PDA

View Full Version : Vimperator: make Firefox a lot cooler

RiceMonster
July 3rd, 2008, 05:23 AM
If you like and use Vim (which you should), check out vimperator (http://vimperator.mozdev.org/). It's an addon that makes firefox behave like Vim (using similar commands and keybindings). I think it's great.

macogw
July 3rd, 2008, 07:36 AM
I've used it, but I'd really prefer a way to use vim commands inside these text boxes, so I stop typing :wq at the end of my posts and then having to backspace it out.

mrgnash
July 3rd, 2008, 10:52 AM
Very cool. Thanks a lot of the heads up :D

mrgnash
July 3rd, 2008, 11:26 AM
By the way, is there any way that you can retain the functionality of the 'awesome bar' with this setup?

Trail
July 3rd, 2008, 12:01 PM
The name is fail.

Looks too much like 'vimprator'

RiceMonster
July 3rd, 2008, 04:40 PM
By the way, is there any way that you can retain the functionality of the 'awesome bar' with this setup?

type :set guioptions+=mT

brunovecchi
September 26th, 2008, 11:34 AM
This is exactly was I was looking for. After hours of browsing, my wristle hurt. Not anymore.
Gnome-Do + Vimperator = bye byer rodent.

chucky chuckaluck
September 26th, 2008, 11:47 AM
when's nanorator coming out?

Dr Small
September 26th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I love Vimperator. I've had it on Firefox for about a week, and it is awesome. I can't imaging going back to the old Firefox layout. I turned off the tab-bar, for a more qualifying experience, also :)

brunovecchi
September 26th, 2008, 11:28 PM
There's also muttator, a Thunderbird extension to make it a behave like Vim. It's in early development though.

Dr Small
September 26th, 2008, 11:29 PM
There's also muttator, a Thunderbird extension to make it a behave like Vim. It's in early development though.
Yes, I saw that, but I don't use Thunderbird.

jazty
February 1st, 2009, 06:52 PM
Does anybody know how to turn the status bar on while in fullscreen with Vimperator? I found a ticket that seems to explain something, but I can't get it to work: http://vimperator.org/trac/ticket/45.

init1
February 1st, 2009, 08:33 PM
Eh, I tried to go mouseless once by using dwm and vimperator. I just couldn't make the switch.

cardinals_fan
February 1st, 2009, 08:35 PM
Eh, I tried to go mouseless once by using dwm and vimperator. I just couldn't make the switch.
I'm loving that combo right now :)

thisllub
February 1st, 2009, 09:44 PM
Openbox,Gmrun & Vimperator is near perfection.

juanmoreno92
February 9th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Vimperator is the best thing to happen to me since sliced bread.

Cl0ud9
February 9th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Firemacs (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4141) is great if you like and use emacs(which you should).

Dr Small
February 10th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Firemacs (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4141) is great if you like and use emacs(which you should).
This is not the place to be talking about your beloved OS. We are talking about Vimperator which uses Vim functionality; not emacs :D

RiceMonster
February 10th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Firemacs (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4141) is great if you like and use emacs(which you shouldn't).

Yeah more or less

sertse
February 10th, 2009, 12:37 AM
I personally use keyconfig, and manually rebind my firefox to use e/links keybindings :D

Dr Small
February 14th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Here's a little custom command that I just wrote (after reading the documentation). It takes you to the Noah Webster 1828 dictionary and looks up the word for you, based on your input.

Like, the usage would be:

:define battle

Here's the command:

:command -nargs=1 define tabopen http://1828.sorabji.com/r.sorabji?word=<args>

Of course, you can replace the address to your own dictionary if you please, but this saves me a few clicks from a search engine when I want to look up the definition of a word. :)

Cheers!

dannytatom
February 14th, 2009, 06:07 PM
I've been using it for a few days now, and it's pretty cool. I never use Vim, so it's a bit confusing still.

AopicieR
February 27th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Hi,

I've been using Vimperator for quite a while now and I love it. Still I have three questions:
1) Is there a command similar to vim's "q:"? Let's say you've mistyped an URL and now you want to change it. How do you do it? At the moment I have to type : and then use the arrow keys to first scroll through the command history and then through the URL, which is unbearably slow. Even the standard emacs commands like Ctrl-p to go up in the history don't work.

2) When using hints I can type the first few letters of a link to narrow down the possibilities. But what if I want to jump to a field of some form which doesn't contain anything? The search field of this forum is a good example. Here the hint number it gets is 3 which is ok, but on other sites the number will be very large and I often mistype it.

Ok, I found the answer to question 3.
set editor=urxvt -e vim -f
in .vimperatorrc works fine.
3) When pressing Ctrl-i in a form gvim opens. Is there a way to invoke vim for this? I know that I can use "set editor" to define the editor called, but of course setting it to vim doesn't work. I've tried setting it to urxvt -e vim, but that doesn't work either.

Thank you.

sharon.gmc
February 27th, 2009, 10:34 AM
I think Vimperator is pretty cool!

maple
March 6th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Hi,
1) Is there a command similar to vim's "q:"? Let's say you've mistyped an URL and now you want to change it. How do you do it? At the moment I have to type : and then use the arrow keys to first scroll through the command history and then through the URL, which is unbearably slow. Even the standard emacs commands like Ctrl-p to go up in the history don't work.

If I understand what your saying, try 'shift+o'. Just like 'o' but puts the current url in there. same with 't' and 'shift+t'

mcduck
March 6th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Is there anything that makes Firefox behave like ed? :D

thisllub
March 7th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Here's a little custom command that I just wrote (after reading the documentation). It takes you to the Noah Webster 1828 dictionary and looks up the word for you, based on your input.

Like, the usage would be:

:define battle

Here's the command:

:command -nargs=1 define tabopen http://1828.sorabji.com/r.sorabji?word=<args>

Of course, you can replace the address to your own dictionary if you please, but this saves me a few clicks from a search engine when I want to look up the definition of a word. :)

Cheers!

Why would you use the Webster dictionary?
All the spelling is wrong and it is his fault.

Dr Small
March 7th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Why would you use the Webster dictionary?
All the spelling is wrong and it is his fault.
Because that's the dictionary I use.

kk0sse54
March 7th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Opera & Vimperopera FTW! :D

DeadRobot
March 7th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Wow this is seriously cool.

One questions.

After typing :bmarks and getting to the list of bookmarks is there a way to access these bookmarks by the keyboard or do you have to click on them with the mouse?

AopicieR
March 8th, 2009, 04:57 PM
If I understand what your saying, try 'shift+o'. Just like 'o' but puts the current url in there. same with 't' and 'shift+t'
Thanks, this is an improvement over ":" and then "arrow up". Still it would be nice to be able to modify the url without the arrow keys. If at least "Ctrl-f" and "Ctrl-b" were available instead of "arrow right" and "arrow left"...