PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Already partitioned system

raddmadd
July 1st, 2008, 07:35 AM
Hello, friends. I have an Ubuntu 7.10 disc (I'll update to 8.04 once I install) and I have an already partitioned hard drive. I have an 180 gigabytes for Windows, and 50 gigabytes for Debian (also, some left over for swap). I do not want to alter the Windows partition, I just want to install in the 50 gigabyte partition.

So, should I delete the swap and 50 gigabytes partition, then create the swap and root in what is left over, or should I just format the swap and the 50 gigabytes partition that Debian is on?

If I do not check mark anything for the 180 gigabytes partition, it will not change Windows in anyway, correct? (This is mostly the question I wanted to ask; just to be careful)

powerpleb
July 1st, 2008, 07:44 AM
You can just use the same swap as Debian did, no need to reformat it, just indicate to the installed that you will be using that as the swap space. Everything should work fine.

I think it is better to get a 8.04 installation disc and install fresh rather than upgrading from 7.10.

raddmadd
July 1st, 2008, 07:51 AM
Okay, thank you.

Yeah I guess I'll download the 8.04 disc, I just didn't want to use another blank CD.

I'm a bit paranoid about installing, thats the only reason I put this thread up; My mother and sister will kill me if I hurt Windows, hehe. I'd backup their data, but its too much to backup. I only have a few CD's and a 2 gig USB stick.

hm.