PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HH freezes but not XP

karrank%
July 3rd, 2008, 04:53 PM
Why this should happen is a mystery to me. I thought upgrading from Dapper would solve the freezes but they're worse (more frequent and less prdictable/repeatable) and can't be defeated by keystrokes, only hard reset(power button)

Does anyone have any idea why, given the very same equip't and situations, Ubuntu should be so much less fault-tolerant than XP?

Considering "downgrading" to Dapper in the hopes of resolving this.

Or am I missing something obvious?

grenadier32
July 3rd, 2008, 05:00 PM
When the machine freezes, can you hit control-alt-F1, 2, 3, etc. to switch to a terminal and log in? Or does the entire machine freeze up? If so, it may be just the GDM or something in the GUI causing the problem instead of the whole machine.

If you can switch to a terminal, perhaps you can hit control-alt-backspace to restart X?

karrank%
July 3rd, 2008, 05:05 PM
When the machine freezes, can you hit control-alt-F1, 2, 3, etc. to switch to a terminal and log in? Or does the entire machine freeze up? If so, it may be just the GDM or something in the GUI causing the problem instead of the whole machine.

If you can switch to a terminal, perhaps you can hit control-alt-backspace to restart X?

Hey thanks, the entire machine freezes, no keyboard, mouse or screen response at all. I really like this OS, but my family thinks it's a dog for this (understandably good) reason.

grenadier32
July 3rd, 2008, 05:16 PM
Are there any logs you can see from when the crashing takes place? Like maybe in /var/log/syslog, /var/log/dmesg or /var/log/debug even from around when the crashes have occurred? Or do the log files just not have anything from those times?

You'll need root access to view them--you can do it with
sudo gedit [filename].

karrank%
July 3rd, 2008, 05:32 PM
Thanks,I'll look into it as soon as I return. Anything I should expect to see, or rather look for, in the log files?

transphorm
July 3rd, 2008, 05:34 PM
Same thing is happening to me now. Man that's weird. I thought it was comp but xp is fine.

karrank%
July 3rd, 2008, 05:49 PM
Same thing is happening to me now. Man that's weird. I thought it was comp but xp is fine.
so do you have a plain vanilla system like ours?

estyles
July 3rd, 2008, 05:53 PM
Don't know if this will help or not, but a lot of people were reporting freeze-ups due to compiz. Have you tried right-clicking the desktop, choosing properties, and setting visual-effects to None? There's also a way to disable compiz completely, but I believe that disabling visual-effects resolves some problems for some people...

karrank%
July 3rd, 2008, 05:57 PM
Don't know if this will help or not, but a lot of people were reporting freeze-ups due to compiz. Have you tried right-clicking the desktop, choosing properties, and setting visual-effects to None? There's also a way to disable compiz completely, but I believe that disabling visual-effects resolves some problems for some people...
already done, before the freezes ( don't need the eye candy), but thanks anyway.

transphorm
July 4th, 2008, 10:17 AM
I've been running hardy since release - no probs. Yesterday it started acting slow. Like pop and locking. Formatted did a clean hardy install - no updates - same thing. Only thing I can think of is that it's a hardware issue - but would XP remain unaffected? I think I'll flash my bios again.

One thing I did notice is that it seems to be the touchpad on my lappy. I noticed a lot of usb errors in the logs. I dunno just trying to help the next guy. ;)

grenadier32
July 4th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks,I'll look into it as soon as I return. Anything I should expect to see, or rather look for, in the log files?

Look for things that look like errors, or the system complaining about something. That might help you narrow down the problem if it's a hardware issue.