PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu wont fresh install on new comp

gamersino
July 1st, 2008, 06:41 PM
So i just bought a new computer with these specs...
Intel q9450
2x 8800gt
4gb ram
780i motherboard
2x 500gb hard drives
and other unimportant things...
So when i try installing ubuntu (7.10 CD from Canonical) it goes fine till it hits

*running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local) [ok]

and after that it just stops... I tried checking the other threads but it looked like most hanged after they already had ubuntu installed... but this is a completely brand new install. Plz help!!!

mikewhatever
July 1st, 2008, 07:16 PM
The first thing to do should be to check the live CD for errors. There is an option to do it on the very first screen presented.

avtolle
July 1st, 2008, 07:19 PM
As I recall, 7.10 had a problem with IDE drive detection. You might want to edit the boot string and add all-generic-ide at the end of the line (before the -- at the end) and try to boot from there.

jualin
July 1st, 2008, 07:20 PM
As I recall, 7.10 had a problem with IDE drive detection. You might want to edit the boot string and add all-generic-ide at the end of the line (before the -- at the end) and try to boot from there.

To edit the line just follow this link (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions). Hope it helps!

gamersino
July 1st, 2008, 11:52 PM
problem finally fixed... after finding this key combo (Ctrl+Alt+F1) when it hanged, i would type in sudo startx and everything went smoothly from there

jualin
July 2nd, 2008, 04:05 AM
Congrats pal, glad the problem is solved. Mark it as "Solved" using the Thread Tools on top of this page.