PDA

View Full Version : Mac Games and Linux, BSD and Solaris

global citizen
July 1st, 2008, 04:14 PM
hello community,

While I am not a Linux newbie as I have used Opensuse, Fedora, Freespire distros I am new to Ubuntu. Ubuntu has indeed become very popular now and I would like to test Ubuntu. Anyway just a small question from the ones who know much about Unix based Oses. Is it possible to play Mac games in Linux, BSD or Solaris since Mac is itself based on BSD Unix? If so with what modifications?

mips
July 1st, 2008, 04:22 PM
No. It's not as simple as that.

quanumphaze
July 1st, 2008, 04:30 PM
Sorry they can't.

Mac OSX uses different APIs for the desktop than other *NIX OS's. Plus it doesn't use an X server for the graphics either. It would require an implementation of Apple's APIs with something like Wine for Mac (Mine?).

One plus is that it should be easier for the developer to port it to Linux in the future since it's already made with cross-platform code. 2nd plus is the Windows version should run with more success in Wine if it has a hidden OpenGL option.

Dixon Bainbridge
July 1st, 2008, 07:55 PM
BSD can run linux apps but not vice versa afaik.

madjr
July 1st, 2008, 09:23 PM
mac is a close source OS even if unix based.

the only good thing is they have to use openGL

hanzomon4
July 1st, 2008, 11:10 PM
Also UNIX is a proprietary OS..... System V(5?) or something like that. All the other FOSS Unix OSs other are based on BSD with the exception of OpenSolaris which is Sys V.... I think?

eragon100
July 1st, 2008, 11:11 PM
No,linux was/is written from scratch, and is losely based on minix, not bsd.

hanzomon4
July 1st, 2008, 11:40 PM
No,linux was/is written from scratch, and is losely based on minix, not bsd.

I never said Linux was Unix ;)

zmjjmz
July 2nd, 2008, 02:16 AM
Nope.

quanumphaze
July 2nd, 2008, 05:59 AM
I never said Linux was Unix ;)

Obligatory: GNU's Not Unix

toupeiro
July 2nd, 2008, 06:30 AM

His statement was accurate. Most other FOSS UNIX OSes are based on the BSD model with exception to modern day Solaris and anything based on modern day Solaris. Solaris was at one time based on BSD until they saw the beauty of runlevels. GNU need not apply. In fact, anything that uses an /etc/rc#.d and /etc/init.d model is using a system V model, whether it be UNIX/Linux/minix/GNU or anything else.

hanzomon4
July 2nd, 2008, 07:23 AM

I'm assuming we're in agreement, but if not allow me to clarify: When I say Unix I mean Unix, not Linux. Freebsd, OpenSolaris, AIX, HP-UX... all Unix. Linux is not unix.

madjr
July 2nd, 2008, 09:46 AM
I'm assuming we're in agreement, but if not allow me to clarify: When I say Unix I mean Unix, not Linux. Freebsd, OpenSolaris, AIX, HP-UX... all Unix. Linux is not unix.

Linux is not unix.

does L.i.n.u.x really stand for that ?

toupeiro
July 2nd, 2008, 04:34 PM
Linux is not unix.

does L.i.n.u.x really stand for that ?

Its definately clever, but Linux is Linus with an x. :)