PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgraded from Gutsy to Hardy, doesn't boot

todlangweilig
July 3rd, 2008, 05:23 PM
I've upgraded the server version of Gutsy with GNOME desktop installed to Hardy and now the computer won't boot. The only thing it says after the GRUB menu is "Starting up ..." The kernel version is 2.6.24-19-server . The recovery mode doesn't work either. However the 2.6.22-15 version works, which I believe is from Gutsy. I have also tried removing 'quiet' from the boot options and adding 'acpi=force', to no avail.
Anyone have any ideas? :( Thanks

todlangweilig
July 4th, 2008, 04:04 PM
bump

steveneddy
July 4th, 2008, 04:18 PM
In my opinion, upgrading is just asking for trouble. A fresh reinstall if Hardy should get you up and running, just be sure to backup your personal info.

Try booting into the -15 version of the kernel and backup any files you need, if it will boot, that is.

Other than that, I don't have any advice.

The -19 version of the kernel is the newest version.

I wish I had better advice for you.

todlangweilig
July 4th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I agree that upgrading is asking for trouble. I figured that they had most of the bugs worked out in upgrading, since the upgrade button has been there for 2 or 3 releases. I guess I assumed incorrectly. Doing a fresh install is probably the easiest solution.
I'll back up my files and give my server a second attempt in a few weeks. Thanks for the advice.