PDA

View Full Version : I need some inspiration

babacan
July 2nd, 2008, 08:57 PM
It's the university vocation time yet I am pretty much stucked at the home for 3 months without much to do, at this time I want to improve my programming skills and start some kind of personal "open source" project where I can mess and learn advanced Java (I have studied/used Java my university work but never done a "big" project and next year will be my 3rd year) but I have no inspiration, simply I do not know what kind of project I can work on to learn and that can be useful in real life for the public yet something I can show at my resume in the future.

So what kind of project I could work on ? My initial idea was a .flv downloader from various video sites but I think I can find some more useful ideas.

Cheers!

pmasiar
July 2nd, 2008, 09:04 PM
Join some existing project instead of starting new failing one. We have too many dead projects already, don't add one more.

Learn some web application skills, useful in the market.

Or learn completely different language, to stretch your mind. Try C, Python or Lisp.

era86
July 2nd, 2008, 09:08 PM
Want to stay busy? Build a website! I'm on vacation as well and I am learning to deploy a website using Apache and Ruby. Remember, learning doesn't have to stop when school is out.

WW
July 2nd, 2008, 09:20 PM
Volunteer at your local office of Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/), or Amnesty International (http://www.amnesty.org/), or some other worthy organization. They might need help with web pages, database management, etc. Your work there might give you inspiration for truly valuable open source projects.

dwhitney67
July 3rd, 2008, 12:12 AM
Home for the summer? You lazy !@#$%^... go back to school! You are an adult, not a school child. No more summer holidays... well, at least not until you die.

LaRoza
July 3rd, 2008, 12:20 AM
Home for the summer? You lazy !@#$%^... go back to school! You are an adult, not a school child. No more summer holidays... well, at least not until you die.

Well, some people need to work full time to get money at least for a few months...

dwhitney67
July 3rd, 2008, 12:29 AM
Fine, then work. I borrowed money to go to school, and also did internships. Not once did I take a semester off. Maybe I was fortunate? A typical graduate from the school I attended graduated in 4 years... even with 3 semesters of internships. How is that possible? Well I took a lot classes during the regular semesters (15-17 credit hours) and took a medium load during the summers (9-11 credit hours).

During a semester, a full-time student pays for 12 credit hours. Everything beyond that is "free" (but of course, not the books).

era86
July 3rd, 2008, 12:34 AM
Fine, then work. I borrowed money to go to school, and also did internships. Not once did I take a semester off. Maybe I was fortunate? A typical graduate from the school I attended graduated in 4 years... even with 3 semesters of internships. How is that possible? Well I took a lot classes during the regular semesters (15-17 credit hours) and took a medium load during the summers (9-11 credit hours).

During a semester, a full-time student pays for 12 credit hours. Everything beyond that is "free" (but of course, not the books).

I don't think there's anything wrong with taking a break from school. There has to be some sort of balance! Although you aren't in grade school anymore, you still are very young. I like to enjoy my youth!:guitar:

tinny
July 3rd, 2008, 12:35 AM
Your interested in Java and Linux right?

Maybe do some work around interfacing with the two? JNI, or maybe wrap Runtime.exec in a more usable API for Linux http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/lang/Runtime.html#exec(java.lang.String)

I for one would definitely find this very useful.

Just an idea...

babacan
July 3rd, 2008, 12:58 AM
Thanks for all the feedback lads :)

:) I think you got me wrong, it is the summer break for my university, which means school is over for the next 3 months. And due to a personal reason(I had a plan which had canceled at the last second) I was too late to apply for an internship and most companies dont accept any more internship students. Currently all I can do is self studying.

Join some existing project instead of starting new failing one. We have too many dead projects already, don't add one more.

Learn some web application skills, useful in the market.

Or learn completely different language, to stretch your mind. Try C, Python or Lisp.

I live in Turkey, Java and C# are the languages that software companies use and thats what I need to be good at for the sake of getting a decent job(or internship as the initial step).

I know lisp/scheme abit from my first year and I like it but the current usage area of Lisp is just academical(atleast in my country). I really feel like "securing my ****" by having a good knowledge at Java under my belt first, after that I may focus other languages.

Beside that I must confess I have no bloody idea how to jump to an existing open source project and help them, I dont know how community ridden open source development works, but I really would love to learn and participate. I am a big fan of open source.

babacan
July 3rd, 2008, 01:14 AM
Your interested in Java and Linux right?

Maybe do some work around interfacing with the two? JNI, or maybe wrap Runtime.exec in a more usable API for Linux http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/lang/Runtime.html#exec(java.lang.String)

I for one would definitely find this very useful.

Just an idea...

Thanks for the idea, I will be definitely checking it!

pmasiar
July 3rd, 2008, 03:47 AM
Java and C# are the languages that software companies use ...I really feel like "securing my ****" by having a good knowledge at Java under my belt first, after that I may focus other languages.

Learning other languages will help you to understand Java better. Scripting languages are especially good in generating test data and comparing tests. That would be your bonus skill when entering job market.

how to jump to an existing open source project and help them,

Just find a project you want to learn, and ask. Every project is interested to get "new blood" developers to grow. If you are self-learner and do not require much help (ie read docs if given link and ask smart questions - see link in my sig), they will happily help you.

To get job-related skills, you can arrange internship of your own: find local nonprofit/church/eco group/whatever which needs website, learn the tools, and build it. Later at first interview, you can say "my internship that summer did not worked out, but I still managed to build a system for this nonprofit and learned this web framework doing it".

Spaceman9
July 3rd, 2008, 03:58 AM
If I could make a suggestion. One thing I've noticed linux is really lacking in is good foreign language software. I mean a program that can teach people to speak a foreign language. I want to work on one as soon as I find a good language to write it in.