PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] PCMCIA TV Tuner Card

Hunnicutt
July 3rd, 2008, 06:57 PM
I have Ubuntu Hardy running on my R32 IBM Laptop. I am very happy with it. For what I need it for it is by far the best thing I have seen. I am a newby to Linux and UBUNTU so I bring my question here.

I want to be able to watch some TV on the Ubuntu box. I know that this is possable and I just flat out don't know where to start. Can someone send me some info on:

What PCMCIA card is the easiest to setup and get going
What program should I use, I have seen something out there called myTV or MythTV or somesuch.

Thanks for any help as I am so new. I am not really looking to DVR anything, but it would be nice just in case.

:popcorn:

Hunnicutt
July 5th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Anyone? I would love to not get the wrong thing. Please, some advise...

Erlander
July 5th, 2008, 11:00 AM
You will probably find it easier to get a USB2 tuner card.

Which sort will depend on where you are, your tv standard (PAL or NTSC) and whether your laptop has USB2 ports as distinct from USB1

Rob

lswb
July 5th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Go to http://linuxtv.org and look for their compatibility section. Some cards will be recognized and drivers loaded out of the box, YMMV with make & model.

Hunnicutt
July 20th, 2008, 10:01 PM
OK I have USB1 I am sure. I was told that I should install OS/X and use Firewire with a Cable Box. However after some work with it I have come to the Realization OS/X sucks and is harder to get things working in then Linux is for this Newb. I am really stuck here and don't know what to get for this system. Is there anyone that can give me a clear answer. I went to linuxtv.org and just got lost in a sea of information and terms I didn't understand. What I could make out is that I should get a Hauppauge USB card. But I don't know which one. For some reason I think the 900 is the one I should get. Any help please cause if I have to use OS/X much longer without an answer for the Linux side I might revert to the dark side and install Windows.

Is this what I would want?

http://www.priceaddress.com/product_info.php?language=en&currency=USD&products_id=14151

Signed

Lost and confused