PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Where does all software downloaded with synaptic goes?

clayder
July 1st, 2008, 04:42 AM
Hello:

I just would like to know, where(path) ubuntu install software, downloaded through typing 'apt-get install ...'?

Most of times, I use synaptic package manager; however, I don't where all files of the downloaded software goes.

Thanks for your time.

iaculallad
July 1st, 2008, 04:47 AM
Hello:

I just would like to know, where(path) ubuntu install software, downloaded through typing 'apt-get install ...'?

Most of times, I use synaptic package manager; however, I don't where all files of the downloaded software goes.

Thanks for your time.

Browse to this directory:

/var/cache/apt/archives

This is where your packages are downloaded.

oldos2er
July 1st, 2008, 04:57 AM
Hello:

Thanks for your time.

In Synaptic, right-click on an installed package, choose Properties, Installed Files. This will tell you the installation path of each file in the package.

philk949
July 7th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Hi,
I was having the same problem locating packages installed by the Synaptic Manager, but now have located them. Thank you. The problem now is how to extract and access them for use.

philk949

muteXe
July 7th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Synaptic does this automatically doesn't it?

BlueSkyNIS
July 7th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Browse to this directory:

/var/cache/apt/archives

This is where your packages are downloaded.

I went there and found over 150Mb of *.deb files. Can I delete those *.deb files?

muteXe
July 7th, 2008, 01:46 PM
And if you mean you've dl'd and installed stuff with Synaptic, but nothing new is added to the menus, you might want to read this post:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2985&highlight=add%2Fremove