PDA

View Full Version : Gift Ideas for a Linux addict

belovedmonster
July 3rd, 2008, 08:42 PM
I want to get a gift for a member of my family who is Linux mad but I dont know what to get.

I was thinking of getting a cuddly Tux, but the only decent looking one I've been able to find is this one (http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/plush/288e/), which is really lovely looking and cheap to boot, but unfortunately the postage charges to the UK are very expensive (double the cost of the actual Tux!)

So does anyone know where I can get an equally good looking and inexpensive Tux here in the UK?

Failing that can anyone else suggest some good Linux related gift ideas?? I'm open to anything so long as its available to the UK and costs less than £15.

lukjad
July 3rd, 2008, 08:54 PM
Depends. If the linux nut is a true nut any hard to find program may be a good gift.

You could also try to get a package of really nice wallpaper. Stickers that have "Linux," "Ubuntu," or whatever are a cute little present.

sleepingdragon
July 3rd, 2008, 09:36 PM
Try installing a custom distro on a USB memory stick.

Memory stick: £10
Distro: FREE
Experience of installing a custom-made distro and giving it to a loved one: Priceless

Suddenly realizing how geeky that all sounds: indescribable

|{urse
July 3rd, 2008, 09:42 PM
buy them a (real) penguin. You know you've always wanted one.

brunovecchi
July 3rd, 2008, 11:01 PM
Get him/her an ubuntu mug.

Trail
July 4th, 2008, 07:35 AM
That USB-Rocket launcher thing.

JT9161
July 4th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Whats there favorite Distro ?

belovedmonster
July 4th, 2008, 08:32 AM
He is a distro hopper.

akiratheoni
July 4th, 2008, 09:11 AM
There's an Ubuntu store but the items are kind of pricey at least for me.

JT9161
July 4th, 2008, 09:06 PM
He is a distro hopper.

Perhaps blank media for Live CDs although sleepingdragon's idea is pretty good, you can never have enough storage.