM
you mean like "Why use C? Python is better for beginners." type of thing?
Those can be classified under other categories. For people genuinely wanting to get solutions/suggestions for the language they use, they should post in subforums. The problem with no categorization means everybody can post what they like.

(Yes, I am looking at you).
who? me?

slavik
July 4th, 2008, 03:40 AM
Those can be classified under other categories. For people genuinely wanting to get solutions/suggestions for the language they use, they should post in subforums. The problem with no categorization means everybody can post what they like.

who? me?
But it doesn't usually happen here (volume is low enough that we don't need subforums, thank god. :))

Well ... maybe. ;)