PDA

View Full Version : OSX Icon text

jethro10
July 2nd, 2008, 03:58 PM
I've never seen an Apple PC till last week.

It looks like my Ubuntu setu pwith AWN on the bottom.

But it did have something I rather liked, the icon text could be different colours.
Any way to do this with Ubuntu anyone know?

LMP900
July 2nd, 2008, 04:06 PM
Could you explain a little more? What colors were they?

I just had a quick look at my Mac and the text under the desktop icons are white while the text in Finder are black. Of course, you can add labels to certain files and folders to change the background color of the text:

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/3906/labelscolumnviewzo9.jpg

Is this what you're referring to? Or the actual text is a different color?

jethro10
July 3rd, 2008, 11:09 AM
Sure,

It was desktop icons, some icons were red text, some green etc.

It was in a shopping arcade/mall and was a company selling prints of photos onto a canvas look alike, no idea which company.

But the desktop I saw, osx, (cos I looked when they re-booted it) had multi colour icons, just like us Ubuntuers have but, different colour text on different icons.

BTW, their dock thing on the bottom looked awfully like A.W.N. (Avant Window Manager)
J

joninkrakow
July 3rd, 2008, 11:42 AM
Sure,

It was desktop icons, some icons were red text, some green etc.
[quote]

Yes, those indeed are Finder label colors. Those have been with the Mac OS since sometime in System 7.xomething. I've used them extensively. BTW, you can sort by the colors as well. Useful for ad hoc sorting, etc. And it would be nice to see this in Ubuntu.

[quote]
BTW, their dock thing on the bottom looked awfully like A.W.N. (Avant Window Manager)
J

That would be because AWN is a clone or knockoff of the OSX dock. ;-)
(For the record, I kind of like the Dock, but it could certainly be better implemented. As it is, it is borderline user-interface nightmare--but people like it! Go figure. ;-) )

Quick question. in AWN, when you click on a dock icon, does it bring all the windows for an app (say, Open Office) to the fore? Or just one window, like the task manager?

-Jon

jethro10
July 3rd, 2008, 02:42 PM
Quick question. in AWN, when you click on a dock icon, does it bring all the windows for an app (say, Open Office) to the fore? Or just one window, like the task manager?

-Jon
If I follow you right, just tested. It brings just one to the fore.

If all are minimised and you click one, it brings it up, if you click another it also maximises it as the front task. The original is still maximised but behind the new front task.

joninkrakow
July 3rd, 2008, 02:56 PM
If I follow you right, just tested. It brings just one to the fore.

If all are minimised and you click one, it brings it up, if you click another it also maximises it as the front task. The original is still maximised but behind the new front task.

Aha. So, do I understand you correctly, that each window for an app gets its own slot in AWN? So, you don't get one icon for all windows for each app (say Firefox or OOo)? In the Gnome task bar, I think it's called grouping windows? I hadn't noticed that.... If so, that's definately different than the OSX Dock, where an app gets one icon, regardless of how many windows open. (You can click and hold, or right click to get a popup, showing all open windows, as well as other options including quit).

Still, I wish I could use AWN, but it doesn't work on PPC, and I believe it needs compiz or some other decent composite manager to work, which my Dell cannot do. :-(

Thanks.

-Jon

Mr. Picklesworth
July 3rd, 2008, 03:06 PM
Jethro: We do have Emblems in Nautilus, which will hopefully see some enhancements and cleanups in the near future. Not as pretty to look at, but quite handy.

It would be cool if we could set a folder colour that affects its icon and also have that influence the colour of the window once that folder is open. It would be a very striking effect in spatial mode :)