PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can I clone when replacing laptop hard drive?

mikeescott
July 2nd, 2008, 07:09 PM
I am replacing the 30gb ide hard drive in my laptop with a 250gb ide drive. Is there any way to clone the dual boot drive without loosing anything or having to reinstall everything? I am running 8.04 and XP SP3 on a Compaq Presario 1700T.

prshah
July 2nd, 2008, 08:37 PM
I am replacing the 30gb ide hard drive in my laptop with a 250gb ide drive. Is there any way to clone the dual boot drive without loosing anything or having to reinstall everything? I am running 8.04 and XP SP3 on a Compaq Presario 1700T.

You can use partimage to clone and restore your partitions, then use gparted to resize the partitions to use up the leftover space. You don't need to save/restore your swap partition, unless it's in an extended partition.

Note: mucking around with partitions, partimage and/or gparted is risky be sure to have a backup.

mikeescott
July 3rd, 2008, 12:01 AM
I want to make an exact copy of what is on the drive now, then create a new partition with the remaining 220GBs for media files. Will partimage copy the installation and settings of Ubuntu and XP without affection their performance (zero loss of data and files)?

prshah
July 3rd, 2008, 05:36 AM
I want to make an exact copy of what is on the drive now, then create a new partition with the remaining 220GBs for media files. Will partimage copy the installation and settings of Ubuntu and XP without affection their performance (zero loss of data and files)?

partimage will clone the entire _partition_ including the files and data. It will not affect performance and will not affect data/files in anyway.