PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] is there anyway to speed things up a bit

hazman
July 2nd, 2008, 05:11 PM
i have an old toshiba protege i think i got max ram in it 128mb plus built in ram 64mb.just wonder if there was anything i could do to make it run abit better

y6FgBn)~v
July 2nd, 2008, 05:13 PM
What OS are you currently using?

hazman
July 2nd, 2008, 05:15 PM
ubuntu 8.04

tjwoosta
July 2nd, 2008, 05:20 PM
for a machine with low ram like that i would suggest a lighter weight distro

(i have a machine with only 64mb ram total and it happily runs puppy linux or damnsmalllinux)

the only thing with going light weight is that you usually loose the user friendly gui
(its much harder to set things up)

Pjotr123
July 2nd, 2008, 05:22 PM
Switching to Xubuntu would also help somewhat.

hazman
July 2nd, 2008, 05:25 PM
dont get me wrong ubuntu running fine just wanted to sqeeze abit more out

philinux
July 2nd, 2008, 05:47 PM
Then use the xfce desktop instead of gnome. It's much lighter.

hyper_ch
July 2nd, 2008, 07:39 PM
or even fluxbuntu (or add some more ram)

BruisedQuasar07
July 2nd, 2008, 08:03 PM
You can get live cd versions of Linux distros that allow you to try distros to see which suit you the best. If you cannot download them and burn them to a CD, there are non-profit sources which sell distros burned to CD for under $2.50 each. One is linuxcd.org & the other is osdisc.com. Many of the popular live cds are $1.49 to $1.95. The CDs are professional quality.

I strongly recommend you take a look at the newest Puppy, Puppy Linux 4.0... The project objective from the start is to author a CD version of Linux that is an easy transition as possible for beginners. Puppy auto loads itself into a RAM disc that it auto creates. The number of included programs is amazing. The browser is a variant of Firefox called Seamonkey. It is smaller and faster.

Beginning with Puppy 4.0, Puppy project has a online site much like the one Firefox has for Add-ons, themes, extentions.

It is amazing how much Puppy project has managed to automate. It is not harder but easier than Ubuntu for an absolute beginner to setup & operate. Like the Damn Small Linux community, documentation is step by step excellent, unlike the norm among Linux projects and enthusiasts.

There is an active and friendly forum group for help.

An important aim of the project is to make Puppy small and fast as possible, easy as possible and to keep it a CD or Pen drive distro. You will be blown away at how fast Puppy will run on your PC. It is my pick for older PCs.

It must have the record for how fast it can install itself. It also automates saving your settings. Once I get the pen drive files install this O/S boots and is ready to rock and roll in about 10 seconds or less. It takes under 2 minutes the first boot to detect, setup and be ready to use on any PC I have booted it in. And I have used it on 128mb RAM, no hard disc, no USB PCs. The complete distro ISO is 87MB. Since you have an older PC, I would get Puppy 2.4... I'll bet it will easily load into and run from RAM in that PC you have.

Not sure but I think 4.0 will run fine on your PC. It will blow your socks off.

Bruised

snowpine
July 2nd, 2008, 09:16 PM
One tip that hasn't been mentioned yet is to go into the System menu, choose Sessions, and uncheck any services you don't need. On my laptop, I have tracker, bluetooth, and printing disabled, and I think it speeds things up a bit.

I would also suggest experimenting a lightweight windows manager such as Fluxbox. The advantage of that is that you can keep your current Ubuntu installation and just choose a Fluxbox session when you log in. That would be the easiest solution if you are otherwise happy with your current Ubuntu installation.

If you are looking for a completely new distro, the suggestions above are excellent.

markbuntu
July 3rd, 2008, 12:50 AM
Get bum, the Boot Up Manager. You can get rid of a lot of extraenous stuff that loads at boot with bum. Stuff that does not appear in Sessions.