PDA

View Full Version : How do you name your computer(s)?

MidnightJulia
July 3rd, 2008, 08:50 PM
Do you have I system like I do? I personally name all my computers after norse mythology gods. Right now I've got Odin & Thor and Loki.

/MJ

atomkarinca
July 3rd, 2008, 08:55 PM
My current one's name is my RPG name: Lothloriel.

celsdogg
July 3rd, 2008, 08:58 PM
mine all have female names. currently we have Valerie, Sarah, Margaret, Josephine, and Emily/Anastasia and Katie, the router.

in the past i have had Michelle, Michelle II, and Jill.

kprowell
July 3rd, 2008, 08:58 PM
Mine all end with 5150

:guitar:

Dr Small
July 3rd, 2008, 09:13 PM
It seems to me, I have seen another thread like this.

Darkade
July 3rd, 2008, 09:20 PM
I named my laptop Icarus, after the greek mithology guy, even though in spanish (My native language) laptop is femenine LOL. I just like the legend, the guy flew to close to sun you know.
My desktop, currently broken, is Oracle

Mateo
July 3rd, 2008, 09:52 PM
do you mean the host name?

gameryoshi600
July 3rd, 2008, 09:56 PM
I just keep it with what it comes with when installing the OS.

adamogardner
July 3rd, 2008, 10:01 PM
the machine is Gaia, Ubuntu is her son Cronus, then in virtual box I continue the greek pantheon Mandriva now is Rhea.

HansKisaragi
July 3rd, 2008, 10:08 PM
My current ubuntu box is called Iris
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iris_(mythology)

Aiello
July 3rd, 2008, 10:26 PM
For my friends and I, any desktop is called a compy and any laptop is called a lappy

questron
July 3rd, 2008, 10:39 PM
... i use jupiter moons. europa, kallisto, io, ganymede, adrasthea. when a machine is replaced, the new one keeps the name, an additional machine gets a new name. this means i can not own more than 63 machines at a time...

lukjad
July 3rd, 2008, 10:45 PM
Considering that my screen name is lukjad007 it should come as no surprise to you what I named my computer. Let me please present, my computer:
StationX

adamogardner
July 4th, 2008, 12:06 AM
i don't get it lukjad.

Mr_Chapendi
July 4th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Monsters from monster movies - my mythbuntu backend is theblob5 (the 5th install of linux) and the fileserver my friend is setting up is named mothra.

Redrazor39
July 4th, 2008, 01:04 AM
oh, the geekiness here hurts me :(

but I don't name my computers. I just say "My computer", "His Computer", "Your Computer", etc.

Separ
July 4th, 2008, 01:54 AM
I named mine DeepThought because it can be hard to use unless you know what it is that you want from it exactly. :)

Nessa
July 4th, 2008, 02:29 AM
I use brand/model or processor as names.

NEUR0M4NCER
July 4th, 2008, 03:26 AM
My global nick is the computer name... Router is called Straylight :)

Ioky
July 4th, 2008, 04:11 AM
I name my system base one how they born with. for example, my Desktop is BiTuX. It is a Desktop I build base on the BTX form factor(It is not longer be made for parts, but Most company still use it, in fact only use it, because it is better for cooling.) and it is the first Linux box I have maked just for Linux. windows even touch the system. so the BTX is upper case, and Bi means binary which is what computer use to compute. and Tux, you know what it is.so it mean a BTX form factor Linux computer.

and my laptop names Varius because it is a laptop, and I am think to install Arch Linux on it at the first people, but no success. So I install Xubuntu instead. But my finally goal is to get Arch Linux run on it because it will fix the Laptop at it's best shape. and I will do it when i get the knowledge to do so. Varius mean it will be running a Various OS.

Lord Xeb
July 4th, 2008, 04:25 AM
I generally name my computers based on what pops into my head first. Each install/re-install is has a different name. My current one is Omnious, but I have had others like Xebraethus (my XBL name, which was Lord Xebraethus), nathan (which is my real name), Xeb (again short for Xebraethus), my next may be Gaigolus (don't ask).

SirThom
July 4th, 2008, 05:53 AM
When I was in High School I named my spray-painted blue TRS-80 Model 100 blue ice after how it looked. I was going to call it SubZero but I found out that that was the name of a mortal combat character, and everyone commented as such.
When the family got an iMac I didn't name it, but years later when I came back to help upgrade to the newest version of OS X, I names it Ultimo-4000. I wanted to name it after the Cartman robot on south park, but I forgot that it was called Awesome-O.
I had a radar detector names Dmitri (after the character from The Brothers Karazamakov).
I had a few used laptops that I messed about with in the very late 90s/ early 2000s which all exploded or collapsed in one way or another. I had wanted to install linux on them but one needed a LOT more technical expertise to do so back them. So I was stuck with Windows 95 or 3.1. One was a rubbish Compaq. Another was a butterfly keyboard thinkpad (I liked that one and was sad when it's battery exploded and flooded the board with battery acid). I can't remember what I named them, but the thinkpad had this wicked Sorayama desktop picture which looked really hot on the machine (especially when I opened it and the keyboard expanded).
My G4 Powerbook I named Woz. I emailed Woz to tell him and he thanked me for the honour. My iPod shuffle is named Jobs (I didn't compromise by getting a shuffle, guys, it's the one that best fits my needs). :-P My Ubuntu powered hp pavilion laptop is named archimedes (because it's hot to not capitalise proper nouns, and I was on an archimedes of syracuse kick at the time).

and my cars, in order of ownership-
1989 Pontiac Grand Am - Gadgetmobile
1988 Toyota Camry - El Toro (I wanted to mount steer horns on the grille)
1986 VW Golf - Der Blaue Engel
1999 Honda Accord - The Black Plague

Lord Xeb
July 4th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Cool. that is interesting..... Once I build a first full computer (it will be linux) I am not sure what I am going to name it.

SirThom
July 4th, 2008, 06:30 AM
I'd like to build my next machine. Of course that won't be for a few years from now.
There are guides to how to do it on the interweb. Hopefully I won't screw up.

kornhead127
July 4th, 2008, 06:39 AM
City and Ship names from The Matrix

Workgroup: Zion
Dell (family comp): nebuchadnezzar
My comp: vigilant
Laptop: logos

Erdaron
July 4th, 2008, 09:03 AM
My computers form an imaginary Soviet army, so they are all Red[Something]. Present and past names include RedHQ, RedScout, RedMobile, and RedTank. I'm currently building a new box that will probably be named RedStriker. If I ever come around to buying one of those eeePC (or something similarly tiny), I want to name it RedSpetsnaz.

frup
July 4th, 2008, 09:08 AM
a current naming scheme my brother and I are using for fun, and because thinking of names became boring, is having kind of palindromic letters that also read the same upside down.

for example, adpe, qunb etc.

thschiavo
July 4th, 2008, 09:15 AM
My brother's computer name is ecstasy... There, my user is... jhon @ ecstasy.... :???:

Today, my desktop is BigLab and my laptop is LittleLab... Boring, isn't it? One year ago, my desktop was Tenac, from Tenacious D... Okay, these are the worst names, hahahaha

diskotek
July 4th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Disko :)

MissingLink
July 4th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Currently, I named it Skynet. I like the way it sounds :)

KenBW2
July 4th, 2008, 01:49 PM
What my computer's called?
My computer/laptop
The Hostname:
kenneth-desktop and kenneth-laptop

What? You wanted something geekier?

Roberticus
July 4th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Current laptop name:
Slaptop

lukjad
July 4th, 2008, 02:41 PM
i don't get it lukjad.

Ha. Ha. Ha. Very... funny.:-?

andrek
July 4th, 2008, 03:06 PM
hostname - Snakepit

macogw
July 4th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Women in computing is my theme
I've got Ada (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_lovelace), Grace (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_hopper), and (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betty_Jean_Jennings) Betty (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betty_Holberton)

deejaypip
July 4th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Dear OP: As a Norse mythology dork, I love that naming scheme. I vote that you name your next computer 'hemidall'.

As for the question on hand, it varies. Right now I name them after movie characters. My current computer is Tyler Durden.

Erdaron
July 4th, 2008, 06:09 PM
As for the question on hand, it varies. Right now I name them after movie characters. My current computer is Tyler Durden.

Does it run another OS in a VM?

MidnightJulia
July 5th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Does it run another OS in a VM?

Hahaha! Great one :)

MidnightJulia
July 5th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Dear OP: As a Norse mythology dork, I love that naming scheme.

So that makes two of us :)