PDA

View Full Version : My laptop is falling apart, what to do???

MONODA
July 2nd, 2008, 11:32 AM
ok well not reall "falling apart" but every once in a while something goes wrong with it hardware wise and my warranty just expired. The first thing is that I have never had a good experience with any OS on this laptop, including vista which came with it, which makes me think something is wrong. It is an hp pavillion dv6395ea. Here is my story with my problems, maybe you can help me.

When I first purchased this laptop, it cam with vista preinstalled. The first time I turned it on, it started check for invalid clusters on my hdd but eventually booted up properly. I would get this everytime I wanted to boot up and it would never shutdown. I decided to install XP, so I did. XP worked relatively well but sometimes the screen would go black and i woul have to reset VGA to get it to work. Eventually I thought of contacting support which told me to follow a few steps whic included instsalling a new graphics card driver and flashing my BIOS. Once I had done this, XP started blue screening. Here I found ubuntu, to make a long story short (relatively) I ended up on arch linux. during this time I noticed a few other problems: the hdd was spinning WAY to fast, the GPU is conmstantly at ~60 C (isnt that too hot?), infrared doesnt work anymore, the media center buttons have stoped working, cds have trouble reading and writing, I can no longer read/write dvds.

So what do you guys suggest I do? do you think there is anyway that I could get a replacement for this from HP? Any ideas?
EDIT: I have a similar HP laptop (dv2000) which i use at work which is also experiencing similar problems.

starcannon
July 2nd, 2008, 11:36 AM
If the warranty is expired, then its highly unlikely. Soon as you had errors you should have complained and requested a new one sent out to you. Sorry you got a dud man :(

I would attempt to get a replacement if I were you, but I wouldn't hold my breath, your gonna have to get lucky is what I'm thinking.

I have a dv2000 actually the dv2600 se, its been flawless.

MONODA
July 2nd, 2008, 11:43 AM
I guess I will try to get a replacement. Perhaps the store I purchased the dv2000 and the dv6000 had a some problem like maybe they didnt take care of the pcs properly... What's sad is that I can never and have never kept any electronic device working well for more than a year even though I take some much care of everything I own.

rickyjones
July 2nd, 2008, 01:05 PM
ok well not reall "falling apart" but every once in a while something goes wrong with it hardware wise and my warranty just expired. The first thing is that I have never had a good experience with any OS on this laptop, including vista which came with it, which makes me think something is wrong. It is an hp pavillion dv6395ea. Here is my story with my problems, maybe you can help me.

When I first purchased this laptop, it cam with vista preinstalled. The first time I turned it on, it started check for invalid clusters on my hdd but eventually booted up properly. I would get this everytime I wanted to boot up and it would never shutdown. I decided to install XP, so I did. XP worked relatively well but sometimes the screen would go black and i woul have to reset VGA to get it to work. Eventually I thought of contacting support which told me to follow a few steps whic included instsalling a new graphics card driver and flashing my BIOS. Once I had done this, XP started blue screening. Here I found ubuntu, to make a long story short (relatively) I ended up on arch linux. during this time I noticed a few other problems: the hdd was spinning WAY to fast, the GPU is conmstantly at ~60 C (isnt that too hot?), infrared doesnt work anymore, the media center buttons have stoped working, cds have trouble reading and writing, I can no longer read/write dvds.

So what do you guys suggest I do? do you think there is anyway that I could get a replacement for this from HP? Any ideas?
EDIT: I have a similar HP laptop (dv2000) which i use at work which is also experiencing similar problems.

If it is out of warranty then I wouldn't hold my breath in regards to support. However when reading your story my first thought was to replace the hard drive with a new one and see if the problems go away. Have you tried that?

Sincerely,
Richard

MONODA
July 2nd, 2008, 01:12 PM
no I havent, I probably will soon though. is there any way to also change to optical drive?

rickyjones
July 2nd, 2008, 01:14 PM
no I havent, I probably will soon though. is there any way to also change to optical drive?

I am not familiar with HP laptops so I'm not sure on what would be required. Most laptops have removable optical drives but you might need to get an identical one from the vendor.

Sincerely,
Richard

bigken
July 2nd, 2008, 01:17 PM
take a look here

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=uk&dlc=en&docname=c01385057#c01385057_dv2 (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=uk&dlc=en&docname=c01385057#c01385057_dv2)

you might get lucky

Bliepo32
July 2nd, 2008, 01:39 PM
Maybe, depending on where you live, you still might be able to get a replacement, even though you do not have warranty anymore.

In my country, the law says that if you can expect a certain item to last for x years, you have the right for a replacement if it fails before the x years are over, even without warranty.

macogw
July 3rd, 2008, 05:01 AM
No warranty = SOL.

Buy a ZaReason. I just bought one. I love it. Nice 'n sturdy.