PDA

View Full Version : The future of programming?

Enthralled
July 2nd, 2008, 06:53 PM
Did anyone think about this? What is the future of programming, with all of these new technologies as quantum computing (nanotech) incoming? Will it be too hard? Will it be easier than now? Will programming be needed at all? Will it be interesting, as it is now?

You don't have to answer me all of this questins, but I think this is an interesting topic to talk about, and I'd really like to hear others' opinions and thoughts.

grotto
July 2nd, 2008, 07:26 PM
If/when quantum computing comes to fruition it'll be very niche. Financial, security, encryption/decryption. Unlikely it will become mainstream desktop hardware. For now programing for massively multi-core processors with multi-threaded applications is the future. Ars Technica (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080702-intel-an-expensive-many-core-future-is-ahead-of-us.html) had a small piece on it.

Redache
July 2nd, 2008, 08:21 PM
Programming will have to become extensible to be able to use technology as the number of cores used grow.

It's doubtful we'll see Mainstream Quantum Computing as it uses caged atoms and as such will not be small enough for a long time to be viable for home use.

As that article grotto linked to states it's more likely that we'll reach thousands of core on a single die, really at the moment programming is getting harder due to an economic need rather than a technological one as programs that are already in production that haven't taken multi-threading into account from a core standpoint from the beginning will find it difficult to add multiple threads. This can be done to a certain degree by assigning different functions of a program to certain threads, but is not suitable for hundreds of cores worth of threading.

zmjjmz
July 2nd, 2008, 08:27 PM
intel said it's going to involve a crapload of cores.

madjr
July 2nd, 2008, 09:55 PM
programming the bases just gets harder, so big companies (or groups) usually work on that.

but creating basic desktop programs does get easier (specially with the new IDEs with a bunch of auto-stuff).

for complex programs like games, it's harder, people want more and more features, more realism, more physics stuff, etc.

as of now it's really hard to compete.

as things get more and more complex, we'll need AI to program for us. programs that programs itself, machines that fix themselves with nanotech.

Then doomsday will be near... as machines will be auto-sufficient and humans wont be needed or seen as a menace :guitar:

wrtpeeps
July 2nd, 2008, 10:17 PM
Did anyone think about this? What is the future of programming, with all of these new technologies as quantum computing (nanotech) incoming? Will it be too hard? Will it be easier than now? Will programming be needed at all? Will it be interesting, as it is now?

You don't have to answer me all of this questins, but I think this is an interesting topic to talk about, and I'd really like to hear others' opinions and thoughts.

I hope so! Or my career will come to an abrupt end! :):lolflag:

Enthralled
July 5th, 2008, 09:07 PM
I hope so! Or my career will come to an abrupt end! :):lolflag:

That's what I was afraid of. :lolflag: