PDA

View Full Version : VNC vs Terminal Services

snowjunkie
November 1st, 2005, 11:14 AM
Guys,

I have been messing about for months using VNC to access my XP desktop... the vncviewer that comes with ubuntu would just hang if I scrolled the screen at all (xp resolution is much higher). So, I used to the kde vnc viewer client (on gnome) with better success. Just recently it started to give me trouble too...

Then I found a thread that mentioned terminal services.... I tried it out last night and it is AMAZING. It fits my xp desktop to my laptop resolution (wide screen) and the response is simply fantastic. I won't be going back to VNC to access my XP desktop again! Why didn't anyone tell me about this before?!

;-)

Al.

WildTangent
November 1st, 2005, 02:39 PM
Ah yes, one of the few things Microsoft did right with Windows. You can use a linux app (can't remember the name, but it comes with Ubuntu) to access it via RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) as well, but you need to play with the settings in the program before you log in, otherwise you'll be using 8 bit color, and 640x480 res :P

-Wild

majikstreet
November 1st, 2005, 03:37 PM
??????????

TravisNewman
November 1st, 2005, 07:17 PM
I believe the app that wildtangent mentioned is just called "rdesktop"

majikstreet
November 1st, 2005, 08:04 PM
o_O

I'd like to do this: be able to connect from Windows to Ubuntu.

souki
November 1st, 2005, 08:23 PM
I'd like to do this: be able to connect from Windows to Ubuntu.

try this http://www.nomachine.com/ you wont beleive it
the free version is called freenx (it was in breezy-backport)

I didn't try on ubuntu (yet)

snowjunkie
November 1st, 2005, 11:46 PM
but you need to play with the settings in the program before you log in, otherwise you'll be using 8 bit color, and 640x480 res

Yeah, I changed it to full screen 24 bit colour... don't have to get up now and go upstairs... :p

WildTangent
November 2nd, 2005, 02:20 AM
That's the one :P Very useful for administering my home network, because all the other computers are Windows, though I'm working on changing that ;)

-Wild

UbuWu
November 2nd, 2005, 01:31 PM

Tsclient (apps -> internet -> terminal server client) is much easier to use.

snowjunkie
November 2nd, 2005, 03:00 PM
Tsclient (apps -> internet -> terminal server client) is much easier to use.
That's the one I'm using and it's perfect.

majikstreet
November 2nd, 2005, 09:49 PM
can you access a WinXP remote desktop from the internet? Like if it's not on your lan? how? I forget, is the windows remote desktop easy to start for a person who's not too good with computers?

pete
November 2nd, 2005, 09:54 PM
can you access a WinXP remote desktop from the internet? Like if it's not on your lan? how? I forget, is the windows remote desktop easy to start for a person who's not too good with computers?

You can, as long as you know the public IP address of your WinXP machine. Also, if you have a router/firewall between that machine and the internet, you would need to tell it to forward the RDP port (3389, I believe) to the WinXP box.

Of course, you've then made it possible for anyone *else* on the Internet to access your WinXP machine via remote desktop, so proceed with caution...

majikstreet
November 2nd, 2005, 10:06 PM
unless you use a password :)

pete
November 2nd, 2005, 10:09 PM
That's why I said "possible" :> Just make sure the password is reasonably complex.

majikstreet
November 2nd, 2005, 10:12 PM
ahh......

I'll have to get into my grandmothers router (set up by my uncle so he can use his laptop in their house.. now it's mainly used for their tivo+wireless) to forward that port in case she ever should need help :)