PDA

View Full Version : aptitude - apt-get/cache: What's the difference?

KenBW2
July 1st, 2008, 11:34 PM
See title

Raven_Oscar
July 2nd, 2008, 06:40 AM
Well after brief looking on debian wiki (http://wiki.debian.org/Aptitude) it seems that aptitude is no more than frontend to apt.

forger
July 2nd, 2008, 06:43 AM
aptitude is made to handle the dependencies better (The recommended are installed as well I think, whereas apt-get installs only the recommended ones)
It's more or less the same thing, depends on how you're used to it.

Aptitude has command-line support to "freeze" packages (lock their version and don't update them using upgrade)

apt-cache has several things aptitude doesn't have, like "apt-cache policy package"

aptitude --help
apt-get --help
apt-cache --help

KenBW2
July 2nd, 2008, 10:00 AM
So it's not as simple as aptitude being a newer version of apt-get? Oh... So which am I best using?

Raven_Oscar
July 2nd, 2008, 10:37 AM
KenBW2
As for me I use aptitude. But some times I have to use apt (especially apt-cache) mostly because I like output of apt-cache search more than aptitude search.
For example in debian aptitude supposed to be primary package management tool and apt is a secondary tool for specialized tasks (prooflink (http://wiki.debian.org/Apt)).
As for ubuntu it seems there is no grate difference.

erginemr
July 2nd, 2008, 10:50 AM
-deleted-

See below...

erginemr
July 2nd, 2008, 10:51 AM
One vote for aptitude here, too. It handles dependencies better than apt-get, in that, if you install and then remove a program with aptitude, it will remove all unused dependencies along with.

Aptitude sports other functionalities as well: "aptitude search", "aptitude show" are but a few of these. There is also an interface to aptitude which you can activate by "sudo aptitude".

mashcaster
July 2nd, 2008, 11:01 AM
One vote for aptitude here, too. It handles dependencies better than apt-get, in that, if you install and then remove a program with aptitude, it will remove all unused dependencies along with.

Does the following command not do the same thing?

sudo apt-get remove program && sudo apt-get autoremove program

erginemr
July 2nd, 2008, 11:04 AM
I remember to have tried "sudo apt-get autoremove program" before, but all the command did was to remove the original package only (no dependencies).

Maybe, I should do another try and report back. What are your findings?

mashcaster
July 2nd, 2008, 11:06 AM
I remember to have tried "sudo apt-get autoremove program" before, but all the command did was to remove the original package only (no dependencies).

Maybe, I should do another try and report back. What are your findings?

How about sudo apt-get autoremove? I do that every now and again and it seems to remove a lot of redundant stuff. I've never really looked deeply into it though.

erginemr
July 2nd, 2008, 11:10 AM
Regarding "autoremove", the man page of apt-get looks promising:
http://www.annodex.net/cgi-bin/man/man2html?8+apt-get

I was rather using "deborphan" and a corresponding custom filter in Synaptic to remove orphaned packages. Yet, if "autoremove" works as promised, "apt-get" is more than welcome as a worthy alternative to "aptitude".

erginemr
July 2nd, 2008, 11:34 AM
Reporting for duty... :)

1. "sudo apt-get install pingus" installed the game and its dependencies.

2. "sudo apt-get autoremove pingus" successfully uninstalled all of them.

So, I owe an apology to "apt-get" and a big thanks to @mashcaster, for pointing out this feature.

mashcaster
July 2nd, 2008, 02:14 PM
Reporting for duty... :)

1. "sudo apt-get install pingus" installed the game and its dependencies.

2. "sudo apt-get autoremove pingus" successfully uninstalled all of them.

So, I owe an apology to "apt-get" and a big thanks to @mashcaster, for pointing out this feature.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this.

forger
July 2nd, 2008, 04:31 PM
if you want to purge the unused dependencies:

sudo apt-get autoremove --purge