PDA

View Full Version : Renaming wireless routers to promote Ubuntu

diafygi
July 1st, 2008, 04:22 PM
So my friend recently upgraded to Hardy Heron, and it automatically recognized her wireless card for the first time! So we went and bought a wireless router for her apartment to celebrate. The problem was we couldn't decide what to name it. There are about 10 other wireless access points in the apartment complex, and most of the SSID's were the default (netgear, linksys, etc.).

It occurred to us that since everyone in the complex is bound to see the SSID on their wireless network list, why not rename it to promote Ubuntu? So we named her router "Make the jump to Ubuntu!" I wonder how many people will see that and go look up Ubuntu.

Anyone else think this is a great idea? I bet most of you have wireless routers. Why not rename them to promote Ubuntu? I would think an interesting SSID would catch your neighbor's eye. Here are some ideas:

Make the jump to Ubuntu!
I use Ubuntu, so should you!
Ubuntu - Linux for human beings
Ubuntu, it's free!
Ubuntu just works
Ubuntu, no more viruses!
Ubuntu with Compiz-Fusion rocks!
Ubuntu, $240 less than Vista!

Anyone got any others?

Ocxic
July 1st, 2008, 06:28 PM
Ubuntu, $240 less than Vista!
+1

damis648
July 1st, 2008, 06:31 PM
I like it! Except that I live in the middle of nowhere where not even the closest neighbors could see my WiFi SSID so it really doesn't matter to me... mine is just called Linksys.

freebeer
July 2nd, 2008, 02:43 AM
Interesting idea. Just make sure it's secure... we wouldn't want to be sending the wrong message. :)

smartboyathome
July 2nd, 2008, 03:22 AM
I wouldn't do this here. My house is so far back only hackers would attempt to get on it, and would probably get in since the extender I bought only accepts a maximum of WEP. :(

Mateo
July 2nd, 2008, 03:39 AM
The fact that most people don't switch from the default name shows that no one looks at this stuff. Chances are no one will even notice it.

EdThaSlayer
July 2nd, 2008, 04:49 AM
What about "Linux4thawinz"? Something more globally accepted in the opensource world. Or maybe, "linuxsecureinside"?.

HotForLinux
July 31st, 2009, 02:37 AM
Promote GNU-Linux / Ubuntu in your e-mails - Ubuntu signature (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1227349)

overdrank
July 31st, 2009, 02:45 AM
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5451/necromancing.jpg