PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hardy Heron Freezes at Beginning of Install

NickAv
July 3rd, 2008, 12:29 AM
Alright so i'm a TOTAL linux n00b but i like to think i am pretty computer savvy (ex Windows Power User) i am trying to dual boot 8.04 and XP but when i boot up from the CD and select install Ubuntu it brings me to the desktop and i get a blank window that says install on the top with a black pixelated corner. Now i left it at this screen for about an hour and a half waiting to see if it would respond. I eventually gave up and booted back into XP.

i would rly like to get this problem resolved so i can begin using a linux OS so any help would be greatly appreciated

- Nick

Pumalite
July 3rd, 2008, 12:34 AM
You might need to burn a new CD. Or your specs are such that you require a different iso. Post your specs.

NickAv
July 3rd, 2008, 12:39 AM
Specs:

AMD 64 X2 4800+
Asus A8N-SLI
BFG Geforce 7800 GT OC
3Gb Mushkin Redline Ram
3 HDD's (storage isn't the problem)

I decided to hold off on the 64 bit distro just because of compatability issues that still exist when using 64 bit in a largely 32 bit world

Pumalite
July 3rd, 2008, 12:56 AM
64 bit would handle your 3 GB of RAM better. You might be having problems with the 32 bit or you need to do md5sum on the iso and burn at 4x or less.

NickAv
July 3rd, 2008, 12:58 AM
wouldn't that just create more problems in the long run running 32 bit apps and stuff?

and i did that analyze disc thing b4 trying to install if that helps at all, prolly not

Pumalite
July 3rd, 2008, 02:43 AM
I can tell you that personally I'm running 2 Hardies 64 bit in different configurations with 4 GB of RAM. I have found no problems running 32 and/or 64 bit programs. They are quite stable and I'm very happy with them.

NickAv
July 3rd, 2008, 03:15 AM
alright i'll burn a 64bit version and get back to ya

i hear things on here about wireless not working well under 64 bit any thoughts?