PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

darksoul7
July 3rd, 2008, 05:18 PM
Hey guys,

I'm a complete Linux noob... well, not total noob, but pretty close and I have just installed Ubuntu. Needless to say I am slowly replacing all the Windows apps I was using with their Linux counterparts in hopes to phase out ******* completely.

In short, I freakin' love Ubuntu!

I figured I would share a website that's been pretty useful to me - www.itcamefromtheinternet.com

It's run by my good friend, WebThingy, and he is the one that guided me to Ubuntu and helped me learn some basic and some slighty more advanced Ubuntu terminal commands (everything from ls to sudo). Check out the site, maybe you'll find something you enjoy on there.

Besides that... HELLO UBUNTU COMMUNITY! I'll most likely be posting more and more as I expand my knowledge of Linux and hopefully may find some solutions to problems some other users are encoutering (I'm currently enrolled in a program that will get me a Linux+ certification from CompTIA).

Cheers, and I look forward to hearing from you.

dark
N. Vancouver, BC:guitar:

Canis familiaris
July 3rd, 2008, 05:29 PM
Welcome to the community.

Kosimo
July 3rd, 2008, 05:30 PM
Welcome!
Benvenuto!
Benvingut!

And don't hesitate to post here any question you have!

darksoul7
July 3rd, 2008, 05:42 PM
Thank you for the welcome, and believe me, I will be posting lots and lots of questions! lol

Right now I'm trying to find a valid way to get my ATI Radeon X850XT to work properly on my system. I've already installed the newest drivers from ATI which did give me a slight performance boost but not enough to run games. Also, I just can't get Team Fortress 2 to run. I've found out that this is directly linked to my video card so I'll be purchasing an nVidia card shortly.

So far I've had no other issues besides running games, which is the only reason I still have Windows installed on my machine.

I have heard of Envy which I may try once I get home today as soon as I back up my data.

I've started putting together a new machine that will run Ubuntu as the primary OS. Do you guys know of any issues with setting up a multi-processor system with Ubuntu? I know Linux can natively support multi-processors but I'm unaware to any possible issues that may arise with Ubuntu.

In any case, thanks again for the welcome!

Merci beaucoup!

madjr
July 3rd, 2008, 09:02 PM
Thank you for the welcome, and believe me, I will be posting lots and lots of questions! lol

Right now I'm trying to find a valid way to get my ATI Radeon X850XT to work properly on my system. I've already installed the newest drivers from ATI which did give me a slight performance boost but not enough to run games. Also, I just can't get Team Fortress 2 to run. I've found out that this is directly linked to my video card so I'll be purchasing an nVidia card shortly.

So far I've had no other issues besides running games, which is the only reason I still have Windows installed on my machine.

I have heard of Envy which I may try once I get home today as soon as I back up my data.

I've started putting together a new machine that will run Ubuntu as the primary OS. Do you guys know of any issues with setting up a multi-processor system with Ubuntu? I know Linux can natively support multi-processors but I'm unaware to any possible issues that may arise with Ubuntu.

In any case, thanks again for the welcome!

Merci beaucoup!

ubuntu should work fine.

oh and thanks for the website above is very nice.