PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba Satellite A35S159 repair question

djvasco
July 3rd, 2008, 02:39 AM
Can the DC power jack on a Toshiba Satellite A35S159 be replaced without replacing the motherboard?

I've looked at some specs and I believe that it can be replaced. I called the local SuperGeeks service and the guy on the phone insisted that the motherboard needed to be replaced and quoted me $400-500. When I asked about just replacing the DC power jack, he was adament about replacing the motherboard.

I've had fan/overheating problems with the laptop and took care of it myself. The thermal grease on the heat sink had dried out and needed to be reapplied. Taking out the heatsink required me to open the CPU; but it was a relatively straightforward process. Another computer repair service quoted about $200 for that repair.

Because it is electrical, I'm a little more leery about replacing the DC power jack myself. Any thoughts?:confused:

arp1966
August 1st, 2008, 11:26 PM
the jack is replaceable. I just ordered one from http://www.laptopking.com/kingpartdetails.asp?ref=503&category=dcjack I dont know how hard it is going to be to take it apart to replace it. Was hopeing to find some info on that here.

CptanPanic
December 12th, 2008, 05:46 PM
I repaired this on the same laptop. You have to take the entire motherboard out of laptop which is a pain, and it eventually broke again. Unfortunetly it is a bad design, and I am removing the jack completly and hard wiring the power wire to it.

On a side note, I am just installed xubuntu on this laptop, and tricks that I should know about? Something is not right currently it takes 15 min to boot.
Thanks,