PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wubi installation seems OK, but screen is blank

Jamface
July 3rd, 2008, 04:32 PM
I have used Wubi to install Ubuntu 8.04 on my laptop. When I boot Windows I can see the Ubuntu files on the C: drive, but when I reboot using Ubuntu the screen goes blank except for a '-' cursor flashing to the left of the centre of the screen. I have looked at the Wubi Guide and tried Esc during the boot process but it did not remove the problem or give me a Ubuntu boot.

Installation from the LiveCD produced the same result/problem.

I would welcome any suggestions as to how I might fix this problem.
My laptop is a Sony PCG-FX109K with Pentium III 850MHz processor, 80GB HD and 0.5 GB RAM. Windows XP runs without a problem.
Many thanks
Bill

avtolle
July 3rd, 2008, 07:02 PM
Which are you using, the Wubi install or the Live CD install? I don't think it makes any difference, as the problem with which you are dealing is related to the kernel. BTW, what graphics card do you have?

EDIT: Take a look at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions as it is likely that you will need to try one or more of the boot options listed therein.

Jamface
July 4th, 2008, 03:39 PM
My Device Manager in Windows lists my Display adaptor as: 'Intel(R) 82815 Graphis Controller (Microsoft Corporation)'.
I'm using the Wubi install now, having tried the Live CD install which seemed to fail. But the end results (black sceeen with '-' cursor) seem to be the same.