PDA

View Full Version : Should there be a "How to Help" Menu?

DoctorMO
July 3rd, 2008, 07:04 PM
We are a community, most of us like helping out (those on the forums anyway) some of us are programmers, others report bugs, answer questions, do research or translations.

Now as our user base grows beyond the traditional base of helpful, community orientated people. Should we start thinking about ways of letting people know that they _can_ help with ubuntu?

My idea is to add a new System menu into the operating system, one that is titled "How to Help" Inside the menu would be links to various websites or help pages designed to explain what needs doing. One entry might be "Donate to project" which goes to a website with all the projects.

The sort of thing would make the idea of helping and what it is possible to help with, visible to users while not forcing it on them or nagging at the apathetic community that lots of people don't do anything to help.

If you know of things that could be added to such a menu post them below; I'd also like to hear from others about the general concept. I'm going to list out all the ways to help I can think of:

* Develop Software (programming/packaging maybe redundant)
- Programming
- Drawing Graphics
- Creating Sound FX
* Language Translations
* Testing and Bug Tracking
* Write Help Files/Guides
* Provide Community Support (IRC/Forums)
* Local Advocacy (LoCo Groups)
* Donate Money
* Draw for OpenClipArt
* Speak for VoxForge/LibriVox

Anything else?

RiceMonster
July 3rd, 2008, 07:17 PM
Well, there's a link saying "get involved" right on the front page of ubuntu.com which covers these things. I think most people who want to help out are going to look on the website anyway, and it's not like they made it hard to find.

So in short, I don't think it's necessary, but I'm not against it (especially since I don't use Ubuntu :p).

DoctorMO
August 12th, 2008, 03:24 AM
I'm surprised I only got one reply since the idea isn't as daft as I assume the forum members think it is.

bmac
August 12th, 2008, 05:39 AM
Assuming anything is a bad idea.....:)