PDA

View Full Version : Is GnomeDo going be installed by default in Itrepid?

days_of_ruin
July 2nd, 2008, 10:29 PM
It looks pretty sweet.

the yawner
July 3rd, 2008, 02:12 AM
It might? But then, the deskbar thingie can already be used to launch things. The same principle why AWN is never installed by default.

myusername
July 3rd, 2008, 02:25 AM
gnomedo is just useless eyecandy

acelin
July 3rd, 2008, 02:58 AM
In no way will be the default in Intrepid. However, it could possibly be added to the add/remove repos if it already is not.

the yawner
July 3rd, 2008, 03:21 AM
Of course not. I rather like the idea of my hand resting on the keyboards while launching apps, opening folders, copying/moving stuff and more all at triggered by a 2-key combination. I find it useful.

In no way will be the default in Intrepid. However, it could possibly be added to the add/remove repos if it already is not.
An older version is already available in hardy repo. :)

MetalMusicAddict
July 3rd, 2008, 03:26 AM

You obviously have no clue what it really does.

That being said, I've seen no real push from the developers around Ubuntu on this. If it were installed, it really is quite tiny. If you didn't know about it you wouldn't know its there.

IMO, it would be a nice little feature.

acelin
July 3rd, 2008, 03:59 AM
Of course not. I rather like the idea of my hand resting on the keyboards while launching apps, opening folders, copying/moving stuff and more all at triggered by a 2-key combination. I find it useful.

An older version is already available in hardy repo. :)

I am sure it will be updated then!

macogw
July 3rd, 2008, 04:45 AM
Even better, don't bother with having to hit that 2-key combo and THEN type what you want. Just map a 2-key combo to open each of the apps you use. That's what I do. And, as has been mentioned, Deskbar already does this, so that's redundant. It IS just useless eye-candy. It doesn't add any functionality that's not already there.

the yawner
July 3rd, 2008, 05:25 AM
Even better, don't bother with having to hit that 2-key combo and THEN type what you want. Just map a 2-key combo to open each of the apps you use. That's what I do.
Then I would have to memorize every 2-key combo for every app? And avoid accidentally hitting the said 2-key combo when I don't want it. Or perhaps, just limit the mapping to my more often used applications. I'm not hardcore. Heh.

And, as has been mentioned, Deskbar already does this, so that's redundant. It IS just useless eye-candy. It doesn't add any functionality that's not already there.
Just to clarify, I'm not saying it should be added on the default install. And it is obvious that there are already existing methods to launching and interacting with apps, managing files, and searching for stuff. But personally, I find Do's approach a simple and elegant. :popcorn:

macogw
July 3rd, 2008, 07:30 AM
Then I would have to memorize every 2-key combo for every app? And avoid accidentally hitting the said 2-key combo when I don't want it. Or perhaps, just limit the mapping to my more often used applications. I'm not hardcore. Heh.
My Compiz has Super+<letter> mapped to different apps. F for Firefox, E for Evolution (though my new laptop has an email button, so...), P for Pidgin, G for Gimp, O for OpenOffice.org...

barbedsaber
July 3rd, 2008, 09:14 AM

shame on you sir

CbrPad
July 3rd, 2008, 11:02 AM
My Compiz has Super+<letter> mapped to different apps. F for Firefox, E for Evolution (though my new laptop has an email button, so...), P for Pidgin, G for Gimp, O for OpenOffice.org...

Good idea, I never thought of that. However, I also use GnomeDo for quickly opening some of the hundreds of documents I have or performing actions on them, the plugins are handy, etc etc. The sheer speed and range of actions it lets me do is invaluable (for me anyway!).

brunovecchi
July 3rd, 2008, 11:39 AM
My advice to those who compare Gnome Do with an application launcher is to try and use it for a week with full functionality (because it's more than obvious that they haven't). It has over 40 plugins that extend its capabilities far beyond launching things and opening files.

macogw
July 4th, 2008, 05:46 PM
My advice to those who compare Gnome Do with an application launcher is to try and use it for a week with full functionality (because it's more than obvious that they haven't). It has over 40 plugins that extend its capabilities far beyond launching things and opening files.

So umm....it's a terminal with no stdout? Er, great...

Mazza558
July 4th, 2008, 06:22 PM
shame on you sir

This.

/signed for Gnome-do. I couldn't live without it, especially to open settings windows.

Mazza558
July 4th, 2008, 06:27 PM

Do you have a keyboard shortcut to open a file with a particular program?

One to email people by typing the first few letters of their name?

macogw
July 4th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Do you have a keyboard shortcut to open a file with a particular program?

One to email people by typing the first few letters of their name?
As I said, Super+T opens a terminal. What else do I need? For that matter, what files do you even expect me to be opening? I type everything in vim, and I rather doubt GnomeDo can be taught to open a terminal and open vim inside that terminal and open that file inside that vim session. Also, does GnomeDo have tab-autocompletion? Does it let you ls? I usually cd somewhere, ls, cd again, ls again, cd again, then vim <file>

GnomeDo can open a Firefox with GMail or with my school's Java applet in it, log in, click the "Compose" button, and enter their email address, just by me typing the first couple letters of their name? Wow! I didn't think that was even possible. In fact, I'm pretty sure it isn't.

On OSX, where they neither have a menu from which you can select the app you want nor a way to map keyboard combinations to apps, QuickSilver makes sense to have. In GNOME, where the developers have enough brains to supply an Applications menu, and with Compiz, it's unnecessary.

YaroMan86
July 4th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Frankly, every time I used GNOMEDo, I lost interest in it, pretty quickly. I didn't find it very handy.

andrek
July 4th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I used to love gnome-do, but.. damn, it recently became a resource hog..

brunovecchi
July 5th, 2008, 05:03 PM
So umm....it's a terminal with no stdout? Er, great...
No, it's not a terminal, nor tries to be one. It does have the philosophy of trying to avoid the mouse though.

Also, does GnomeDo have tab-autocompletion?
No, it has a different approach. It suggests, and in my experience, is always right.

I type everything in vim, and I rather doubt GnomeDo can be taught to open a terminal and open vim inside that terminal and open that file inside that vim session.
Yes if you use gvim. Just type the filename (or enough part of it so that it will be summoned up) and then (again, totally or part of) Open With ... Vim. Your file will be opened with gvim. Notice that the file could be deep in an obscure, difficult to reach directory, and cd+ls could take you a lot more than the previous approach.

Does it let you ls?
Yes it does. You type the name of the folder, and pressing the right arrow key shows all the files and folders underneath it.

GnomeDo can open a Firefox with GMail or with my school's Java applet in it, log in, click the "Compose" button, and enter their email address, just by me typing the first couple letters of their name? Wow! I didn't think that was even possible. In fact, I'm pretty sure it isn't.
No, but if you configure a GMail POP or IMAC account in thunderbird or Evolution, you can do it. If you prefer using the web interfase, o cannot help with the pressing of the buttons. It can help, however, by indexing your Firefox Bookmarks, so by typing the name of the web page you instantly open it in firefox. Furthermore, if you are trying to search a term in a certain engine (google, Imdb, wikipedia, youtube, cpan, etc), you can simply type the search term, then type "search with" --> <whatever>. This will run firefox, open the search engine and look for the desired term with it. I doubt that the Program menu or any shortcut will do this.

On OSX, where they neither have a menu from which you can select the app you want nor a way to map keyboard combinations to apps, QuickSilver makes sense to have. In GNOME, where the developers have enough brains to supply an Applications menu, and with Compiz, it's unnecessary.

Again, you are only looking at the launching capabilities. Gnome-Do and Quicksilver have the power of summoning items whose names you know and performing common actions to those items without intruding with your workflow. Menus and keybindings don't do that. Besides, there are two main downsides with keybindings: 1) you have to create them one by one 2) you have to remember them. With Gnome-Do you just naturally type some or part of the program name, and also perform actions in a semantically intuitive manner.

Canis familiaris
July 5th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I hope it comes with preinstalled in Hardy. It is very similar, rather better than Katapault in Kubuntu.
Anyone who doesn't like it could disable it easily too.

As I said, Super+T opens a terminal. What else do I need? For that matter, what files do you even expect me to be opening? I type everything in vim, and I rather doubt GnomeDo can be taught to open a terminal and open vim inside that terminal and open that file inside that vim session. Also, does GnomeDo have tab-autocompletion? Does it let you ls? I usually cd somewhere, ls, cd again, ls again, cd again, then vim <file>
Yes you can! As the previous poster said. It is easier than ls cd ls cd ls cd ls cd ....

If this your benchmark, then nothing will satisfy you, not even the terminal.

Its great for keyboard junkies. If there is no such thing as GnomeDo or the Deskbar, then it'll take far too long.
Press Alt+F1, move cursor keys, and press enter. too many keys are pressed.

And don't tell me next to set keyboard shortuts for 50 odd tasks I do. There are only 26 alphabets, and too much to remember.

Have you ever used GnomeDo? I suggest you Open your mind.
And also dont start next that you cant create symbolic links using GnomeDo, cant set up a web server, cant post a forum post using GnomeDo.

The terminal rocks but it is not the answer to everything.

Luffield
July 5th, 2008, 08:26 PM
I don't believe Gnome-Do will be installed by default in Intrepid. The latest version of Linux Mint has it installed by default and I was surprised to hear about it. I thought that most people don't care for this type of application, and this thread seems to confirm this...
Personally I love Gnome-Do.

macogw
July 5th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Yes you can! As the previous poster said. It is easier than ls cd ls cd ls cd ls cd ....
Who said I wanted something "easier" (in your mind) than ls, cd, ls, cd? I want to see all of my options there, so I ls each time. I can cd /very/big/log/path/to/somewhere if I want, but often I want to see what all is there...and often, I won't do the ls, just hit tab some more, and it'll show them all anyway.

Have you ever used GnomeDo? I suggest you Open your mind.

Yes, I've used it, but I was not impressed at all. It's not fast. If I'm going to have to type all of the word "pidgin" to get it to know that's what I want, how can that *possibly* be considered *faster* than hitting 1 keyboard combo? In the time it takes to open GnomeDo, I've got pidgin open. You're suggesting I do that and then type in the whole command? Why??? If it had QuickSilver's UI where you've got the 3 levels of drop down sections, maybe it'd be a bit better, because you could give it very complicated commands, but that ridiculous side-by-side thing? Oh, and it's so unstable, does nothing but crash as soon as you've got a few letters in. Ugh.

The terminal rocks but it is not the answer to everything.
Yes it is.

Canis familiaris
July 7th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Yes, I've used it, but I was not impressed at all. It's not fast. If I'm going to have to type all of the word "pidgin" to get it to know that's what I want, how can that *possibly* be considered *faster* than hitting 1 keyboard combo? In the time it takes to open GnomeDo, I've got pidgin open. You're suggesting I do that and then type in the whole command? Why??? If it had QuickSilver's UI where you've got the 3 levels of drop down sections, maybe it'd be a bit better, because you could give it very complicated commands, but that ridiculous side-by-side thing? Oh, and it's so unstable, does nothing but crash as soon as you've got a few letters in. Ugh.

I dunno what are you talking about. It is very stable in my machine. And I could launch pidgin by pressing Super+Space and typing pid. So saves some typing. And I could press p, press down cursor key and get a drop down for disambiguation.
I could launch OpenOffice.org Writer by Super+Space oo w
So it basically works IMO,
I havent used Quicksilver, so I cant compare but it is similar to Katapault which is there in Kubuntu by default and is in fact better than Katapault.
So IMO if Katapault is there in Kubuntu in default then GnomeDo should be in Ubuntu by default.

Yes it is.

Cetainly not EACH AND EVERY THING.

ghindo
July 7th, 2008, 09:06 AM
I dig Gnome-Do. I guess I can see why people would see it as superfluous, but I still really like Gnome-Do and use it constantly. I still use the Terminal to do some things, but Gnome-Do is a lot more straight-forward, easy to use, and just plain attractive.

However, I don't think it should be installed by default. It's a great tool, but not for everyone.

shifty2
July 7th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Cetainly not EACH AND EVERY THING.

Yup each and every thing :)

Personally, I don't understand why gnomedo is so popular. There are a lot of better applications out there - dmenu for example if you configure it properly. Or get a WM like stumpwm that allows for the creation of custom commands - much more powerful than gnome-do just launching programs. I can do C-z-; fi <tab> to run or raise firefox or C-z-; g <enter search term> to run or raise firefox with a google window up. Take some time to customise and there are a lot better applications out there.

mech7
July 7th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I love gnome do :) it's great should be there by default definitly

Perpetual
July 7th, 2008, 01:27 PM
I thought GnomeDo was installed by default in 8.04...as it is with a number of recent distributions. It's not enabled but it is installed (Fedora, openSUSE, Foresight).

I would swear it was installed in Hardy.

Canis familiaris
July 7th, 2008, 06:52 PM
I thought GnomeDo was installed by default in 8.04...as it is with a number of recent distributions. It's not enabled but it is installed (Fedora, openSUSE, Foresight).

No it isn't

brunovecchi
July 8th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Although I am a Gnome-Do fan, I don't think it should be installed by default; it's not low enough on resources and it would raise the average ram consumption on users unaware of its presence. I do agree that it should keep being available through the repositories.

Mazza558
July 8th, 2008, 11:14 PM

It's in the repos in hardy, but it's not installed by default.

days_of_ruin
July 8th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Yup each and every thing :)

Personally, I don't understand why gnomedo is so popular. There are a lot of better applications out there - dmenu for example if you configure it properly. Or get a WM like stumpwm that allows for the creation of custom commands - much more powerful than gnome-do just launching programs. I can do C-z-; fi <tab> to run or raise firefox or C-z-; g <enter search term> to run or raise firefox with a google window up. Take some time to customise and there are a lot better applications out there.

Have fun making a wallpaper or browsing the internet in the terminal.

davidsiegel
November 1st, 2008, 04:54 AM
Hey, I wrote Do and even I don't think it should be installed by default (for the time being). And anyone who compares Do to a terminal is missing the point entirely.

MasterNetra
November 1st, 2008, 05:06 AM
hmm i don't see any program called "GnomeDo" in Interpid's Repo. As for mapping keyboard shorts for programs you have to do what you did in hardy to do it.
I personally created Program shortcuts using gconf editor, Apps->compiz->general->allscreens->options and you pretty much do like you would metacity except the commands and key lines are all there in one place :)

brunovecchi
November 1st, 2008, 05:35 AM
hmm i don't see any program called "GnomeDo" in Interpid's Repo. As for mapping keyboard shorts for programs you have to do what you did in hardy to do it.
I personally created Program shortcuts using gconf editor, Apps->compiz->general->allscreens->options and you pretty much do like you would metacity except the commands and key lines are all there in one place :)

Try searching for "gnome do" within synaptic