PDA

View Full Version : UbuCon Atlanta 2008 Logo Competition

JReagan1990
July 2nd, 2008, 10:27 PM
Hello everyone!

The UbuCon Atlanta 2008 Logo Competition is now open!

First, a little on UbuCon:

UbuCon Atlanta 2008 will be an Ubuntu Conference, with presentations, demos, installations, and support. This event will be hosted by both the Ubuntu Georgia and Florida LoCo Teams. The event is scheduled for November 14, 15, and 16, but at this point all dates are subject to change.

More details are soon to come, but we are kicking off the event with a logo competition. So, with any competition, there are guidelines:

1. Keep the logo Ubuntu-centric.

2. The Ubuntu logo cannot be modified (by Canonical's order).

3. They must be submitted within the competition dates.

4. It must be uploaded as an image that can be shown in the forums.

5. The logo must include the name of the event... so people will know what they are attending. Other info (like release info) is completely up to you!

=== and most importantly ===

All entries must be made in open source applications available in Ubuntu (e.g. GIMP, Inkscape, etc.).

The competition will be open for TWO WEEKS, meaning the END date will be JULY 16, 2008. To upload your entry, please create a new post as a reply to this thread. Keep all entries within this thread. At the end of the competition, the entries will be compiled, and a poll will be created that will be open for a week. Anyone can participate, so feel free to contribute!

Thanks! :)

JReagan1990
July 2nd, 2008, 10:33 PM
Just to get things rolling, I have an entry below (click on the image for a larger size).

Click on "Manage Attatchments" when creating a reply post, and you can upload an image. It will automatically be attached like in this post.

reya276
July 10th, 2008, 02:38 AM
Ok here is a first draft, although I think is bit much but maybe this will get some other folks going.

dantrevino
July 10th, 2008, 05:31 AM
can i submit a windows metafile formatted image? i promise it wont have a trojan. sorta.

TVMA
July 10th, 2008, 03:31 PM
I will be posting mine next week.. It's gonan be soo rad.

JReagan1990
July 11th, 2008, 02:31 AM
Thanks guys!

@ Dan: Windows Metafile? What the heck... go with it! :P

Keep 'em coming!

reya276
July 12th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Ok here is another one

JReagan1990
July 29th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Thanks everyone for the contributions! A new poll will be opened soon!

kevinfishburne
August 3rd, 2008, 11:50 PM
I'm a little late to the game here, I know. I saw the logo someone made and had posted here (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GeorgiaUSTeam/Marketing/UbuConAtlanta) and thought I'd juice it up a bit:

http://sales.eightvirtues.com/misc/UbuCon2.png

The glossy-looking Ubuntu Logo I found out on the web somewhere. Hopefully its 3D look and chopped-off bottom aren't considered "modifications" by Canonical, but who knows. I'm not quite sure if I like the partial Georgia Seal on it, either. Let me know what you think. Everything's in separate layers so it wouldn't be hard to modify. One thing I was considering was to pull down the skyline graphic so it terminates at the bottom of "UBUCON ATLANTA" rather than above the horizontal bar.

JReagan1990
August 4th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I did the original logo, and I sent it in to Canonical just to check. They said that it was indeed a modification of the original logo, so I had to make another one. They said that most of the Ubuntu logo needs to be shown, and preferably with Ubuntu written on it somewhere.

On the bright side, your logo does look good!

kevinfishburne
August 11th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Oh well... Good job on the original. Canonical's pretty hard core about their branding and trademarks. I've heard stories about them going ballistic over use of the "buntu" in domain names and such too.