PDA

View Full Version : Beginner guide to Ubuntu

Dojan5
July 1st, 2008, 05:17 AM
Hi!
I have been working on this guide lately, and, it isnt all done yet, it is still a work in progress. This far it is 17 pages, (The complete guide will be around 30 i guess) and it is a guide for beginners.
Now, i post this here, even if it is incomplete (And it is probably violating the rules), but i want some opinions, and quite frankly, i have no clue where else to post it.
I would like some opinions about what can be improved, what i could add, and so on.
Please come with constructive criticism since anything else is not of use for me.
Thanks
/
Joel
Download (http://rapidshare.com/files/125990007/Your_guide_to_Linux_-_Joel_Lundborg.pdf.html)

jpeddicord
July 2nd, 2008, 03:57 AM
Moved out of Tutorials and Tips, as it is an offsite link.

steveneddy
July 2nd, 2008, 04:23 AM
Why don't you make this into a web page instead of .pdf?

cardinals_fan
July 2nd, 2008, 04:25 AM
Why don't you make this into a web page instead of .pdf?
It's more useful as a pdf - it can be used on systems that don't have internet access set up.

EDIT: the pdf doesn't open.

phaed
July 2nd, 2008, 04:55 AM
PDF worked for me.

I've been wondering if it would be useful to have an icon called "Getting Started" on the desktop when you first log in after installing Ubuntu, which would have a set of tutorials for new Linux users.

How do I surf the web? And it would explain Firefox and where it's located.

How do I instant message? And it would explain Pidgin, plus have pictures illustrating how to set it up.

How do I change the wallpaper?

How do I install a printer?

How do I write a letter? You get the idea.

gunashekar
July 2nd, 2008, 05:24 AM
Is Ubuntu "freeware" .
I am not sure that Ubuntu can be called Freeware as you say on your guide. please check the definitions of the terms "freeware" GNU and "Free Software" just to be sure.