PDA

View Full Version : Whats the most popular email program that Ubuntu users use?

Darrin
November 1st, 2005, 05:18 AM
The only ones I know of for linux are Evolution, the K one ( I forgot the name ), Opera's M2, and thunderbird. I use evolution. Even though evolution is the only linux one Ive tried, I think it is a rock solid application, not only similar to Outlook but in my opinion, better. Are there any others out there? Which do you use?

Gaming_Junkie
November 1st, 2005, 05:41 AM
The only ones I know of for linux are Evolution, the K one ( I forgot the name ), Opera's M2, and thunderbird. I use evolution. Even though evolution is the only linux one Ive tried, I think it is a rock solid application, not only similar to Outlook but in my opinion, better. Are there any others out there? Which do you use?

I just started using Ubuntu a couple months ago. I use Thunderbird exclusively, and it is an awesome email program. After all, it's from the same people who made Firefox. You can install it using Synaptic by searching for "thunderbird." I never tried Evolution, but I was told to use Thunderbird by my friend who told me to switch to Ubuntu. Really easy to set up and use.

jmcnaught
November 1st, 2005, 06:13 AM
i use evolution because it is very well integrated. for example, the calendar that drops down when you click on the clock on the right of the top GNOME panel bolds days that have appointments, and lists them if the day is selected. it also shows pending todo items.

if you look in synaptic, gaim has an evolution plug-in so you can synchronize your buddy list with the address book in evolution.

KMail (comes with KDE) is also very good, I used it for years. It's very well integrated with the rest of KDE, and if you want a full PIM application with calendar/tasks/address book etc you can run Kontact. Kontact is really just KMail and the other KDE PIM tools glued together into one application.

Thunderbird is really cool because of all the extensions that are available for it. Thunderbird's Enigmail PGP/GnuPG extension offers far more flexibility to Evolution's PGP support. Maybe I just can't see it, but is there an automated way to attach my public key to a message? Thunderbird does not have an integrated calendar. Mozilla Sunbird will provide that eventually I guess.

There are also Balsa and Sylpheed, but I haven't tried them out.

Another good one is the email client that comes with the Mozilla suite. It's very similar to Thunderbird and Netscape 7.

Also check out Pine (which stands for Pine Is Not Elm), a mail client for the terminal. It's very easy to learn and use. With Pine you can access your email client on your computer from any computer with SSH (assuming you know how to get sshd working).

bionnaki
November 1st, 2005, 06:13 AM
mozilla thunderbird rules.

Sykil
November 1st, 2005, 06:17 AM
I like Evolution---the power really shows when you have a high-volume Inbox.

jonzep
November 1st, 2005, 06:18 AM
yes thunderbird is good, however it really depends on what you're looking for... an outlook/outlook express replacement? do you need specific features... personally i just use the most basic features of thunberbird for my purposes.

bradroger
November 1st, 2005, 06:30 AM
gmail!

not being tied to an email client made my recent switch from windows to linux just that much easier.

felix_stegerman
November 1st, 2005, 06:45 AM
Mutt - "All mail clients suck. This one just sucks less."

Felix

dpdt1
November 1st, 2005, 07:27 AM
thunderbird!
i used it in windows and it worked great. i had it fully customizable according to my needs, so i just copied the profile folder to my ubuntu home dir. no need to create any accounts at all. it was all there. i only had to to change the profile file to point at the win profile.
easy as that.

openmind
November 1st, 2005, 07:30 AM
Thunderbird suits all of my needs for home use, if they would let us use Linux at work I guess I might consider Evolution.

zigford
November 1st, 2005, 09:59 AM

Felix

Amen breathren.

Mutt is king

temcat
November 1st, 2005, 10:50 AM
Try Sylpheed. It's very powerful and *lightning fast*! No integration with IM and calendaring though, but I don't need it, so I'm happy with Sylhpeed. Be sure to install Sylpheed 2.x, not 1.x (because 2.x uses GTK2 UI toolkit).

Denis
November 1st, 2005, 11:08 AM
I use Mozilla Thunderbird. It has all the features I need. A calendar is not included, but I have no need for it. I've been using Thunderbird for a long time (also in Windows), so I'm quite familiar with the program. In fact, I didn't try any other email client during those years. I did start evolution once, just to see how it looks. At first sight, it didn't seem to have any real benefit over Thunderbird.

pickarooney
November 1st, 2005, 12:06 PM
Opera M2. I never liked Thunderbird, always found it slow, clunky and ugly on Linux. TBH, I've never seen any need for any of the complex e-mail clients.

dom
November 1st, 2005, 12:14 PM
thunderbird,
love the junk filtering
using also the calendar plugin

matva
November 1st, 2005, 01:57 PM
Opera M2. I never liked Thunderbird, always found it slow, clunky and ugly on Linux. TBH, I've never seen any need for any of the complex e-mail clients.

seconded.

Darrin
November 1st, 2005, 02:00 PM
Opera is what I was using on windows as default. You cant beat the mail indexing. But I missed the ability to create html emails, which I do from time to time.

fxgogo
November 1st, 2005, 05:15 PM
Thunderbird for me. I have tried Sylpheed for a bit, but it seemed a bit too bitsy. I must look at the new GTK2 version however. I am eying Evolution as it has sync features to my Treo, and I miss having a centralised addressbook. I have a old P3 laptop and the speed of thunderbird and evolution seem comparable.

cbudden
November 1st, 2005, 05:27 PM
I like Thunderbird because I used it in Windows before i switched to Linux, and it is also not too complicated.

Pathogenix
November 1st, 2005, 05:46 PM
Haven't used a local email client in years. I've stuck to webmail for many a moon, and with GMail I don't see much reason to change my ways. Even The Boss knows better than to send things to my exchange account now :)

rplantz
November 1st, 2005, 06:38 PM
Felix

Can you point me to a good HowTo for setting up mutt on my amd64 ubuntu?

I need to access several email accounts, both imap and pop, through my isp.

Almost all the information I've seen so far assumes that I'm on a LAN with a mail server.

Thanks,
Bob

felix_stegerman
November 1st, 2005, 11:20 PM
Can you point me to a good HowTo for setting up mutt on my amd64 ubuntu?
I need to access several email accounts, both imap and pop, through my isp.
Almost all the information I've seen so far assumes that I'm on a LAN with a mail server.

I did indeed use my own (local) MTA (mail server). That seemed like the best
solution, and (as long as you keep mail delivery local, so you don't relay mail
for the entire world) that shouldn't pose any problems.

My setup (on Debian):

* exim4 as local MTA (sends mail through my ISP's smtp server)
* procmail to filter my incoming messages
* a fetchmail deamon to get mail from my ISP every 5 min (multidrop mailbox)
* I run fetchmail manually to get other mail from my other mail addresses.

Ubuntu uses postfix instead of exim by default, so you coult try that.
Otherwise exim4 can be installed from universe.

Setting up exim4 can be done when you install the package
(or by "dpkg-reconfigure"ing it.)
I just read the procmailrc & fetchmail man pages to get what I needed,
but I can post a sample configuration if you like.
The mutt manual (which I read entirely) should get you started quickly.
Like I said, if you want a sample configuration, I can post it.

I really like mutt. It's the best mail client I've ever seen.

Felix

rplantz
November 2nd, 2005, 05:41 AM
I just read the procmailrc & fetchmail man pages to get what I needed,
but I can post a sample configuration if you like.
Felix

Thank you for your help and your offer.

I got it working, so I'll hold off on looking at the "answers" (your sample configs.) untill I get stuck again. :-)

Since postfix was already installed, I used that.

Now I need to read the mutt manual and continue on with my learning.

Bob

ecobuntu
November 2nd, 2005, 05:46 AM
Thank you for your help and your offer.

I got it working, so I'll hold off on looking at the "answers" (your sample configs.) untill I get stuck again. :-)

Since postfix was already installed, I used that.

Now I need to read the mutt manual and continue on with my learning.

Bob

Thunderbird is the best IMO

pinoyskull
November 2nd, 2005, 05:57 AM
i've been using thunderbird ever since it appeared and i like it

dspp
November 2nd, 2005, 07:11 AM
Thunderbird is really cool because of all the extensions that are available for it. Thunderbird's Enigmail PGP/GnuPG extension offers far more flexibility to Evolution's PGP support. Maybe I just can't see it, but is there an automated way to attach my public key to a message? Thunderbird does not have an integrated calendar. Mozilla Sunbird will provide that eventually I guess.

You can get the Calendar extension from Mozilla that works well. I use it with Ubuntu 5.10 and Thunderbird 1.0.7.
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/download.html

Joh_
November 2nd, 2005, 09:01 AM
Ever since I got gmail, I've been using the webmail. Before that I used Thunderbird. Both in Linux, Windows, and OS X at school.

Riverside
November 2nd, 2005, 10:57 AM
I did indeed use my own (local) MTA (mail server). That seemed like the best
solution, and (as long as you keep mail delivery local, so you don't relay mail
for the entire world) that shouldn't pose any problems.

For completeness, I will mention that whilst an MTA running on one's local system is necessary in order to be able to send mail using Mutt, use of fetchmail, procmail etc is not necessary in order to be able to retrieve mail from externally hosted POP3 mail accounts using Mutt.

mutt -f pop://pop3.isp.example (substitute the POP3 server name of your own ISP, obviously)

Darrin
November 2nd, 2005, 01:31 PM
You can get the Calendar extension from Mozilla that works well. I use it with Ubuntu 5.10 and Thunderbird 1.0.7.
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/download.html
I think I did try that before. Its what the default set up is for Linspire I think. Its pretty nice also.

gabhla
November 2nd, 2005, 02:41 PM
At present, I'm using Evolution. I like it. It just does the job. Thunderbird is very similar, and I could just as easily use it.

blu.gecko
November 2nd, 2005, 03:47 PM
joh_ you can still use thunderbird or whatever using gmail, I use thunderbird and my account is gmail only.

Is it me or are there allot of new users on the ubuntu forum now? "shakes head in amazement"

:rolleyes: blu.

foolosophy
February 20th, 2006, 07:57 AM
do you know which one uses up less memory? evolution uses up a LOT.. and I only have 128mb ram...

gibson
February 20th, 2006, 02:20 PM
i just setup all my accounts (pop3) on my gmail and use from there.... i have gigs of storage space and can use my email from anywhere.

just have one firefox window open all the time wil gmail.... sorted.

mattheweast
February 20th, 2006, 02:22 PM
do you know which one uses up less memory? evolution uses up a LOT.. and I only have 128mb ram...

Sylpheed-claws is very nice, and is lighter.

JaspSoft
February 20th, 2006, 02:46 PM
gmail!

not being tied to an email client made my recent switch from windows to linux just that much easier.

I haven't used an email program since I signed up for gmail. It just does everything I need.

aysiu
February 20th, 2006, 06:03 PM
According to this poll from last month (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=114887), it's Thunderbird, then Evolution, then "other."

IYY
February 21st, 2006, 12:30 AM
GMail. And Pine.

Fred Doolie
February 21st, 2006, 12:38 AM
Thunderbird, oh yeah!

Lord Illidan
February 21st, 2006, 12:42 AM
Evolution. Though I might get the latest Thunderbird. Evolution's junk mail filtering is junk.

Gray.
February 21st, 2006, 01:42 AM
sylpheed

btdown
February 21st, 2006, 01:53 AM
I used Evolution until I got fed up with Evolutions junk mail/spam filtering not working. I then switched to Thunderbird and have been happy with it.

taelatus
February 21st, 2006, 03:53 AM
Perhaps someone reading this thread can help me. I just downloaded and configured Thunderbird 1.5 and installed a webmail extension I found online. The webmail extension allows me to check Hotmail. It works just fine. I also configured my school's IMAP mail. It works fine as well (I also happen to be on the same network as the mail server). My problem is when I try to access Gmail and Optimum Online (ISP) mail. When I try to send mail with either of these mail accounts, Thunderbird never seems to connect to the SMTP server. I just see the "connecting to smtp.domain.net" forever. I do know that when I first configured the webmail plugin, I had to specify a port higher than 1024 in order to be connected. My first thought regarding my current problem was that I am somehow blocked by default from accessing ports lower than 1024. I don't know this to be the case but at this point I don't know what to do. I've tried every security setting I can find in Thunderbird and I've checked all the port requirements and logon styles of the accounts I'm trying to configure. Has anyone encountered a problem similar to mine?

In case it helps:
Ubuntu 5.10
Firestarter is NOT installed.
I am on a school network. I have no router or local networking equipment to tweak.
I have not installed any networking packages that I'm aware of.

foolosophy
February 21st, 2006, 05:53 AM
no idea, dude.

Sylpheed is AWESOME! Evolution used to eat up 120+MB of my memory and sylpheed only uses 20+MB !!! (with the same mbox and contacts!)

Sylpheed has beaten them hands down. The only thing it lacks, to me, is some kind of aound alert when new mail arrives. It has the option to run a command. But I don't know how to trigger a simple sound (without opening xmms) from a command-line.

MarkBaum
February 21st, 2006, 08:10 AM
I currently use Evo with Gmail. I can't use gmail to send emails because I use my companies email as well, so I set all my email to forward to gmail, then enabled pop on gmail, then setup smtp to use my own domain again. This will change when/if I get into the Gmail hosted thing, and I will just use keep gmail up on a lightweight browser. Until that day comes I don't see being able to ditch having a client.

I'm giving Slypheed and Pine a shot based on reviews in this thread, I have nothing against Evo, though. Since(repeating what I was told) Evo doesn't use that much ram that isn't being used anyways, I really don't feel a need to downgrade to a less full featured client.

pgroover
February 21st, 2006, 08:25 AM
I also use TBird in windows and it transitioned excellently to Linux, of course. With all the extensions and (EXCELLENT) junk mail filter, I don't think I can ever use anything any different. I will admit that I am curious about setting up a local MTA and trying that out, but that is an exercise that is still undone... :)

akiro.yamamoto
February 21st, 2006, 09:11 AM
Thunderbird all the way.

dcstar
February 21st, 2006, 09:36 AM
I used Evolution until I got fed up with Evolutions junk mail/spam filtering not working. I then switched to Thunderbird and have been happy with it.
Evolution's junk mail and spam filtering works fine - if you get Spamassassin set up correctly:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=99603

snowjunkie
February 21st, 2006, 09:59 AM
I use Kmail which is very good and easy customized. I used thunderbird in windows. I could swear it was eating mail on me, so I didn't like it very much. Evolution for Gnome is also great.

It's a pity you can't share your mail box between Kmail and Evolution if you happen to have both KDE and GNOME installed... that would be excellent.

(This is where someone tells me you can do this already...)

Marc Higgins
February 24th, 2006, 07:25 PM
You should set up a poll!!!

I use both evolution & thunderbird. to handle upto 80 emails a day, & a + 4g imap mail store.

Thunderbird is very very configurable, lots of great plugins so it can do everything short of washing your socks & jocks, I find I CAN READ & RESPOND TO MAIL FASTEST WITH THUNDERBIRD.

However i find EVOLUTIONS PIM INTEGRATION WITH GNOME A HUGE PLUS (have had lots of lockup & crash issues with evolution as a mail client though think it has issue with one particular email i have archived in my store).

I can find things in evolution faster & if i get an email that says ... do this, with one click that can become a task. The calender, the address book all work really well & intergrate with the gnome desktop so well you don;t need to open evolution to find phone numbers, task list schedule. Evolution is whole bunch more than email

If / when thunderbird can do the PIM functions for me (ie when sunbird is released & works), I am very likely going to stop using evolution.

Now the one to really watch, in my view, is Chandler, http://chandler.osafoundation.org/ at the moment it is still only beta so mail & tasks don’t work & it is a memory pig, but having installed it & had a play with it the other day I think if/when it is finished it will be very high on my list of must have apps

So to answer your question my bet is today, evolution is the most popular followed very closely by thunderbird, but tomorrow my bet is it will be thunderbird with sunbird for PIM functions or chandler.

Anyway if your backend allows, do what i did, use imap & then you can use both, any or all, until you settle on the one that works best for you:-D

riker1968
February 24th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Did you fix the problem or still need help?
If yes, please let me know.
I don't think is a firewall problem.

matey3
February 22nd, 2008, 11:06 AM
Thank You All.
Is TBird capable of handling webmail . I only have an hotmail account and like to use a local program to deal with my email.

thanks!

matey3
February 22nd, 2008, 01:29 PM
been trying to install thunderbird for a long time today but it keeps loooking for these files which do not exist?
libcstd++.so.5 and .6
i copeid over the version so.6 from office/program folder but it wont work still? its goofy i think bcs i downloaded it twice thinking i had broken link or something? but the 10.9 megs downloaded no problems!
is there something i should do? or doing wrong?
heres what i get:
./thunderbird-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

thanks

centyx
April 1st, 2008, 10:25 PM
I consider myself to be a fairly devout Ubuntu user. My preferred MUA is mutt ( http://www.mutt.org ). Try it you like it.

Caldur06
April 1st, 2008, 10:44 PM
I can't think of a compelling reason to switch from gmail.

tango_ninja
April 2nd, 2008, 01:09 AM
Been using gmail for years through web browser and really can't think of any reason to switch. As long as you have port 80 / 443 internet access you're good to go (and it's mobile!).

cardinals_fan
April 2nd, 2008, 03:27 AM
I use Gmail. No need for a mail client.

ciyo65
November 6th, 2008, 05:40 PM
I would be good to have something like live mail that separates email accounts.

lukeyduke
December 23rd, 2008, 04:29 AM
Hello,
I have recently upgraded to a fantastic webmail client, Atmail. They are a commercial email server appliance and webmail provider, however they have recently released a free version of their software, called atmail open. The biggest advantage is that I can now access my emails from anywhere in the world from the same fantastic interface every time. I find it is a much faster, simpler, better looking interface than any other, such as hotmail and gmail.

You can find an tutorial for installing it on there website here --> http://atmail.com/kb/2008/installing-atmail-open-webmail-client-on-ubuntu/

MikeTheC
December 23rd, 2008, 07:00 AM
I don't. (I just use my Email provider's web interface.)

doorknob60
December 23rd, 2008, 07:03 AM
Firefox+Gmail. I like Thunderbird, KMail, etc., but Gmail.com is more convinient for me since I almost always have Firefox open anyways :-P

Barrucadu
December 23rd, 2008, 06:42 PM
Gmail for creating all my email accounts, and Evolution for managing them all. I half finished making an IMAP/POP3 client in PHP to manage all my emails, but never got around to finishing it.

sportscrazed2
December 23rd, 2008, 08:09 PM
love gmail along with gmail notify i know the second i get a new email

tazz4vr
December 31st, 2008, 07:02 PM
Going to give Thunderbird a try, as I don't seem to be having any luck with the Outlook Express and my clients webmail, it appears that their webmail client is compatible with Thunderbird.

With Outlook, was able to get the emails to finally show up, but never able to send from and also the security issue of not being able to separate the account from another user, everything showed in general mailbox....ughhhhhhhhhh.

Perhaps when my office is completely set up, then will reconsider the Outlook usage, however for now, just fed up with trying to work with it.

WildeBeest
December 31st, 2008, 07:33 PM
I used to use Evolution, had nothing but problems.

See the details in this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=951870

It has yet to be resolved.

So now I use Thunderbird.

davec64
December 31st, 2008, 07:36 PM
After spending a lot of time with Evolution and it not always playing ball I've settled on Thunderbird.

Nice and simple! :D

MickS
December 31st, 2008, 07:46 PM
Been using Thunderbird for ages since windows, just got used to it and I like the fact that I can install the same theme as I have on Firefox, walnut at the moment.

Mick