PDA

View Full Version : A Virtual Notebook

groeswenphil
July 2nd, 2008, 07:00 PM
Hi group,

Does anybody know whether such a thing exists?

I'd like a virtual notebook.
It would work thusly.
You load the software and the screen fills with an image of a book....old fashioned and leather bound ideally.
Click on the cover and it scrolls open.
Now, you can write on it or paste pictures.....simple as that.....possible have formatting tools and the ability to post it onto the web as a blog.

Is there such a thing?

Phil from Wales

madjr
July 2nd, 2008, 09:29 PM
Hi group,

Does anybody know whether such a thing exists?

I'd like a virtual notebook.
It would work thusly.
You load the software and the screen fills with an image of a book....old fashioned and leather bound ideally.
Click on the cover and it scrolls open.
Now, you can write on it or paste pictures.....simple as that.....possible have formatting tools and the ability to post it onto the web as a blog.

Is there such a thing?

Phil from Wales

yes, i think i saw one in "back to the future"

very cool indeed :lolflag:

the closest u can get is a kindle i think

joninkrakow
July 2nd, 2008, 09:48 PM
Yeah, the Apple Newton Messagepad. It was a wonderful toy. Besides its rather controversial handwriting recognition (which always worked excellently for me), it could also do free-hand drawing, assisted drawing of shapes (draw a cruddy circle, and a perfect one popped out on the screen), but it also did so much more. Unfortunately, this was back in the days before blogs, but I seem to remember reading that there was some software for sending text to blogger... It was so far ahead of its time that there has yet to be anything that comes close to what it did--and people thought it was overpriced! ;-) No, I don't recommend anybody buying one nowadays--technology has moved on--unless you are willing to be very dedicated to it, and devoting hours upon hours to getting it to work (and some money as well)

-Jon

groeswenphil
July 2nd, 2008, 10:45 PM
No, I didn't quite visualise it like that.
I imagined an on-screen notebook.......that would work from a desktop or laptop and more or less fill your monitor screen.
Phil

joninkrakow
July 3rd, 2008, 02:23 PM
No, I didn't quite visualise it like that.
I imagined an on-screen notebook.......that would work from a desktop or laptop and more or less fill your monitor screen.
Phil

Aha. You mentioned writing on it, so I imagined a tablet (and I see I wasn't alone--someone else suggested a Kindle) ;-)

That may be a bit difficult to get everything you want. There is, however, Gournal, but it's designed for tablets. Thotkeeper from Google code is more of a daily journal, and doesn't seem to do images. I don't know if journler is open source or compilable on Linux, but it combines it all--but not like you want.

As I said in my first post, the Newton was so far ahead, that nobody else has even attempted what it could do. I'll never understand that! It's right there to be copied, and nobody's tried it yet. :-( There's always Open Einstein, the Newton hardware emulator. I think it can compile under Linux. You would just need a ROM file. ;-) ;-) <nudge, nudge>

-Jon

wersdaluv
July 3rd, 2008, 03:10 PM
Basket Notepads would be the closest. If you use Windows, there's OneNote. I love 'em.

madjr
July 3rd, 2008, 08:14 PM
Basket Notepads would be the closest. If you use Windows, there's OneNote. I love 'em.

http://linuxappfinder.com/alternatives?search_text=one+note

BasKet
KnowIt
NoteCase
TuxCards

also tomboy in gnome does lots

groeswenphil
July 3rd, 2008, 10:35 PM
I think I've found the sort of thing that I'm looking for.....but it appears to cost a fortune.
http://www.ebookcreator.net/index.php

Phil

wersdaluv
July 3rd, 2008, 11:45 PM
I think I've found the sort of thing that I'm looking for.....but it appears to cost a fortune.
http://www.ebookcreator.net/index.php

Phil

If you're willing to sacrifice your want for the "notebook feel", I think, OneNote on a tablet pc would be best. :)

paul101
July 3rd, 2008, 11:51 PM
get a thinkpad x61...