PDA

View Full Version : What companies need to support linux?

shaan.mi
July 2nd, 2008, 04:14 AM
I read an article a few years ago about linux and what it needs to succeed. It said two compaines need to support linux in order to succeed. One was adobe, the other is the one I cannot remember?Can anyone tell me which compaines need to support linux both Hardware and software, Im just curious.......

LaRoza
July 2nd, 2008, 04:15 AM
I read an article a few years ago about linux and what it needs to succeed. It said two compaines need to support linux in order to succeed. One was adobe, the other is the one I cannot remember?Can anyone tell which compaines need to support linux both Hardware and software, Im just curious.......

Linux doesn't need any other companies. It would be nice, but it is not needed.

Success isn't defined by getting it preinstalled and crushing competition, but by being useful. It is already very useful, moreso than the alternatives in many cases.

It could be any companies listed. People who use Adobe products "need" Adobe to support Linux for Linux to be useful to them. The other was probably a gaming company of a sort.

shaan.mi
July 2nd, 2008, 04:18 AM
By success I mean more users using it.

LaRoza
July 2nd, 2008, 04:19 AM
By success I mean more uers using it.

In that case, the support by the gaming companies would be a big factor, based on what I see on this forum.

Lostincyberspace
July 2nd, 2008, 05:04 AM
I think the biggest thing that is needed for is major pc company's.

gunashekar
July 2nd, 2008, 05:15 AM
Call me arrogant, but i would ask, Which companies need to be supported by Linux?

k99goran
July 2nd, 2008, 08:48 AM
Success isn't defined by getting it preinstalled and crushing competition, but by being useful.
They are related though. Having Linux preinstalled on more computers means more Linux users, means better support from third party software/hardware developers, means bigger overall usefulness of platform, means bigger overall usefulness of Ubuntu.

Of course, this can also work as a negative. Having Linux preinstalled on more computers means more Linux users, means better "support" from malware developers, means lesser overall usefulness of platform, means lesser overall usefulness of Ubuntu.

madjr
July 2nd, 2008, 10:27 AM
Hardware manufacturers (solving driver issues, using open standards, opening drivers, etc)

Hardware Vendors (pre-installing it)

Linux takes the shape of people's needs. The linux of tomorrow will not be the same as of today.

as it increases in marketshare it's structure and interface will change a lot.

after this, we'll have support from big software companies and more independent developers

ilrudie
July 2nd, 2008, 01:22 PM
Call me arrogant, but i would ask, Which companies need to be supported by Linux?If MS keeps popping out winners* like Vista every company will want to be supported by Linux. Also some big name games would probably help get more desktop users. Since ATI is beefing up Linux support and promising crossfire drivers for Linux maybe a big FPS is in the works for Linux and it just hasn't been announced or at least I havn't heard about it.

*by winners I mean garbage.

madjr
July 3rd, 2008, 10:20 AM
If MS keeps popping out winners* like Vista every company will want to be supported by Linux. Also some big name games would probably help get more desktop users. Since ATI is beefing up Linux support and promising crossfire drivers for Linux maybe a big FPS is in the works for Linux and it just hasn't been announced or at least I havn't heard about it.

*by winners I mean garbage.

Linux has good "big" FPS's already

sharks
July 3rd, 2008, 10:22 AM
Gaming companies should support Linux(EA)

barbedsaber
July 3rd, 2008, 10:24 AM
you say game, I say wine.

wrtpeeps
July 3rd, 2008, 11:09 AM
Adobe, for photoshop, which is far superior to GIMP.

One of the big games companies, to eliminate the need to run it in wine.

barbedsaber
July 3rd, 2008, 11:31 AM
may I suggest gimpshop, if gimp aint your cup of tea. It makes gimp look almost exactly like photoshop.

sujoy
July 3rd, 2008, 12:13 PM
how about intel and amd dropping support for M$? that would be cool :lolflag:

ilrudie
July 3rd, 2008, 12:21 PM
Linux has good "big" FPS's already

Could you please enlighten me? What are they called and are they in the repositories?

atomkarinca
July 3rd, 2008, 12:23 PM
Could you please enlighten me? What are they called and are they in the repositories?

Off the top of my head Nexuiz, Warsow, Open Arena, Tremulous. If you mean a single player FPS then you're right.

wrtpeeps
July 3rd, 2008, 01:18 PM
may I suggest gimpshop, if gimp aint your cup of tea. It makes gimp look almost exactly like photoshop.

I bet it still isn't as powerful.

ilrudie
July 3rd, 2008, 02:41 PM
Off the top of my head Nexuiz, Warsow, Open Arena, Tremulous. If you mean a single player FPS then you're right.

I am aware of most of these and I can't say they are good or bad because I have not played them. I personally am more of a console gamer however what I was actually talking about is not the lack of high quality FPS but rather high popularity or "big" FPS. The kind of things people are posting about like "I would totally use Ubuntu only if it weren't for <insert must have FPS of the day here>" Maybe ATI knows about one of *those* kinds of games that has a Linux version in the works.

*Sorry if I have offended and FOSS game developers or fans.

ilrudie
July 3rd, 2008, 02:45 PM
I bet it still isn't as powerful.
The argument could be made that it's actually much more powerful because if you find something it can't do instead of begging adobe for feature X you can just get the source and add feature X yourself. BAM! Limitless power!

Thats really neither here nor there. Adobe porting its apps to Linux could make Linux an option for many Creative folks who make a living using Adobe products and don't want or have time to learn something new.

madjr
July 3rd, 2008, 08:03 PM
I am aware of most of these and I can't say they are good or bad because I have not played them. I personally am more of a console gamer however what I was actually talking about is not the lack of high quality FPS but rather high popularity or "big" FPS. The kind of things people are posting about like "I would totally use Ubuntu only if it weren't for <insert must have FPS of the day here>" Maybe ATI knows about one of *those* kinds of games that has a Linux version in the works.

*Sorry if I have offended and FOSS game developers or fans.

by popular FPS you mean:

UT, wolfstein, doom3, quake4, quake wars - enemy territory and savage 2?

these are native.

here are a great list of games:

http://rangit.com/software/top-8-linux-games-of-2007/

i specially like Nexuiz cool graphics even thus is a free game.

plus you can play a ton of fps in wine.

linux don't need so many FPS, but it could use a few more native strategy games.

but most of the top games at least work well in wine.

madjr
July 3rd, 2008, 08:07 PM
Adobe, for photoshop, which is far superior to GIMP.

apart from you not knowing how to get around the interface and use gimp fully, in what aspect is photoshop so superior that you can't live without it?