PDA

View Full Version : How to gix gdm in fedora 9 (sorta) (informatiave)

shawnansasio
July 1st, 2008, 03:06 PM
Are you a new fedora9 user and you want gdm themes.
Well you're in luck!!
here's how to do it:

step 1. Download these rpms: ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/updates/8/i386/gdm-2.20.5-3.fc8.i386.rpm , http://shawnrocks.2d.googlepages.com/fedorainfinity-gdm-theme-8.0.1-1.fc8.rpm

step 2. type sudo yum remove gdm

step 3.go to the folder where the files are (/home/myusername/Download by default) in Terminal.
Now listen carefully YOU CAN NOT CLICK ON THEM.
type: rpm -ivh --nodeps fedorainfinity-gdm-theme-8.0.1-1.fc8.rpm
Then : rpm -ivh gdm-2.20.5-3.fc8.i386.rpm
(As root or sudo)

Now reboot.

you will boot in to gdm!!

to get themes to work type:
sudo gdmsetup!!

Have fun installing Themes.

I am a 9 year old linux MASTER!!!

RebounD11
July 4th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Are you a new fedora9 user and you want gdm themes.
Well you're in luck!!
here's how to do it:

step 1. Download these rpms: ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/updates/8/i386/gdm-2.20.5-3.fc8.i386.rpm , http://shawnrocks.2d.googlepages.com/fedorainfinity-gdm-theme-8.0.1-1.fc8.rpm

step 2. type sudo yum remove gdm

step 3.go to the folder where the files are (/home/myusername/Download by default) in Terminal.
Now listen carefully YOU CAN NOT CLICK ON THEM.
type: rpm -ivh --nodeps fedorainfinity-gdm-theme-8.0.1-1.fc8.rpm
Then : rpm -ivh gdm-2.20.5-3.fc8.i386.rpm
(As root or sudo)

Now reboot.

you will boot in to gdm!!

to get themes to work type:
sudo gdmsetup!!

Have fun installing Themes.

I am a 9 year old linux MASTER!!!

That's the same kind of workaround that had to be done before the NVidia drivers supported F9's Xserver: downgrade to F8' version of it (it = Xorg + Xserver).

You need to point out that this is not recommended and can be dangerous. Besides if you don't lock those version after the first reboot they will be updated back to Fedora 9's GDM (version 2.22 I think not the 2.20 you just installed) so unless you don't plan to fully update your system or if you don't restart X after you've ran the update there's no problem (also no point to it). But if you don't lock the version after downgrading it will be changed back after update + X restart.