PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] dual-boot Windows Server 2008 and ubuntu

jman623
July 2nd, 2008, 05:35 PM
Hi all,

I want to install Windows Server 2008 to evaluate for work related purposes. Problem is ubuntu is my only operating system on my computer, and I know if I install windows I may not be able to access my linux installation anymore.

I know with wubi it adds a line to boot.ini and maybe some files on the partition where windows is, but I am not sure if this would work for server 2008? Anyone have any ideas or has ever done something like this before?

I want to try avoid using wubi to do a total re installation btw, to me thats just big hassle, so any help would be appreciated.

avtolle
July 2nd, 2008, 06:49 PM
Without checking, I don't think Wubi will work with Windows 2008 Server. From reading various threads, etc., I am aware that best practice would be to install the Windows first, then install Ubuntu after it. I'm aware of ways to add Windows after Ubuntu is installed, and fix grub, etc., but I don't have a link or any suggestions as I've not done this. Search around, I think you may find something that will assist.

mrphoenix
February 3rd, 2010, 09:02 PM
Hi, could anyone solve the same problem? I had installed to my primary hdd Ubuntu 9.04 and after I installed windows server 2008 r2 on the secondary hdd. After install and reboot I had got a blank screen and nothing booted.

submarenuhon
October 18th, 2010, 07:06 AM
hi all :)

i revive this thread as i'm also about to make a dual boot with my systems. and i need help or assistance since i haven't tried doin' dual boot eversince of whatever OS combination.

please advise what size in disk space need for both Win Server 2008 and ubuntu? my HD has a total disk space of 160G (samsung).

by the way, the specs of my unit is as follows:

Asus P5KPL-AM EPU

elixir x2 1GB DDR2 800

Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5500

hoping someone or anyone can show me the way like a walk-through about this scenario.

cheers!

submarenuhon
October 19th, 2010, 01:15 AM
up

:-k