PDA

View Full Version : Iron Key for Linux

rhardie
July 1st, 2008, 04:47 AM
I found a cool tool for securing my private information.

My business requires that I have access to about a Gazillion password protected web sites that require changing passwords constantly. I keep my web address, user name and passwords securely stored OFF the system and out of paper notebooks.

Here is a great hardware encrypted flash drive that is very impressive and they tout Linux Support (not that there is anything much to 'support' but they are letting Linux folks know they want our business).

www.IronKey.com

Iron Key Announces Linux Support

https://www.ironkey.com/pressrelease20080616

-grubby
July 1st, 2008, 04:56 AM
Oooh, ever since I lost my flash drive, I've been looking to replace it. The problem is that it's $80..

rhardie
July 19th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Well, yes, it's $80, but in my case compromised data could cost me much, much more so this is comparatively cheap.

bp1509
July 19th, 2008, 05:14 PM
I wouldn't waste my money on IronKey, it's a neat product and cool that it finally supports linux, but you can just buy a standard USB key and use truecrypt to encrypt the drive, with a keyfile or passphrase, or both.

Barrucadu
July 19th, 2008, 06:57 PM
I just use my regular portable harddrive, and GPG everything i want to keep secret (such as my passwords list). It's very handy, especially if you use Dr Small's ged script (sorry, don't have the link saved).

Polygon
July 19th, 2008, 08:03 PM
just use revelation password manager and keep the database file on a usb key. =P

fedex1993
July 19th, 2008, 08:30 PM
there was a titanium on that was built a while back i think it is indestructable.

rhardie
August 15th, 2008, 11:51 AM
I spent 15 years in the military - as a company commander on two occasions - and I can appreciate the military grade security and the self destruct mechanisms that are built in. Some of us have business information that we can't afford to have ANYONE get hold of no matter what.

If I was transporting YOUR social security number and other personally identifiable information or passwords to databases that held your information, then I would hope you would appreciate that it was on something like Iron Key and not just a thumb drive with password protection or encryption.

I realize that not everyone needs or can appreciate the level of security offered by Iron Key, but for those who do and can, it's good to have around.

Polygon
August 15th, 2008, 02:32 PM
still, other programs like truecrypt do offer business and military grade encryption, except truecrypt is free and open source.