PDA

View Full Version : Idea to help new users.

chris4585
July 1st, 2008, 02:34 AM
Well.. my idea is pretty straight forward, for anyone new to Ubuntu, it can be quite scary. You know how right after you install Windows, it offers a very annoying tour in a balloon popup. Why not do something similar for Ubuntu, but instead of a balloon, why not have a popup dialog Saying "Congratulations You have successfully installed Ubuntu. Would you like a tour of your new operating system?" giving the user some information, such as if you would like to try this later go to the system menu, and whatever else, but very noticeably why not have a "Check this box if you want to download videos explaining Ubuntu," or have a alternative option right under it explaining things in text and a graphical way.

and this dialog/popup box would be very easily accessible from synaptic & available in the system menu somewhere..

I feel like Ubuntu should have this!

Brainstorm Link: http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/10545/

sharks
July 1st, 2008, 02:39 AM
I think there is no space in the live cd to add tour.

chris4585
July 1st, 2008, 02:45 AM
A simple dialog box? The videos would be downloaded..

I'm not a programmer, but a simple small dialog box I'm sure wont take up much space at all.

doorknob60
July 1st, 2008, 02:54 AM
Yes, I like that idea a lot :)

zmjjmz
July 1st, 2008, 02:56 AM
To brainstorm?

chris4585
July 1st, 2008, 02:59 AM
You really think I should brainstorm this?

zmjjmz
July 1st, 2008, 03:01 AM
Yes.

id1337x
July 1st, 2008, 03:06 AM
Well if you like this idea why don't you make some of those videos :) then maybe links to them can be accessible in the default installation.

chris4585
July 1st, 2008, 03:10 AM
Added

chris4585
July 1st, 2008, 03:12 AM
Well if you like this idea why don't you make some of those videos :) then maybe links to them can be accessible in the default installation.

I would love to, but I wouldn't believe I'm the one to do it. It would be more professional if the Ubuntu development team did it, or along those lines. But if I did make videos just for a example, I would to get my idea realize or discovered.

aysiu
July 1st, 2008, 03:17 AM
I think this is a terrible idea (who wants an annoying pop-up to say no to?), but I would fully support a tutorial slideshow during the installation:
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/136/

This already has the developer comment:
A slideshow during the installer is planned for 8.10

lisati
July 1st, 2008, 03:23 AM
I haven't checked other versions but the help files that get installed with Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty) have a "New tu Ubuntu?" section - perhaps the "tour" idea could work alongside the help system, a gentle version of "RTFM".

kevdog
July 1st, 2008, 03:26 AM
I just refer new users to the psychocat website -- worked for me. Except for the editing of the xorg.conf file -- that was a stumbling block for me at the beginning and no video was going to help me with that!

nkri
July 1st, 2008, 03:33 AM
I think this would be great idea. There's nothing more frustrating than not knowing what to do, but on top of that, not knowing enough about the OS to get help.

pluckypigeon
July 1st, 2008, 03:40 AM
I think dual booting is the problem, they always have windows to go back to if they get stuck.

I know it's personal preference though