PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu users! Who are you?

Pages : [1] 2 3

fresco
October 31st, 2005, 05:13 PM
Greetings to all of you!

There are so many peoples here discussing Ubuntu, chat, laugh, help each other... but who are we? It's so interesting to know what are our professions, education and life's goals in the real world? (Only don't tell me that the Internet is your reality. :) )

So please, don't hesistate, tell about yourself! :KS

As for me, I am studying at high school, currently I'm stick with computers and Linux. But ocassionaly I have feelings of internal instability in my soul, trying to find my way in this life. Don't know what I'm going to become, maybe I'll find an answer somewhere later... :rolleyes:

Vidar
October 31st, 2005, 07:58 PM
21 year old guy from sweden, working full-time as a 3D-artist at the game development company Avalanche Studios in Sweden.

Have been an ubuntu user for the last year or so. By now it's the only thing I let on my computers at home. :)

bored2k
October 31st, 2005, 08:01 PM
i'm bored. i sleep for fun. i use linux.

bionnaki
October 31st, 2005, 08:07 PM
hi im bionnaki

xequence
October 31st, 2005, 08:51 PM
A teenager from Canada. Music and Computers are my interests.

Master Shake
October 31st, 2005, 09:29 PM
37, M, Married, three kids. Hoping to use Linux for 99% of all my home computing needs.

majikstreet
October 31st, 2005, 09:42 PM
I'm a 12 year old Male from Maryland, USA...... I like linux.... Nobody likes me.... Oh yeah, and someday I'll be a cardio-thoracic surgeon with an Ubuntu datacenter!

cstudent
October 31st, 2005, 10:35 PM
I'm a 46 year old guy from Ohio (USA), married to my lovely wife for 23 years. I have two dogs, they are boxers. I obtained an associates degree in data processing in the early 80's and have been working in the computer field ever since. I started back to college this fall to obtain a bachelors degree in computer science. I hope to become a good programmer someday and help develop applications for Linux systems. I figure the open souce community is a great way to gain my programming chops. :)

Bill

UbuWu
October 31st, 2005, 10:55 PM
Medical student, 23, the Netherlands :KS

LorenzoD
October 31st, 2005, 11:27 PM
I'm Swedish but I live in Ghana. 34 years old. Married, two kids (one boy, one girl). Got into Linux after many years of using Commodore computers (from VIC=20 to Amiga 4000), got into Ubuntu right before Warty was released. Apart from Linux, I also use the various flavors of BSD.

I enjoy programming and studying (human) languages. I also listen to music: Beethoven, Sade and Slayer. Yes, that's an odd combination, but I'm an odd kinda guy.

raublekick
November 1st, 2005, 01:05 AM
I'm a 21 year old male from Pennsylvania, USA. I study Computer Science and work as both an intern at a web development company and a manager at a local restaurant.

I play lots of videogames and listen to lots of music; I also listen to lots of videogame music :) I play guitar too. Unfortunately being a full time student with two jobs doesn't give me much free time anymore :\

Suzan
November 1st, 2005, 01:18 AM
Hello folks!

I'm one of the rare females! I'm 33, married an live in Nürnberg, Germany.

My profession is graphics, design and making webpages. For my work i am depend on programms like photoshop and freehand, which don't run native on linux. So i can't use linux at work. :-( But i still hope, that companys like adobe will go for linux in the next few years.

My linux beginning was with SuSE 9.0, than 9.1. And then i heard from a brand new distro with the strange name "Ubuntu", which is based on debian. I was curios and tried it. It was Warty Preview Release. That was a very, very good desicion. 'Cause that day, i felt in love with ubuntu. :-)

Naglfari
November 1st, 2005, 01:32 AM
I'm a 45 year old male living in Kentucky, USA, right outside the Mammoth Cave National Park. Wake up in the morning to find whitetail deer and wild turkeys in my back yard, it's great. I also rescue stray and homeless cats, here are the current residents The Jellicle Tribe (http://www.geocities.com/skippymjp/jellicles.html)

Because I live in the middle of nowhere, I do everything online, banking, bill pay, shopping....and I've been concerned for some time about stability and security in windows. A friend of mine gave me a Warty CD set months ago, and I decided to finally give it a try a couple weeks ago following a Windows catastrophy, and haven't looked back. I now have upgraded to Breezy and have it on the laptop AND the desktop.

openmind
November 1st, 2005, 01:44 AM
43, married, one little girl (3). Travelled the world early in life now trying to settle down a bit. Electrical Tech (minimal computer work:( ). Wannabe geek, learning Python and some general programming tidbits. Harbors dream to go back to school and do a spectacular mid-life career change. Although with my responsibilities I'll probably die doing what I'm doing right now. :???: (Sigh)

william_nbg
November 1st, 2005, 01:53 AM
I'm an American living in Nuremberg, Germany. I'm a teacher by profession and have a small web design and graphics agency on the side. I'm 42, married, and have one grown child who seldom visits.

I installed Ubuntu on a second hard drive 9 months ago, after 2 years of searching for the perfect Linux distro (I tried at least a dozen of 'em). I dual booted for 3 months until taking XP completely off my computer. I can't imagine ever going back to windows, because I've never felt better about an OS as I do with Ubuntu.

I have gotten several friends and students to try Ubuntu. Two have changed completely. You just have to get them to try.:D

John.Michael.Kane
November 1st, 2005, 01:56 AM
I'm an unemployed Ubuntu user...... I got no friends ect..

Donnut
November 1st, 2005, 01:58 AM
I'm a 22 year old guy, in the U.S. Air Force, working with nucs currently...

Rinnan
November 1st, 2005, 02:08 AM
My name's Erik, I live in Honolulu, 33 years old, long time Linux user (kernel 0.99pl13, according to this page (http://www.jeepster.org.uk/history.html)), it was Slackware. On floppies. 40 of them.

By the way some of you are marked as "Ubuntu Breezy 5.10 User". I am also one, how may I recieve The Mark of the Badger?

EDIT: Fixed improperly nested parenthesis. I've been a programmer too long.

raublekick
November 1st, 2005, 02:10 AM
It's in the User CP somewhere.

Wide
November 1st, 2005, 02:21 AM
45 year old male from Venice Beach CA
Second generation biker (Harley)

Build custom bikes & parts using CADD & NC code programming

Spend my spare time doing computer forensics for the US Marshals service on a first entry basis for warrants.

Other then that, just a beach bum](*,)

skydvrgrl
November 1st, 2005, 02:24 AM
Me? I am 30 years old happily attached expecting our first one..anyday now lol

I am an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer by trade, and am now working with a new computer maintenance system we have implemented...so I made the change from grease to geek?? go figure! I am the middle level of management at my work and I enjoy my progressing career although I do miss the tools every now and then :)

My interests are skydiving, skydiving, anime, computers (I am a noob to linux...), digital art, skydiving, mountainbiking, skydiving, aviation oh did I mention skydiving?

Cheers....oh and I have mates that dont use or even own computers so I guess my reality exists outside of this laptop!!

John.Michael.Kane
November 1st, 2005, 02:27 AM
I'm must be the only unemployed ubuntu user here....

Rule
November 1st, 2005, 02:33 AM
I'm must be the only unemployed ubuntu user here....

not anymore :D

im 20 I like anime, racing (drift and autox) computers and trashing my civic with my friends :D

hoodwink
November 1st, 2005, 03:41 AM
I'm a 61 year old married Linux Admin living in the Denver area with a dog and cat and a daughter in college (well, the pets aren't in college;) ). I keep an up to date CentOS4 system on my PC as well as Kubuntu 5.10 and the XP variant of the Evil Empire Virus;) . My work systems are all Red Hat. I've been working with Linux 7+ years since early Slackware days. I've used Caldera, Mandrake, SuSE, Gentoo systems, and Fedora systems as well. Ubuntu is by far the best system I've found. This is what Debian could have become years ago if they didn't have their heads in a dark place.

fuscia
November 1st, 2005, 03:48 AM
i'm a voice teacher in north carolina. i'm married and i have a new cat named huey.

Strangerdave
November 1st, 2005, 03:49 AM
30 yr old M in Canada who digs holes for a living...actually I'm an archaeologist. Computers are what I do for fun...:rolleyes:

-SD-

felipe82
November 1st, 2005, 03:52 AM
22 year old Mechanical Engineering student from Chile...hopefully I'll stop being a student and a winXP user next year ;).

redenjaja
November 1st, 2005, 03:58 AM
im an electrical engineer here in batangas philippines, 26 happily married and expecting a baby girl any time this november. just used ubuntu last september and really loved it:D loves pc games so cant really shift 100% to ubuntu for now.

bearbigears
November 1st, 2005, 04:02 AM
i am a 49 yr old retired tattoo artist, computer enthusiast, linux user. sold my shops around texas when my son was born to be a stay at home dad. hope to show my son the ropes of linux in a few years

John.Michael.Kane
November 1st, 2005, 04:05 AM
wow all these welthy Ubuntu users lol

Maybe there should be a section for the unemployed users....

qalimas
November 1st, 2005, 04:16 AM
16 year old male in southwest Louisiana (USA). I enjoy spending time with my gf, writing small PHP snippets, experimenting with Linux, and chatting/surfing hte net in general ^^

geocritter
November 1st, 2005, 05:55 AM
I'm Dan, a 32 year old geologist from Richmond, VA, working for an engineering firm, and very happily married to a wonderful and beautiful special education pre-k teacher who has the biggest heart of anyone I've ever met.

I use computers a lot, do very little programming, but I do build my own systems, and basically do all of the "in house" IT stuff for our satellite office, unofficially, of course. :-)

I've been working with various linux distros since, oh, RH 5.2 and Caldera 2.2 (or was it 2.3?). Anyway, I was kinda hung on suse for a long time, then slack, then ubuntu, then debian, then ubuntu breezy...whew! It's fun to try different flavors. I really like a lot of things about ubuntu, but I also like to keep my "pure debian" skills honed, too. Even thinking about playing with FreeBSD when 6.0 comes out, just to see what it's about. But at the same time...I've kind of got my breezy like I want it... It's all my hobby. I don't get to fish and hunt as much as I used to, so I have to have something, right?

Anyway, that's me!

darrenrxm
November 1st, 2005, 06:20 AM
My name is Darren, im 31 from Canada. I suffer from a major depression and as a result of my sickness. Im a highschool dropout, and I work as a dishwasher for a living. Anyway, I guess this ubuntu distro is for joe six pack. I have gotten almost everything to work just by cutting and pasting from the starter guide and putting it in the terminal. Now if I could only get the ati drivers to install I'd be set. But I blame ati for them not working not ubuntu.

Oh yeah, I used to work at a Canadian Tire store. They keep the Canadian Tire money in a safe with the real money. I had a good laugh when I saw that they did that.

darkmatter
November 1st, 2005, 07:31 AM
32 year old male from Saskatchewan (Canada).

Dark...like to fly under the radar most the time.
Metal loving computer geek/artist......and trying to seriously break into both markets on a larger scale now that regular work is a no-go according to the MD's...

Married...father to a special needs child (love that boy so darn much).

nsa_767
November 1st, 2005, 02:26 PM
Glad to hear so many ubuntu users are married! It means there's hope for me yet! LOL

I'm 20 year old male from South Africa, studying economics. I have serious interest in computers, maths and 3d graphics.

My first experience with linux was with Corel Linux. Thereafter I moved on to SuSE 7.3 Pro, and now I'm on Hoary.

Unfortunately, with all three of these, I've always had a dual boot system, with Windows on the one drive... Hopefully that'll change soon.

Stormy Eyes
November 1st, 2005, 03:43 PM
I am Bob Dole's worst nightmare. I'm depraved, and I vote.

matthew
November 1st, 2005, 03:52 PM
I'm a 32 year old male geek polyglot guitar playing writer with a beautiful wife and two kids (and a third due to arrive in January).

EDIT: ...need to add who can't count. I'm 35. Where have the last three years gone??

Dragonfly_X
November 1st, 2005, 06:06 PM
I'm 21, studied software development at collage, now i'm working at an IT Helpdesk. I hate this bloody job! I'm thinking of doing something Like MCSE but i'm not sure. I want to get into network security. Other than working I party my brains out over weekends. :)

innovatel
November 1st, 2005, 06:17 PM
I'm 24 years old. I live in Italy near Milan and I work how developer. I live with my father, mather and brother.

welsh_spud
November 1st, 2005, 07:57 PM
15 year old Swansea boy here. Doing IT GCSE :)

Joh_
November 1st, 2005, 09:40 PM
19 year old guy from sweden. Studying to become a graphical designer and almost done with it (finally :D).

Been using Ubuntu since february this year, only tried Redhat before that but when I found Ubuntu I haven't even thought about switching back. Still dual-booting with XP though for InDesign, Photoshop and Guild Wars.

chimera
November 1st, 2005, 09:55 PM
16 years old from slovenia,studying to become an architect,in my free time I spread far-left politics and ubuntu.

canadianwriterman
November 1st, 2005, 10:07 PM
I'm the "old guy." 54 years old from Canada and a Corporate Communications Manager (not IT "communications," but the writing type of communications). I've been using PCs since the 80s, starting with DOS, moving through Windows to XP and now on Linux.

NightwishFreak
November 1st, 2005, 10:32 PM
My name is Robert Brooks, i'm 21 and from Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada. I'm a Chef, and I've been using Ubuntu since December 2004.

Kyral
November 1st, 2005, 10:36 PM
*Points to his page on UbuntuWiki*

Nu-Buntu
November 1st, 2005, 10:49 PM
I'm the "old guy." 54 years old from Canada and a Corporate Communications Manager (not IT "communications," but the writing type of communications). I've been using PCs since the 80s, starting with DOS, moving through Windows to XP and now on Linux.

Similar to the above . . . I am a 52 year old marketing / advertising manager for a company in Colorado. Been using PCs since DOS 2. My company uses XP, but at home, its Ubuntu Linux!

We "old guys" rock! :p

mp3guy
November 1st, 2005, 10:58 PM
I'm a 16 year old from Ireland, been in computers for 12 years now.

tseliot
November 1st, 2005, 11:46 PM
I'm a 22 (23 next April) Italian chap, who studies foreign lanuguages at the University of Lecce. I'm going to get my 1st level degree in December (I'm already attending the classes for my 2nd level degree (and I'm studying very hard... as usual).

I have used PCs since when I was 7 and I discovered Ubuntu last April (and left Windows for good). I currently dual boot Ubuntu Breezy and Gentoo (I love to learn new things about Linux)

racecat
November 2nd, 2005, 12:51 AM
Another old guy, here; 49 in 2 weeks. Navy electonics landed me in pre-pc computer hardware field engineering (my dream job). Laid off in '96 and couldn't compete. Seems formal education and accreditations were more in demand. Landed in security elecronics installing cameras and card access stuff. No complaints except it's a little more physical than I like some days. I probably can't drag around a 28' extension ladder for too many more years.

Married. Lots of kids and grandkids between us. One left in the house. Always interested in anything techie, archaeology and paeleo-anthropology (hope I spelled these right) off and on, vegan cooking, and alternative transportation. My interests evolve.

Still don't know what I want to be if/when I grow up.

Bill

mattheweast
November 2nd, 2005, 12:55 AM
24 year old lawyer. Into computers vaguely for many years, hooked on linux for 2 years.

ubuntu27
November 2nd, 2005, 03:41 AM
I'm 18 11/12 years old. I am a college student.
ANd my computer doble boots Windows XP SP2 and Breezy Badger 5.10.
I still use windows because all of my files are there, and I am lazy to move it to Ubuntu... further more, I am like an Manga/Anime Otaku... so I have a lot of Anime related stuff in my Windows partition... it is a pain to move it to Ubuntu > <

And, oh, yeah. I use Portable Firefox in my Jumo Drive when I'm in college, cuz they use IE :P

Master Magnus
November 3rd, 2005, 03:01 PM
16 year from Karlstad in Sweden, switched to Ubuntu 2 days ago :)

Suzan
November 3rd, 2005, 03:07 PM
I hope, a few more women come to Ubuntu.

matthew
November 3rd, 2005, 04:25 PM
I hope, a few more women come to Ubuntu.
Me too. I will say that my wife and two daughters all use Ubuntu, but none of them like to hang out in forums and such. Perhaps there are more than we see around here?

niko_
November 3rd, 2005, 04:40 PM
I am Niko, 17 years old high school student from Slovenia. I use linux for 4 years (since i was 13), im programming and designing alot + modifying everything in linux to my own taste (freedom). Luckily my life is not only around computers, i also have a wonderful girlfriend <3 O:)

bhursey
November 3rd, 2005, 05:13 PM
Im 23 I live in Atlanta, GA... I am currentley a student at Clayton State University geting my BIT "Software Development" I have my ASSIT "In software development" I have been a Linux user sence 2001 and I am working on getting a job at ISS(Internet Security Systems). I currentley do tech support and am a web application developer for my school.

jc87
November 3rd, 2005, 06:36 PM
I´m seventeen (some more days and i will be eighteen) , i´m Portuguese .

I only started using ubuntu about two months , because before this pc was both for me and for myt older sister (so at the time i only used live-cd´s) , and now that i am it´s only user , this machine is a gnu/Linux monopoly:eek: .

I´m currently writiting an article called Gnu/Linux for dummies (in portuguese , i dont have plans for a english version at the moment) which explains to noobs what Gnu/Linux is , advantages , how to choose a distribution , etc... and after it i´m gonna return to my home learning python programming "just for fun".

Mr_J_
November 3rd, 2005, 06:51 PM
I am a portuguese 22 year old computer tech.
My personal computer is now using only Ubuntu and I will be changing my motherboard and Processor to 64bit.
Started using Linux on and off some years ago and I liked it a lot.
I was using Mandriva; Mandrake at the time, I liked the diference and control I got, besides the fun of learning was there again.

Now I use Ubuntu (32bit) and I am making it my safe haven for my linux distro experiments. Since it just works with minimal tweaking needed.
The philosophy of it is also appealing.

kvidell
November 3rd, 2005, 06:58 PM
Lessee....
I'm an 18 year old, gay male, originally from San Jose, California... now living in Mountain View, California... I'm half Portuguese, half German.

I like reading the boring novels (Crime and Punishment, Dante.. etc..), I want to go to college for Psychology, with a focus in Autism and Psychology with a focus in the affects of Psychoactives in the brain... and for a career I wanna do some high level IT stuff. (Funny how the schooling and the career aren't related..)

Anyway... I'm pretty musically diverse, I'm a Dark Tribal DJ who enjoys listening to almost anything. Also, I'm an Orchestral Bassist (Baroque), and I enjoy the electric bass as well.

I hate writing about myself so I'm going to simply stop now.
- K

christooss
November 3rd, 2005, 08:10 PM
20 years old Student of Computer something.

I have a dog

ubuntu27
November 4th, 2005, 10:16 PM
WoW It seems ALL of us are so young !! 13-30 years old !!

r4ik
November 5th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Me?
Richard 47 newbee to Ubuntu.
Location Netherlands.
My work?
Repair and build computersytems with the W word.
Just guess why i'm here. :D

frühstück
November 5th, 2005, 10:58 PM
20 years old, male, switzerland, unemployed, no dogs, crazy :rolleyes:

Metal Computer
November 5th, 2005, 11:11 PM
Well!!

I'm Luciano from Caldas, a little city from Brazil!!
I'm Studing Computer Sciency.
I'm Guitarrist.
I love heavy metal, (iron maiden is the best).

and my english is terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lukeweb
November 5th, 2005, 11:34 PM
I'm a 17 year old guy from Scotland - forever cynical, I sit on the left of the political spectrum, listen to a rather eclectic collection of music (thank god for amaroK's Dynamic Mode which has put an end to that unease when Winamp jumps from the Dead Kennedy's to Kate Bush :) ) and although I have no real developed ability in any programming language, I've made several programs for Windows, including some stuff which rape's last.fm's feeds (there is sooo much info there, I'm forever looking at ways to take advantage of it) and in the past I've had my flirts with Mandrake, but I've tracked Ubuntu for quite a while now, and absolutely love it.
I'll be honest, I'm not the biggest Microsoft hater ever, and I don't think Windows is the steamy pile of crap some say it is. I like to look at Linux the way a writer might have their holiday refuge somewhere. It's a place I like to go to be inspired, and when I finally decide to tackle a proper programming language in the near future, I know I'm going to have to do it in Linux to get that real buzz.
I love the fact that my ATI card won't work immediately - and it feels like cheating to get told how to make it work. I love to play and tinker and to completely break my system...at least that way I can learn something instead of being stopped from doing it in the first place (if that makes any sense).
I'm straight edge, gay, and I've just discovered I seem to be completely self-obsessed. I'm also going to uni sometime in the near future to do something with those...scary...compoota things.
Sorry about the ramble!

dueyfinster
November 6th, 2005, 12:47 AM
See my wiki page Its at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/DueyFinster

dueyfinster
November 6th, 2005, 12:48 AM
See my wiki page Its at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/DueyFinster

Plank117
November 6th, 2005, 01:00 AM
As for me, I'm a high school sophmore in San Diego, California. I don't program recreationally, unlike some people I know (I used to but I bet you can guess why I don't anymore). I mainly program little tools for myself to make life a little easier. I listed my location as "Behind the Hot Water Pipes, King's Cross, London" because I'm a devout fan of "Monty Python's Flying Circus." It's a reference to one of their sketches, a fake gameshow called "Blackmail." As long as I'm talking about geography, I'd much rather live in Wyoming. I long for wide open skies with no windows, I suppose. As far as hobbies are concerned I play guitar, try to get all my hardware working in linux, and hope to someday get into off-road rally. My current automotive fantasy is a Subaru Impreza WRX STi, but I'll probably end up getting a used Subaru Impreza Outback and reinforcing the suspension so I won't destroy it rallying. I'll probably end up going into engineering, like my father. It runs in the family, I'm afraid. The University of British Columbia would be my first pick, as it's a good engineering school and about an hour's drive from Whistler-Blackcomb.

sebz2005
November 6th, 2005, 01:13 AM
Name: Sebastian Kaczorowski
Linux: Ubuntu 5.10 Breesy Badger
Position with Linux: Newbie ~ Intermediate

I've been arounf linux for a while. I know most of the commands to run and execute stuff. Recently moved from Fedora Core 4 to Ubuntu 5.10

My friend said it was much faster, less errors, and could run apache2, mysql, php, perl, etc. and it was realy good!

So... Yeah!

valczir
November 7th, 2005, 10:24 AM
I am a male from Minnesota, US (although most of the US shuns us, and we're generally thought of as Canadians by them, and as Americans by Canada....yeah....loners).

I love video games, and am currently in the midst of making all my old Windows games run in Cedega (I am NEVER buying a game that doesn't support linux again).

I'm a Christian, going to Bethel University in the St Paul area, though I'm from a ways north (a bit north of central minnesota), and am currently quite sick and have a Christian Theology test later today (I really hope that my prof lets me out of that). I write for fun. I am currently attempting to develop a custom NWN module for our school (for Freshmen to play to get used to the school). I often forget which spelling of a word is american and which is just plain wrong (they're the same, aren't they?) so I sometimes end up spelling things the British way.

I currently play Guild Wars, Planeshift, NWN (working on getting a custom online thingy for it, too), and RYL (good game, though the quests are lacking and powerleveling is annoying as heck. It got bad reviews, but most of the reviewers' info was incorrect. However, PVP is supposedly amazing. I haven't gotten there, yet.). I'm not sure if I can get it to work in linux, but I do have an account, so I'll list it. I also play random FPS games (UT2004, specifically), but I'm not very good at them. Oh, and I hate Halo and Halo II.

I love Red vs Blue (only show I'll watch regularly - I hate TV) and don't watch many movies or TV shows, because the morals in them are far beyond lacking. Seriously, have you ever paid attention to how many times people in Friends or most other popular shows screw eachother? And how many of them are married? Yeah. That's what I thought. A lot and none, respectively.

Anyway, I'm gonna try to get some sleep to get rid of this sickness. I'm coughing less, right now, but that'll probly change when I lie down.

-Valc (Valczir Darkvein, the character I've spent many years developing)

Collin
November 7th, 2005, 10:43 AM
I'm Collin from the french side of Canada, 23, ex-military (communication research and admin), now studying liberal arts going for east-asian studies and maybe photo journalism later. I currently work as a tech support in a call center for Bell expressvu satellite tv service (the irony is that I haven't had any cable services for the past 6 years)

I also study for myself everything related to open source but mainly the relation to politics and socialism and democracy (after all the philosophy of the open source community are the same as the ones from the french revolution)

And I'm also working on a project for a linux breakthrough in the various college around the province

HiSpeed15
February 7th, 2006, 09:16 PM
45 yr old trucker Married w/kids.....computers are my toys. I may not know alot about em but I sure have fun playin with em....

Kimm
February 7th, 2006, 09:19 PM
soon to be 18 year old male from Sweden.
Uses Ubuntu for all computer work and plan on doing so for a long time to come.
Studies physics, maths, chemistry and biology. Single :-P

Nabba
February 7th, 2006, 11:13 PM
well i live in hartlepool(uk) i am 21 (it is my birthday today) and i am a plumber(a very good at computers plumber but plumber all the same), i work with my father. we are both
corgi reg(it means can work on gas) so if any one having trouble with there boiler i am your man. used to be really in to computers but got sick of people asking me to fix them. got a new laptop and installed ubuntu(dual boot with m$ xp) first time using linux in anyform but like all the same:eek:

Lord Illidan
February 7th, 2006, 11:33 PM
I am a soon to be 17 year old male, big muscles and all that...lolz, from Malta, that tiny dot in the Mediterranean you probably didn't know existed.

I study computing and pure maths A level.

And I use Linux 100% at home and at school, for gaming, programming, working, everything.

I used to try to convert my friends, but I have given up. They want to use Windows, fine let them use Windows...just as long as I can use Linux in peace...

bonzodog
February 8th, 2006, 12:03 AM
I am a 32 yr old married father of 3 kids (live with ex in UK) living in west of Ireland. I am currently using Dapper drake 64 as the sole OS on my only computer. I've been into linux since about 1996, when i used to help out in an Internet cafe running SLES linux, then BSD. I am currently unemployed, but I normally drive trucks for a living - it beats working in offices. So i spend all my current time maintaining the UDSF, and helping people in here and on irc.freenode.net in #ubuntuforums.

AndyCooll
February 8th, 2006, 01:16 AM
Ok, I am 42 years old, married, Christian, and from Stockport (near Manchester) in the United Kingdom. I work as a Database Librarian for Stockport Libraries, that's half-time the traditional cataloguing everyone thinks of with library staff and half-time staffing an IT Help Desk.

Work unfortunately is all Winblows (though I'm slowly introducing ideas of Linux, Open Office, Firefox etc).

Started using computers about ten years ago after my bro got me interested. Until eight months ago I was M$ through and through. However my guilt of constantly using pirated software finally got the better of me and I sought a change. Initially I came across Firefox, then Open Office ...and then the next natural step is Linux. It was the neasy for the open-source bug to bite me. I started off using Fedora Core but when I came across Ubuntu ...well, it just felt right.
This is partly due to the fact that in my thinking has been the fact that I've converted my wife's pc's to Linux too. And it had to be user friendly since she has very little computer knowledge (e-mails, Internet and music).
Now running four boxes and a couple of old laptops on Linux. Just one is dual boot, and that's only because I ain't worked out how to get Football Manager running on Wine yet (otherwise it would be Linux 100%)!

Though I have an IT Help Desk job I'm not really an IT expert, I'm wholly self-taught. I know more than the vast majority, but I'm left standing by true IT people. Linux has been an exciting challenge for me. Perfectly illustrated by the fact that it took me until last night to get my wireless network running. Eight months ...but I cracked it in the end!!!

:cool:

bionicyeti
February 8th, 2006, 02:27 AM
33 year old male, married, windows sys admin. Currently living in USA (Ann Arbor Michigan).

Linux newbie. Tried to dual boot Ubuntu and XP but wasted my XP partition in the process so I've been 100% Ubuntu ever since. I don't see myself leaving linux anytime soon.

spartas
February 8th, 2006, 02:37 AM
Student, Computer Science @ LSU, Baton Rouge, LA. Twenty-one, with a B-Day on the 28th, Mardi Gras! Ubuntu Abuser since the Ol' Warty days. Ubuntu is my first linux distro. I've since tried Knoppix, and I have a KnoppMyth box for my T.V. shows, which is currently broken becuase I love trying out beta stuff, and beta stuff breaks, often. Anything else? Just ask.

Jedeye
February 8th, 2006, 02:47 AM
23 year old graphic designer from Fayetteville, Georgia. Apple at work, Ubuntu at home and Windows in the trash.

tht00
February 8th, 2006, 02:54 AM
19, male, Purdue student, Christian (Mennonite ;)).

scpike
February 8th, 2006, 06:58 AM
18 y/o Comp sci and business major at UPenn

Iandefor
February 8th, 2006, 07:09 AM
I'm a 16-year old student at an itty-bitty high school in the city of Bellingham, WA, called Explorations Academy. To give you an idea of the size of the school, there are 10 more students than I can count with my fingers. I'm trying to work out too much stuff at the same time, and my school keeps giving me more to think about. My school really is a huge part of my life. My friends all go there, I spend a lot of my time there, and I've got some amazing teachers I would be loth to attend school without. Too bad they're often tasked with teaching the stupidest people on Earth.

I like books. And music. And Linux. But most of all, I love when life moves harmoniously and I can live happily.

mstlyevil
February 8th, 2006, 07:12 AM
Too bad they're often tasked with teaching the stupidest people on Earth.

They obviously never taught me! (I am not stupid! I am intellectually challenged!) :mrgreen:

Iandefor
February 8th, 2006, 07:22 AM
They obviously never taught me! (I am not stupid! I am intellectually challenged!) :mrgreen: In my book, there's a difference between intellectually challenged and stupid. Stupid, to me, means willfuly ignorant and unwilling to go out and see other ways of being and other ways of doing things and other ways of thinking.

I'm actually pretty intellectually challenged :). But I try like hell to go out and learn and try to see other people's perspectives.

Sirin
February 8th, 2006, 07:34 AM
14-yr old, Programmer, Web Designer, Graphic Designer. I contain the three essentials. I started out with Fedora Core 1 back in July, and went to Ubuntu on September 22nd. :)

TechSonic
February 8th, 2006, 07:37 AM
22 Year old exausted Windows technical assistant for a local computer repair shop.

I use Linux at home, I work with Windows.

kingsidy
February 8th, 2006, 07:41 AM
23, electrical engineer, ex Suse and Slackware user.

slider2800
February 8th, 2006, 08:45 AM
20years old webdesigner, graphics designer, musician, composer from Hungary.

Perfect Storm
February 8th, 2006, 09:19 AM
28 male, Denmark. Works as a Paedagog, educated as gardener. Got an obsessions with horror genre (books movies comics, you name it) and tons of other hobbies. My first linux system: Corel linux (rest in peace), my first computer commodore 64 with tape streamer.

Garyu
February 8th, 2006, 10:02 AM
30 y.o. retired computer consultant specialized in Oracle (got bored) trying to find the perfect stride through life. I studied philosophy for a year, animal care for a year, and now I am becoming one with the forest as I study to become what we in Sweden call Jägmästare, in Germany they say "Jägermeister", but you booring english fellows simply say that I am studying to become a "Master of Science with a major in forestry". Jägmästare, or as it would translate "Master of the hunt" is much more exciting IMO. :cool:

My dad bought our first PC in 1989 with GW DOS on it. In 1996 i experimented a bit with RedHat linux, but since I couldn't figure out how to make X work I dropped that project. Spring 2005 I gave linux another try and installed SuSE, but I had a lot of hardware issues so I dropped that project too. Then I heard rumors about Ubuntu, so I tried Hoary out which was a major improvement from SuSE but still a few hardware issues so I continued on with Windows until January 2005 when I installed Breezy, everything worked smoothly and now I run both of my computers at home 100% Ubuntu, though the old one I changed window manager on to Xfce, so I guess you might call that one Xubuntu now?

skydvrgrl
February 8th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Okay, here is an update:

Me? I am 32 years old, no grey hairs, still get accused of being about 12 at work. I work for the Army but I started on the floor as an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer within the airline sector, I now manage a section overseeing (ie system admin type) our maintenance software system.
I am happily attached and we have a little girl who is nearly 3 months old lol \\:D/

I moved to Ubuntu after someone here at work (yeah I am at work now) convinced me that my boredom with ******* could be cured by a shot of linux. I am glad I did as I have learnt a hell of a lot more about my own computing experience than I knew possible, and am completly ******* free :D

I skydive in my spare time (hence the nick) and thats not much since the daughter came along...something about getting my wingloading down :D
I also mountainbike, again at the moment it is only to and from work!

My aim now is to come up with a HOWTO that noone else has done that I picked up myself :)

Cheers!

greenway
February 8th, 2006, 12:05 PM
I am 23 year old Dutch guy, working and living in the far south of Thailand. Making my living as a in house web app dev for a international tourism group.

kenweill
February 8th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Im Ken Weill Lumacad, 27, M, living and working in Lazi, Siquijor, Philippines. Casual Worker. Working as something like a system/network administrator.

They assign me in an office where there are three computers, an all-in-one printer, webcam, switch. All of them have no OS installed. I installed Windows XP and Ubuntu, dual boot. I did all of the install from OS to networking.

Started using Ubuntu last November 2005. Learned it from our Open Source Seminar held in Cebu City, Philippines.

Starting to love Ubuntu.

Oaf
February 9th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Yello.

23 year old master mariner student, Finland.
On and off aboard, absolutely love Ubuntu (coming from Slack & Wind0ze).
Spreadin' the word! (1 converted atm) :)

Harry_Sack
February 18th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Been nihilistic for too many years, but linux helps, I guess

johnyz
February 18th, 2006, 10:06 PM
:) I'm 27 from england, and everybody says i'm crazy

Stormy Eyes
February 18th, 2006, 10:27 PM
27 years old, married, straight, irreligious, longhaired American capitalist pigdog. I hack for a living, write bad science fiction to impress women, and use Linux at home.

FizDev
February 18th, 2006, 10:33 PM
18 years old, Student, Canada

Harry_Sack
February 18th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Stormy Eyes that sounds pretty decent to me.

ndhskp
February 18th, 2006, 10:48 PM
33 year old single male. I live Spokane, Wa USA. I have been on government disability for 10 years due to mental illness and have maybe worked a total of 3 years in the last 15 or so. My life sucks. I live almost my entire life through the computer because my brain can't handle going outside very well. However I do have a very supportive family and I do have some friends. Recently I got called for jury duty and had to send them a doctors note to get out of jury duty. Cheers.

5-HT
February 18th, 2006, 10:49 PM
23 year old Canadian neuroscience student.

Relative newcomer to Linux and Ubuntu (Aug 2005).

Interests include music, guitar, literature, the unintential humour in everyday life, and pursuing the mysteries of the mind.

Harry_Sack
February 18th, 2006, 10:55 PM
hey ndhskp. you should not JUST think that your life sucks. of course it does. BUT. There's always BUT, There's allways a BUTT.
Linux is good to me too. I sit 18hours a day i front of it now. Some of my friends are in mental hospital now, and I'm not very fond of going out myself these days, but despite it all, you should PIRATE DOWNLOAD THE ORB - thursdayteatime 01.25.01 and it's really GREAT!

Skye
February 19th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Hi folks!

I'm a 16 year old guy in high school right outside Boston, Mass. I do tech support for a non-profit, (Stand for Children (http://www.stand.org/)) and I love it. I'm also pretty big into physics and engineering, and especially computers.

I've been using linux for... maybe a year and a half now, or thereabouts. I orginally got started when I picked up an old Dell GLX1 workstation for 20 bucks at a MIT garage sale, (for those of your around Boston, it's called the MIT Swapfest (http://web.mit.edu/w1mx/www/swapfest.html), and it happens monthly, Spring through fall.)

I was getting bored with windows, and I wanted to try linux- that old dell proved to be the perfext oppurtunity. I tried Mandrake 10, Debian stable, Debian unstable, Debian testing, Fedora Core, suse... lots of ditros. Of all of them, I liked debian the best- but I personally thought the dicumentation was a bit spotty. On IRC, i heard of this "amazing" new distro called Ubuntu which was similar to debian, so I grabbed an ISO of warty, and installed it- it was love at first sight. In fact, I loved Ubuntu so much, I switched to my gaming desktop to a dual-boot setup with Warty and XP. I stayed with it through Hoary, and into Breezy. I really enjoy showing off linux and Ubuntu to my friends- as of now, I've converted 4 people into Ubuntu users.

Right now, I have all three of my computers running some flavor of Ubuntu- My desktop, laptop, and fileserver. The desktop is running a 2.6.14-cK1 kernel that I compiled myself, just for the sake of doing it. My laptop is running a 2.5.15 kernel with ACPI and Suspend2 patches. Finally, I have a local fileserver running a stock 2.6.10-5-386 kernel.

Ubuntu is a wonderful distro- it simly outclasses everything else.

ndhskp
February 19th, 2006, 12:40 AM
you should PIRATE DOWNLOAD THE ORB - thursdayteatime 01.25.01 and it's really GREAT!
What the heck is that > PIRATE DOWNLOAD THE ORB - thursdayteatime 01.25.01

No I aint the madhatter. ;)

knalle
February 19th, 2006, 12:50 AM
http://www.lamers.tv/entry/75#body

ndhskp
February 19th, 2006, 01:08 AM
http://www.lamers.tv/entry/75#body
That was funny as hell. I had to do the same thing with nano the first time.

orlox
February 19th, 2006, 01:12 AM
Pablo, 19, single. Live at Santiago de Chile, and I study astronomy, physics, and computer engineering...Currently doing absolutely nothing and enjoing my soon to end vacations...

knalle
February 19th, 2006, 01:14 AM
i have improved a lot since that time, now i just log into another terminal and kill -9 emacs, works every time!

sabredog
February 19th, 2006, 01:44 AM
39 year old Australian male, very happily married with 5 kids of which 3 live with us. (my two sons live with their mum and stepdad).

I have a 5 PC WinXP network at home with the newest PC being dual boot XP/Breezy. Breezy is on 99% of the time as I embrace the challenges of learning Linux with the notion that the youngest daughters PC will be a Linux Ubuntu PC rather than XP.

My 14 year old son uses Ubuntu and loves it, plus the games are enjoyed by all the girls. This certainly makes my task easier :)

garnertr
February 19th, 2006, 01:51 AM
Thomas Roy Garner, married with three children. I currently live in the United States, Washington State, in a small town called Marrysville.

I work for the US Navy, onboard a vessel called USS MOMSEN (DDG 92), which is a Destroyer; Currently stationed in Everett Washington.

I am 36-years old and I enjoy listening to "Old" Music (1980's), watching SCIFI/Horror/Suspense type films, I love to read and I'm enjoying my Linux experience w/ Ubuntu.

I'm using KUbuntu w/ KDE not GNOME... :)

If anyone cares, you can always find me here and on the web, but if one wants to chat, feel free to ping me via ICQ 4580576.

Krigl
February 20th, 2006, 01:14 AM
I am male, 26, studying history, "typical" humanities student - klutz, without technical savviness or interest but with a small aberation for weapons and computers. I like "humour against humanity", reading a lot of books and listening to beautiful music which for some strange reasons almost noone else likes (people are weird). Oh, and I have neither girlfriend nor any kind of pet.

Lunixfanboy
February 20th, 2006, 01:28 AM
Retired, futz with OSes, first PC was a Commodore PET, one son with his own mortgage and car payments, and I can still remember seeing the Pong consoles for sale at Sears, Roebuck for USD 200, and the arguments in Dr. Dobb's Journal about whether or not K&R C was enough or if an ANSI standard C was needed. I have a degree in Computer Information Systems but hang out on IRC or Yahoo helping out folks just getting started in *nix.

smajeon
February 20th, 2006, 01:54 AM
I'm a 28 yr old professional computer guy who lives in south Texas. I've always worked with windows and dabbled in Linux.

I've called windows XP “the greatest operating system ever made” and “Satan's best idea” - so far, I've only said great things about Ubuntu. I also really like Mac OS X, but I have a hard time imagining myself paying that much for the honor of using it.

adamb10
February 20th, 2006, 01:54 AM
17 years old in Milwaukee Wisconsin. Also use OS X and Windows.

macdo
February 20th, 2006, 01:58 AM
English teacher in France. I use Gnome and KDE both, as well as XP (compatibility issues with CAT software).

--
macdo

Harold P
February 20th, 2006, 02:02 AM
I'm a fourteen year old male, a guy who would no one would have expected to be a computer nerd.

bored2k
February 20th, 2006, 02:14 AM
19 year old systems engineering student from the Dominican Republic who jumped on the linux boat a few years ago (not many). I usually spend my time being part of a christian church, learning programming (C/C++), watching anime and of course, looking over the forums.

Kernel Sanders
February 20th, 2006, 02:21 AM
Hi i'm John! \\:D/

I'm 22 and from Wales in the United Kingdom, I love technology and learning all about it, but I cant program, and dont really have any desire to learn at this stage.

I am an avid Windows XP Pro and Office 2003 Pro fan, but I dislike the way the "Big Corporations" are taking computing these days, (Activation, Genuine Windows, DRM etc...) so at the moment I am trying to learn as much as I can about Linux and Ubuntu in particular, so that in a few years, (When my Windows XP Pro becomes "out of date") I can make the switch to Ubuntu!

I have a BScEcon (Hons) Degree in Marketing with Economics, but I am presently working in a "Directory Enquiries" Call Centre so that I can save enough money to go back to university to study Law. Eventually I hope to qualify as a Barrister.

Incidentally, part of my motivation to become a Barrister is so that I can challenge consumer and privacy/freedom laws in Europe. My aim is to get Activation and DRM declared illegal, and personal privacy and individual freedoms enshrined in European law.

I like 1980's music, dance music, ballads, and classical piano music. Lately i've been listening to nothing but classical piano music, and I cant seem to stop! I find it so inspiring and relaxing at the same time?

I'm not religious, but I am not an atheist either. I tend to believe in more scientific explanations. If there is some kind of "super-being" that created the universe then he/she/it is just another form of life just like us? Just an extreamly powerful entity? Therefore, if an entity that powerful does exist, I should respect it, but I dont believe I should worship it, no more than microbes/ants should worship us.

I live on a small farm with my parents, sister and 4 dogs, and I drive a new Toyota MR2 Roadster Convertable! :cool:

I am also thinking about writing a book on the importance of individual freedoms, an individuals right to privacy, and how the ideology of ubuntu (the concept not the OS!) should be practiced more widely in society, and the world as a whole. (Dont worry, thats not going to be the title! :D )

The only problem with that is, if I write a book like that, then it would be wholey unethical to charge people to read it wouldnt it? I should distribute it for free as a website download or something?

Well....... thats pretty much everything about me! Since my post seems to be overwhelmingly longer than everyone else's i'll shut up now! :oops:

Sp@z
February 20th, 2006, 02:46 AM
I am Bill, I am swearing that I posted here already...hmmmm I am a stay at home dad with 4 girls ranging in age 10 months to 10 years.......My life is far from boring, yet just as far from exciting. I am a gamer who has yet to get EVERYTHING to work in linux but I will in time.

super
February 20th, 2006, 02:59 AM
my name is david.

and i have a problem.

wait... this isn't AA!

anywho,
i'm a 20 year old male jamaican living in canada. i'm a pretty much a jock, but i am also a voracious reader and have an almost insane level of curiosity. which means i am interested in just about everthing. i started using linux in 1998 (...could have been 97, i don't treally remember) whn i got a free redhat disk at a computer-expo in toronto.

suziequzie
February 20th, 2006, 03:50 AM
Suzie Quzie.

I am a 33 (soon to be 34) year old female who loves computers, cartoons, comic books, roleplaying games, reading, Science Fiction, knitting, crochet, complaining about work (proofreader for an auto classified mag) and family, and taking power naps. Really love those naps...

I *once* had Mandrake 8.0 installed on my last computer, but I never really got the hang of it. I had trouble getting my sound (onboard at the time) to work, couldn't figure out how to install new programs, etc, etc... And support was hard to find. Not very new-user friendly.

I got into Kubuntu after doing research and trying the Ubuntu Live disc. But, checking out all the wicked-cool screenshots of KDE compared to Gnome, well, I chose Kubuntu. No brainer. Suzie Quzie likes eye candy. And referring to herself in the third person. :mrgreen:

Well, so far I have not been disappointed with Kubuntu. Yes, I've had to re-install about 6 times during my learning process over the past 6 months, but those were because of *my* errors, and not because of the system. I've got my re-install routine down pat now.

I love the look of KDE over Gnome, so I chose Kubuntu. \\:D/

Now, if I can only get my boyfriend to start using it. I told him I've never had Mozilla browser crash like Netscape in Windows does all the time, but there are rpg programs that we have that only run in windows, so he's probably gonna stick with that.

I've been asked by friends to do to their computers, and to their family's computers, what I've done to mine: dual boot system with Linux (I'll use Kubuntu of course) and teach them the basics. And point them to forums like this.

Ciao babies.
Suzie Quzie

suziequzie
February 20th, 2006, 03:53 AM
I'm an unemployed Ubuntu user...... I got no friends ect..

Hey Plissken! Heard you were dead!

celloandy
February 20th, 2006, 04:11 AM
My name's Andrew. I'm a 19-year-old Computer Science major from Juneau, Alaska, and currently attending the George Washington University in Washington, DC. Besides computers, I'm interested in progressive politics (particularly gay rights and environmentalism), music (playing the piano and cello, singing a bit, and listening to just about anything), and French language and culture. I also do a bit of cooking, on occasion, and am particularly passionate about desserts.

Iandefor
February 20th, 2006, 04:34 AM
Hey Plissken! Heard you were dead! Yeah... I thought he was taller.

Ahriman
February 20th, 2006, 04:47 AM
I'm 25, live in Tamworth, Australia, with my soon-to-be wife (March 25th and counting ...).
I work as a computer tech/consultant at a computer repair/consulting firm, which is pretty mad, and gives me an opportunity to "mention" to people as I fix their windows systems how much easier Ubuntu is, blah blah blah lol

I started out with Mandrake, didn't like it, although it looked mad at the time (2001 or so). Got into Slax abit, then saw Ubuntu on a CD on a PC User magazine, and haven't looked back :)

ahlich
February 20th, 2006, 04:59 AM
Im pretty much the opposite of "Susie Quzie".

suziequzie
February 20th, 2006, 06:43 AM
Im pretty much the opposite of "Susie Quzie".

Opposite in what way? All ways? ie, prefer Gnome over KDE, hates Science fiction and reading, prefers to stay awake all the time and avoids napping?

David Valentine
February 20th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Married male atheist, 46, active in politics, 1 daughter in college. I'm trying to use Linux exclusively at home and at work--as a professor of forest soils, that means data analysis and writing. I'm still looking for good data analysis software to use on Linux, so suggestions are welcome.

Klaidas
February 20th, 2006, 01:38 PM
15 years-old teenager, student \\:D/

ahlich
February 20th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Except for a few of the things you mentioned (Sci-fi, which i really enjoy in some specific condition:
$ IF author=us_citizen
THEN author=sucks
EXCEPT IF author=kurt_vonnegut)
Pretty much in most of all the rest i really am the opposite. Just happen to find it funny, and no negative intention.

- I stay awake for days and sleep for a long time afterward, actually...
- I hate napping, unless its for 20 hours, but then you can really call it that, can you?
- KDE makes me think to much of Windows which has traumatized me too deeply
- And I hate, utterlly hate computers.
- Dislike roleplaying games, knitting and dual-boots.
- My girlfriend uses Ubuntu but i did not convince her or anyone for that matter cause as mentioned i hate computers and have enough people already asking me for help and advice as it is...

Btw, i understand that you complain about proof reading.... and what exactly is the "True North"?

Stormy Eyes
February 20th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Except for a few of the things you mentioned (Sci-fi, which i really enjoy in some specific condition:
$ IF author=us_citizen
THEN author=sucks
EXCEPT IF author=kurt_vonnegut)

Well, then, I suppose I shouldn't expect you to join my fan club in ten years. :)

5-HT
February 20th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Married male atheist, 46, active in politics, 1 daughter in college. I'm trying to use Linux exclusively at home and at work--as a professor of forest soils, that means data analysis and writing. I'm still looking for good data analysis software to use on Linux, so suggestions are welcome.

Hi, I've heard that R is really nice.
Haven't used it much myself for anything mission critical as there's a bit of a learning curve and I don't have much spare time, but once you get the hang of it I hear it can be incredibly powerful.

My department uses a solaris port of SPSS on linux. Not sure how one would get their hands on that (if it's still available or the price for that matter), but it is very easy to use and can be quite flexible.

mike998
February 20th, 2006, 08:23 PM
32 year old with a girlfriend and a boy of 19 months.
I live in Ottawa, Canada and work for a company as a remote trainer.

I use Linux exclusively at home (as does my girlfriend) and have to use windows at work because of some apps that are exclusive to windows.

suziequzie
February 21st, 2006, 12:22 AM
Btw, i understand that you complain about proof reading.... and what exactly is the "True North"?

It's Canada. It's a line from our anthem.

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!

The proofreading wouldn't be so bad if it was, say, in an industry that employed professional writers. What I do is proofread classified advertisements and display ads from people who can barely spell the make and model of their vehicle, or think that "Green" is a model extension. A sales rep once saw me reading one of her ads, and she said "Oh, do you read *every* line?"

So... tempting... to give snarky comeback...

Working there makes me realize just how functionally illiterate our society is becoming. It's frightening: we have standardized education that is constantly being tweaked and dumbed down. The basic foundations no longer matter to our school boards, but they're needed now more than ever.

Oh, you mentioned that you disliked US Science Fiction authors. My favourite author is not American, he's British. John Brunner. I read "Stand On Zanzibar" and "The Sheep Look Up" at least every two years.

vertigo
February 21st, 2006, 03:23 AM
30yr old male from the UK, married one dog one cat no children. love of reading and cult movies, music and art. Trying to get back into the IT job market after several years out.

TeeAhr1
February 21st, 2006, 05:52 PM
Mid-twenties male, from rural Minnesota, currently living in south Minneapolis. Half a college education, currently working as a printer for an architect to pay off my student loans, so I can go back and go further into debt, because that's the American way :???:

christhemonkey
February 21st, 2006, 05:55 PM
Late teens, A level student UK. Too much free time!

DigitalDuality
February 21st, 2006, 05:59 PM
24 years old (well for a month longer anyways), and i'm a systems admin for 4 small insurance agencies.. and 1 of 2 employees in a tech in a tech startup (kinda like a geeks on call that can do server work for small/medium business, build websites, etc, etc).

I'm a politics nut and a news junky. I spend more time online than i should by far. I live in Richmond, Virginia..and live in an apartment with my sister.

I lsiten to all kinds of music.. but lean more towards socially conscious hip hop, shock rock, and metal. I'm really artsy fartsy with my movie tastes so i won't even go into it.. and read about a book a month.. mostly classic lit, cult lit, and philosophy books.

if you want to know more... www.myspace.com/DigitalDuality

Minyaliel
February 21st, 2006, 06:14 PM
Hiya everyone :) Well... I'm an 18 year old musician studying to become a professional opera singer (I've been on operatic stages for the last two years now, but I'm also doing jazz for the fun of it). I live and breathe music, it's the one thing that means more to me than anything (even life itself, as contradictive as it sounds). I'm not only a singer, though, I'm also a flutist, pianist, whistler (tin whistle and otherwise), composer, songwriter, poet and writer in general, web designer and obsessed with drawing and computer graphics (mainly web graphics and pixelwork). Artsy person, in other words. Oh, and I own more web sites, portals and forums than I can remember. *laughs*. People call me a geek because I use Linux and can fix most Windows problems with a wave of my wand... even though I'm female. (Most people are amazed at this). When it comes to music, I'm rather into old- school gothic music (Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy etc) and darkwave, but can listen to anything, really, as long as it isn't hiphop, techno, rap or something similar (sorry people, can't stand it).

slazh
February 21st, 2006, 06:15 PM
20 years old, student Informatica in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
Rock / metal music, although I like some lounge music now and then. Movie tastes; sci-fi, horror, thrillers. Favo thing to do is checking out bands at festivals or concerts.

Still live at home, and no real needs to move out. Like it here with my parents and my 18 year old sister. Oh and 2 cats :)

I'm a 100% ubuntu user on my desktop since my school doesn't really require any Windows only applications. Except maybe MS Visio, but Dia will do just fine.

C J Pro
February 21st, 2006, 08:58 PM
My name is Colton and I am 14. I am from western Pennsylvania and am a Film Orchestral Composer. Unfortunately, all my software is windows based so I'm kind of stuck >_<

-Rick-
February 21st, 2006, 10:29 PM
Male, 20 years, from The Netherlands(Zuid Holland), studying chemistry.
I'm addicted to trance, like *nix and programming.

nothingfun
February 26th, 2006, 06:49 PM
I'm a 21 year old female from Michigan, US. I currently work a full time job answering phones and doing web-app design for a local company, but am trying to go into a photography career. I travel abroad often and hope to do so more; enjoy cooking; study eastern philosophy; and my most recent hobby is handwriting letters to people (using the postal system to send them - i know - old school!).

varun
February 26th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Male, 19 years old Engineering student from New Delhi, India. Like listening to heavy metal and playing soccer and programming

mostwanted
February 26th, 2006, 07:28 PM
I'm a 17 year old Dane living in a small town near the city of Helsingør/Elsinore and Kronborg castle (where the Hamlet dude from Shakespeare is from) in Denmark. I live 1-2 km from the coast where it "borders" Sweden. My family is spread all over Europe (and the world), but most of them live in England.

Right now I'm studying at the Gymnasium in Espergærde on the mathematical line. I play the guitar and I'm learning how to play the harmonica as well (self-teaching). I'm an atheist, political standpoint is social-liberal... everyone is a bit social in Scandinavia, but I'm very liberal as well.

I have been using Ubuntu since Warty. I had a Mandrake install before that, but I never really used it. I'm using Ubuntu pretty much full-time now.

Rita
February 26th, 2006, 08:11 PM
I'm a 42 yr old female living in Devon UK. Had my own business in the past, now a housewife, enjoy linux and this forum and anything sci fi.

Alpha_toxic
February 26th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Male, 20y, born in Dobrich, Bulgaria. Currently living in Sofia (Bulgaria's capital) cause my univesity is here. I'm second year studying informatics.
Music: Classic Rock/Metal, sometimes I relax on Mike Oldfield, Enigma, Vangelis or some smooth jazz.
Movies: Lets just say that in general the mainstream Hollywood movies don't attract me... They lack original concept I'd say.
I went through several other distros (Fedora 3 was the one that lasted most) before I settled with Ubuntu and for now I won't be leaving :)

Dylan103
March 2nd, 2006, 01:09 AM
13 year old male(lol young I know) uhhh grade 8=/ canada alberta edmonton. like Harold said, youwouldn't think I'm a computer "nerd"

Swiss
March 3rd, 2006, 09:13 PM
14yr old Male...

I work for and own "Revolution Studios" Logo and Graphics Works.
Started with Linux two months ago and have been hooked ever since! :rolleyes:

John.Michael.Kane
March 3rd, 2006, 09:18 PM
Hey Plissken! Heard you were dead!

Hello to you aswell......

zzz@tkz
March 3rd, 2006, 09:32 PM
I'm some random 15 (16 in May, yay.) year old kid living in a town with less than 200 people. People think I'm a hacker because I know how to use Window's safe mode to create accounts, and because I know how to program :P.

I'm a 3D game designer, 3D artist, 2D artist, general web scripting, and flash.

Ubunted
March 3rd, 2006, 09:33 PM
23, work tech support at an ISP and hope to someday start a little shop of my own where I will clean spyware and install Ubuntu all day.

baysteve
March 6th, 2006, 11:06 AM
21, full time security auditor for major corporation (think x86 pioneers) Normally use Linux for work in a structured way..recently installed Ubuntu on my Dell. I'm into Chevy Muscle cars of the 60's and 70's era..I have a little collection of cars going on as well.

What attracted me to Ubuntu was it's simple installation and support of all my hardware..and the fact it is geared to all levels of skill..I would consider myself an "average" user when it comes to Linux knowledge..Where I work, CISCO and BSD are their bread and butter. I recently had FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE and it didn't support diddly squat on my laptop..(took me a week to find and hack the wireless port) By no means do I consider myself a zealot..I have an open mind to all distro's..It is very warming to see all the helpful posts, and too see that you guys put up with all the sudo haters! (Another reason why I went with Ubuntu) I look forward to gaining significant knowledge of this distro and take comfort in the fact there is such a great community here to help me.

commodore
March 6th, 2006, 01:35 PM
I'm a 14 (15 this month) year old male living in a small town with only 6000 people. I basically have no friends because there's no people sharing my interests in here. I like loads of art. I do it with computer mainly. My absolute favourite currently is design although I can't do it very well.

lovebyte
March 6th, 2006, 02:02 PM
39 year old from France. Research scientist in bioinformatics. I have been enjoying Unix machines since the early 90's and Linux since the late 90's. I use exclusively Linux (and now Ubuntu) at home since 2001. Fedora and Tru64 at work. My wife prefers Apple, but sometimes uses our Ubuntu linux living room entertainment box which contains all our music collection. Close to 300 ripped CDs available via AmaroK!

stig
March 6th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Who am I? At 59, Possibly the oldest person in the world using Ubuntu, judging from the preceding posts (I looked at only the first and last few pages, so correct me if I'm wrong).

My wife and I live and work from home in a village in the south of England. I'm trying to shift our small home publishing business from Windows to Ubuntu.

Could I be the only Ubuntu user who lists birdwatching as more interesting than computers? And I love history because there's soooo much to learn about the world!

IYY
March 6th, 2006, 05:55 PM
I'm a Canadian 19 year old computer sicence student, studying at York University. I'm originally from Belarus/Israel. I'm a guitar player, and often write songs (usually only lyrics, though. I get more talented people to compose). I read a lot, and enjoy outdoor activities like camping, hiking and kayaking.

I've been using Linux/BSD for over a year, and I love it. It's very interesting to see the demographics of different operating systems. Ubuntu users are awesome. \\:D/

palomar
March 6th, 2006, 06:16 PM
I'm 24 years old, male, from The Netherlands. I'm studying Information Science/Humanities Computing.

Since about 5-6 years I'm experimenting with Linux. I've tried approximately all Linux distro's ;) but everytime after a few weeks I quit playing with it because 'something' didn't work or I just couldn't get used to it.. Since about a year I'm more serious in using Linux. I've learned a lot and most of the troubles I experience can be solved by myself. For now I'm still using dualboot, but on my laptop and my second PC i'm using Ubuntu full-time. Only at my 'main'-computer I keep running winXP mostly, because of some incompatible apps (mostly games).

woedend
March 6th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Hi all. My name is alex, will be 21 soon and in college. Got into linux about a year ago when I couldn't put windows back on because I did not have a disk and the hard drive was wiped. Ubuntu was the first I tried, tried many others, in fact probably almost every other, and this is back where I ended up. Fedora as a close second though, but its gotten so slow. I'm 6'5 and into boxing and basketball. I have been around here a lot lately, and recently heard of and diagnosed myself with seasonal depression. The winter months get me so down and bored I spend a lot of time here. Hopefully won't see me much in the summer :) I keep the picture in my avatar as a reminder how happy i will be and much better things will be when it warms up and I can waste my hours in the sun playing basketball again :). Love the community, take care fellas.

tikal26
March 6th, 2006, 07:00 PM
arch student. curerntly use ubuntu for graphics.

Sonique
March 6th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Just 16 in the UK, been dipping in and out of ubuntu over the last year, currently do not have it installed as I don't want to mess my computer (again!) with all my coursework on it, but come july i will have dapper as my primary os and bye bye windows (again since ive said goodbye to it soooo many times). I do have a small laptop with damn small linux on it (which i love).

I study a lot of subjects as the moment but next year I will drop most and study physics, chemistry, biology and information technology for a-level to go on study medicine to become a surgeon :D

I do web designing for a bit of cash, i also make random games and animations on flash (i make good ones not the crappy ones i see ppl make in my school). I work in a chinese restaurant which is great as ive eaten so much chow mein! I row every sunday with my other friend who uses ubuntu.

Tatey
March 7th, 2006, 05:18 AM
19yr old Male, I'm a full time Commerce (Business) student at University. I live in Brisbane, Australia and recently switched from Gentoo to Ubuntu (This is my 2nd post!). I enjoy listening to Metal (Swedish bands such as In Flames) and ride a motorbike (http://www.tatey.com/gallery/file/yamahafzx250/100_0302.jpg). I have a strong passion for web design through standards.

baysteve
March 7th, 2006, 11:05 AM
man its so awesome to see ubuntu being used worldwide, by all demographics!

el_ricardo
March 7th, 2006, 12:34 PM
hi, i'm 18 years old, male, currently studying product design at uni in leicester, england (switching to graphics and illustration design in september cos product design is crap- don't do it) i'm using ubuntu mainly because i fully support opensource projects, i think its stupid how you should pay through the nose for a windows operating system that is basically a gateway to unwanted advertising, viruses and expensive "essential" upgrades. i chose ubuntu as opposed to other distros because it looks and feels "friendly", once its all set up properly its much easier to use and keep up to date than windows, and its far nicer to look at!

but yeah about myself - i listen mainly to hardcore and post hardcore metal, a little emo (good emo, none of this "my chemical romance" bollocks) and drum n bass, but i'll happily listen to most other genres of music, as long as it sounds good, i'm happy! I snowboard, ski, watch rugby and i enjoy painting

stoeptegel
March 7th, 2006, 12:49 PM
I have a strong passion for web design through standards.

WT*, that is a very nice website you have there! :D (can you learn me that? ;) )
Nice bike too, my style totally.

I'am a 24 year old male from the Netherlands, i've studied for maritime officer but got a burn-out in the end and didn't finish it. Now i have some troubles living my life and am trying to use linux to give me peace, freedom and some standard knowledge about computing before it's too late with DRM and that kind of forced non-rights.

InfoTech
March 7th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Hi, 30/M, Montenegro, on Masters studies in IT. Work for the UN here in Montenegro, system admin. In office, very involved with WinXP and Novell NetWare. At home, Ubuntu user. And, at this point, thinking of doing either of the following two:
- Starting my own bussines offering Linux support
- Emigrating somewhere else... preferably Ireland :)

songo
March 7th, 2006, 05:05 PM
<---- cape verde flag
i'm 25, cape-verdean (small islands near senegal. can't find them? they should apear if you get a more accurate map :mrgreen:
now i'm in portugal studying, hopefully i'll finish my electronic and telecom 5 year graduation this year and i use kubuntu on my project in java, for web stuffs and fun.
i love music, reggae above all and the sound of a bass guitar

songo
March 7th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Am I the only Maltese user on the forum?

that's what i'm trying to find out too. so i put a flag on my avatar
;)

Bolverk
March 7th, 2006, 08:02 PM
I'm 33 and changing careers. I'm a former network & sysadmin and I'm currently halfway through law school (2nd semester, 2nd year). I use* OpenOffice for notes & exams and Firefox for Westlaw & Lexis (tabbed browsing makes research easy).

*(I originally mistyped "use" as "sue." How's that for a Freudian slip?)

Bandit
March 7th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Ubuntu users! Who are you?
I AM YOUR GOD!!!! MUHAHAHA!!!!!! :twisted:

startx
March 7th, 2006, 10:13 PM
I'm a Computer Technician in sunny San Diego California. I'm addicted to mods, hacks, tweaks, bleading edge stuff. I use linux for:

CPU1-Firewall and Content Filtering, CPU2 Ubuntu-Samba Server, CPU3 Ubuntu-for mods, hacks, tweaks, bleading edge stuff
I'm currently playing with Xgl and Compiz. Eyecandy is so cool!

Koobi
March 8th, 2006, 12:17 PM
24 year old male who's shorter than a martian but who has this illusion that i'm the next Steve Francis :/

i'm a half-time college student, half-time LAMP based web developer. so 99% of my time is spent on Linux. the 1% i spend on windows is usually to do with gaming.

i also sell snow to the eskimo's during my free time.

Lucho
March 8th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Ok, been lurking for months here, it's time for the first post.
Good ol'boy from Texas, 36, living for the last ten years in Latin America.
Currently living Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Working as a freelance professor in
languages and Sociology, that is I teach English, Spanish, and Durkheim.
I'm a mercenary and loving it. :cool:
When not working, I'm into photography, beach sports- running, swimming,
socce, football (American football in the sand: priceless \\:D/ ). Not a geek,
but I've always been an incorrigable shadetree mechanic, so linux fits me like a glove.
Last thing: Brazil is the place to be for linux users. I used to triple-boot- XPpro,
Debian 3.1 Etch, and Breezy 64, but XPpro crapped out (again) and I never
reinstalled it. As good as Ubuntu is (VERY good), I still tend to prefer pure Debian.
Otherwise, If you like Ubuntu, ya'll love some of the brazilian distros, esp.
kurumin and Kalango. That last one is easily the equal of ubuntu, and edges it
out in performance and appearance.

confused57
March 12th, 2006, 06:38 AM
Just found this thread, great idea. I'm 58, retired, obtained advanced degree in Molecular Genetica/Biochemistry eons ago; but ended up working for 27 years making beer(it was quite a sacrifice being an expert taste tester), last few years worked for SAB.
After retiring, thought I'd expand my interests, built my own computer(1st one);
installed WinXP($100) on it. Thought I'd give linux a try and found Ubuntu in December; and love it, wish I had known about it before I shelled out $100.
I'm married and my wife supports my computer interests, I envy the young folks getting started with Linux, definitely great things to come with Ubuntu.
Whoops, time to go play golf; I can explore Ubuntu later

cnbiz850
March 12th, 2006, 06:58 AM
42 year-old with considerable CS background, living in China, self-employed in the financial industry.

MrDan
March 12th, 2006, 08:52 AM
34 yr old married 4 kids (two girls and two boys) I am an alarm Technician (fire/Lifesafety tech) Online pilot shop owner and occasionally as I can afford it I take lessons working on Private pilot certification. Oh and working on being an ex-windows buff.;-)

Danni
March 12th, 2006, 09:36 AM
19 year old female IT student, and mammy.

Want to become an IT technician, but am the only female on my course. Decided to use Linux after realising most of the stuff I used was open source, and decided on Ubuntu, as I had discs lying around :)

Decided I didn't like Gnome, and installed the Kubuntu Desktop, and haven't looked back (even got Samba working :)).

Went to my first LUG yesterday and it was fantastic :) My daughter (age 2) loves Planet Penguin Racer, and is going to be brought up on Linux :)

anil_robo
March 13th, 2006, 09:32 AM
My name is Anil Kumar. I'm from India, now in Texas (USA) for Masters in Public Health. I like listening to music (new age and instrumental) and playing RPG like Diablo. Though I have a physician background, I can do "several things" with computers too! :rolleyes:

I support Ubuntu because I know the meaning and importance of freedom. I am using Ubuntu for most of my productive work, and Ubuntu can do everything I want except gaming and voice/video chat.

Though I'm not a tech person, I have contributed to Ubuntu by writing several how-to's in these forums, supplying some marketing ideas to the Ubuntu creators, assisted in translation, creating some polls, and converting a couple of ******* users to Ubuntu.

clemcat
March 13th, 2006, 10:33 AM
27 Year old male working on my Network Technology degree. I am using Linux because I am way into tweaking my computers to do EXACTLY what I want them to do and MS does not support that well. I also started to use Linux in the hopes of giving one of ,my old laptops a new lease on life.

EdThaSlayer
June 22nd, 2006, 07:52 PM
Iam just a 16 year old Otaku...that programs in Python and HATES windows...yep...especially after getting the blue screen of death 24/7. Linux is awesome, and i support Open Source!

Biltong (Dee)
June 22nd, 2006, 08:09 PM
I am a female, in my 40's, and sell Zebra Skins for a living.
I kid you not! My company also sells Springbok, Impala, Kudu... well any skin you like - as long as it is legally culled.
We also, being African based, sell everything else African as well, including tribal masks and Buffalo Horn jewellery.

ajifans
June 22nd, 2006, 08:18 PM
I'm a male 26 year old forensic accountant living in Wolverhampton in the UK.

I bought a Mac because I thought they were sweet; Mac OS made me realise that Windows was pretty awful.

My Mac got nicked, so I decided to give Linux ago and never looked back.

Somenoob
June 22nd, 2006, 09:10 PM
17 year old male

I like potato chips

B0rsuk
June 22nd, 2006, 09:13 PM
I'm an eurasian badger (meles meles).

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Meles_meles.html

facefur
June 22nd, 2006, 09:22 PM
60 yr old engineer, getting ready to retire. I just like the ability to work in other than a Windows environment.

bruce89
June 22nd, 2006, 09:49 PM
I'm just me.

fuscia
June 22nd, 2006, 09:54 PM
I'm just me.

hey, me too!

Mr Wrath
June 22nd, 2006, 09:57 PM
26/m/IT & AutoCAD Manager using Debian & Ubuntu for servers...I do have to use Windows for the CAD programs that we use. Stunting sportbikes, flying, paintball, and gaming are my time killers.

Mr Wrath
June 22nd, 2006, 09:58 PM
--->flying planes---not drugs.

philipgm
June 22nd, 2006, 10:26 PM
I am a uk based teacher of physics. I used to work in the IT industry and I want to encourage as many educationalists as possible to consider working with open source software which offers cost effective solutions for many of my colleagues.

Corporate propaganda needs someone to argue against it and high school teachers should be in the front line.

djsroknrol
June 23rd, 2006, 01:10 AM
Hi..my name's bob, I'm a 50Yr. old male from Lake Havasu City, Arizona (home of the world famous London Bridge..great plug, huh?) Married, 5 children, I work in the marine pleasurecraft industry as a cost analyst for a boat manufacturing company. I also do part time IT and and repair for a computer repair company in town...I'm the company *nix "expert" :)

I enjoy working with and being around anything that has to do with computers. My other joys in life are my family and friends, camping and model railroading. you can check my world out here (http://geocities.com/luvadj/index.html)

djsroknrol
June 23rd, 2006, 01:14 AM
sorry about that...bad link..this (http://geocities.com/luvadj)one should work

Vidar
June 23rd, 2006, 01:22 AM
Well, Im a 21 yeard old game developer/graphic artist living in Stockholm, Sweden, with my girlfriend.

joe_lace
June 23rd, 2006, 01:22 AM
I am Joe Lace. I am a student of technology at Charter College in Anchorage Alaska. I have an Associate of Applied Science in Computer Science: Concentration in Networking Technology. I am also a husband and a father.

Xzallion
June 23rd, 2006, 01:57 AM
I'm 18, Male, live in Springfield Missouri USA. and got into linux about 2 years ago. A friend told me about it and got me looking around in google. When summer came, I downloaded and tried Fedora Core (since he suggested it). I liked the Desktop environment (Gnome) but hated not having any sound. I spent about two months on the Fedora Forums trying to get it fixed, and the people helping me finally gave up and told me to buy a soundcard instead of using the onboard sound.

Then I changed over to Mandriva for a little while because they appeared alot in a google search. I like Mandriva, had sound working, but managed to mess it up and wanted to experiment and find something a little less power-user oriented and more for someone new to linux. Then I played around with Knoppix and DSL, and finally arrived at Ubuntu back at the 5.04 stage (was that hoary or warty?) Been using Ubuntu ever since, but I would like to play with Gentoo some.

Im attending college for a AAS in computer information technology, and have no real idea what exactly I want to do. I want to get into the video game industry, but im not sure if I want to do programming, art, scripts, or any of the other bajillion things that make up that field. Untill then im playing with Linux because I love being able to do everything and not worrying about messing it up. I dual boot Windows XP for gaming, to use my scanner (Visioneer OneTouch 8900 USB, not supported by XSANE) and the occasional webcam chat with my friends that moved away for college.

Also I'm trying to learn more Java and C++ so I can start helping game projects for linux. For anything else, check out my myspace (http://www.myspace.com/xzallion)...

adam.tropics
June 23rd, 2006, 04:11 AM
34 year old Brit now living in Australia (past 5 years or so). Have computer science BSc from the UK but through life's very very strange twists and turns have ended up, at least for now being a plasterer in far north tropical Australia....go figure!!

I purchased a new laptop about 18 months ago, and never once managed to keep xp running without crashing, so came back to linux, as I had been using redhat back in the stone age, and came, and remained with Ubuntu because the forums/community here are IMHO phenominal.

I am trying now to get back some of the neglected programming skills of past years, and it's gonna take a while! I started with Pascal, then Java, Perl and Lisp, but (and this I think is the problem with most cs degrees these days) took none of them quite far enough to be of much real use. Anyway, that be me!

ProjectGod
June 23rd, 2006, 04:30 AM
i'm someone who has come around full circle... i'm 21, a IT technician and an aspiring musician. i will be releasing a book before releasing my compositions... titled "symphonies of the mind"... it deals with the newly created composition technique i've REdiscovered that involves the SIT system or "self induced trance"... its where you concentrate to a point whereby you are able to become one with whatever instrument you are playing... resulting in the unique musical replication of what ever one is feeling or thinking. innate techniques that bach, beethoven and chopin have used naturally.

besides this i just wanted to test html manipulation! drat! it didnt work... size can't be smaller than 1 thought it could go to the negatives:D

NewDisciple
June 23rd, 2006, 05:35 AM
55 year old male, retired military/law enforcement. Numerous children and grandchildren. Spend my time filling several roles at my church, do volunteer work at a local men's mission; and my wife and computer get the rest. Only got my first computer less than two years ago. Self taught and am now on my second computer using Dapper 6.06. It sure has been a great ride. Can't compete with all of these young guys, but that's not the point of it all.

Rhapsody
June 23rd, 2006, 03:21 PM
20 year old English female. Been using computers since 1996 when I got a 486 DX2/66Mhz with 4MB RAM and Windows for Workgroups 3.11 installed. I soon upgraded to Windows 95 (after getting an extra 4MB RAM first), but the PC was never really stable, and alternated a lot between the two operating systems. By the time I got rid of it in 1999 (now with 16MB RAM), I was resigned to using WfWG 3.11 on it.

At that time, I got a brand-new Pentium III 450Mhz with 128MB RAM, an nVidia Riva TNT, and Windows 98 on it. It was a reasonable PC, I did a lot of things on it like first getting internet access, and discovering emulation. I also got back into game consoles (which I had abandoned shortly before getting my first PC) and got Sky TV during the time of this PC, reducing my usage somewhat. The only upgrades were a new HD to replace one which crashed, and a GeForce2 MX to handle the newer games.

The second PC didn't really last long though, and 2002 saw me get my current PC. It's an AMD Athlon XP 2100+ with 512MB RAM and an ATI Radeon 8500LE (now a GeForce4 MX4000 since the ATI died on me). It originally had Windows XP Home and Windows 98 dual-booting, but I killed off Windows 98 after a long period of non-usage.

This PC also saw the introduction of first Freeserve Anytime (meaning flat-rate dial-up access) and later broadband (which really has been good). I've got a new 250GB HD just to handle all the stuff I envitably end up with as the result of broadband speeds.

This is also the PC that saw me start using Ubuntu. As a condensed version of the story, I was fearful of the 'Next-Generation Secure Computing Base' that Microsoft wanted to implement. I saw the prospect of it being in Windows Vista (which was later proven false, but whatever) and decided to make my move against that now, by switching to GNU/Linux. I know that Steve Ballmer will not be able to sleep soundly at night knowing that Windows contains anything less than a totalitarian style of digital rights management though, which is going to keep me right here.

As for myself, I'm generally considered a rather introverted she-nerd, interested mostly in PCs and game consoles (I'm certainly looking forward to the Wii, less so for the PS3). I'm working on getting back in college after a long absence, but that's going slowly right now. I'd like to find myself a nice job in IT product development at some point, but that's a fair way off now.

masterjonny
June 23rd, 2006, 04:45 PM
16 year old english kid trying to ditch Windows. Only really dabbled in Linux before but now I discovered the wonders of WineX I can see me needing Windows less and less...

bruce89
June 23rd, 2006, 04:46 PM
Not that anyone cares, but a 16 year old from <-, installed it for a laugh, and liked it.

hard_i
June 23rd, 2006, 04:54 PM
/me is 19 year old ( 20 in 10 days), living in Estonia and been using ubuntu since the first release.

c1ean
June 23rd, 2006, 05:08 PM
18 yr old college student. Heard so many good things about Ubuntu, and had so many bad experiences with Windows, that I decided to switch. Still don't really know what I'm doing yet though :)

zluka
June 26th, 2006, 08:34 AM
27 yrs old math. engineer from turkey. living in moscow, working as a sys admin. trying to implement ubuntu into an active directory network ;)

and a full time ubuntu user at home (since dapper).

slimdog360
June 26th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Im 20 years old and from australia. Currently studying to be an electrical engineer.

drfalkor
June 26th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Name: Øyvind, From Norway,.. 18years old, and I need a life :p

Dragonbite
June 26th, 2006, 01:54 PM
35 yr old male, married with (3) children in Connecticut (USA). While the kids can easily figure out whatever computer I put in front of them, I have to use windows for my wife at this time. First attempt to convert has failed but with lessons learned, I will try again!!

I work as a developer for a small financial company when I'm not planning a coup to switch this Windows-based office to Linux and see if anybody notices ;)

Oh, and I fence (with a sword.. Epee to be specific), help a friend with his sword-selling website (Strongblade.com (http://www.strongblade.com)), do table-top role-playing games (actually, haven't in a while), raising the kids and attending meetings for the [URL="http://www.dacs.org"]Danbury Area Computer Socitety[/URLand the Linux special interest group (SIG).

Pretty boring, ain't it?

lazyd2
June 26th, 2006, 01:58 PM
male, 29 years old mechanical engineer from Greece.

nuvo
June 26th, 2006, 02:20 PM
I'm male, 21 on Wednesday, born and raised in Leeds, Northern England (though I'm actually dula nationality since my dad was born in Australia to British parents and came back when he was 4).
I've been using Linux full time since February this year and using RPM based distro's on and off for 2 years or so.
I used to program a fair bit in Delphi, XHTML, CSS and PHP under Windows XP, but since moving to Ubuntu, I'm doing more web dev and writing for developer communities.
I've also started to pick up Ruby on Rails, which seems to be pretty nice (it's nice to instantly have some flexibility that you'd spend an hour implementing with PHP).
I started programming with QBasic and it's clones on a 486 with a broken battery (needing me to set the clock on each boot, kind of like an Xbox... Oh how times change).
I used to work for a small computer trade company that required that I traveled to Manchester on Saturdays (getting up at 5AM) and anywhere in Britain on Sundays (well, not Ireland, but could include Wales and Scotland if needed) while I was at college.
I've done some web design, but my payment was in the for of hosting and a domain and I have been asked to do other jobs which have, sadly, fallen through.
I'm a gamer and own both xbox consoles, a PS2 and a PSP at the moment, but I've had almost everything released in the UK since the NES (and some before it) other than a Saturn.

Reb
June 26th, 2006, 10:37 PM
19 yr biochemistry/math student... ive been using ubuntu since warty and i work in a cancer research lab over the summer doing whatever im told by my betters.

Koori23
June 26th, 2006, 11:30 PM
My name is Eric. I'm 24 and live in Fort Wayne Indiana. I'm a Supply Chain Manager for a medium sized company in the city. Work stresses me out so I spend most of my weekends driving Formula Ford's around the Midwest. I seldom spend more than 2 hours at my computer at home, but Ubuntu has facinated me since April. I spend most of my time at the bars, and messing around on my CBR.

RavenOfOdin
June 27th, 2006, 02:09 AM
I'm a 26 year old guy currently residing in Little Rock, Arkansas. I play with my 3 year old Siberian husky and watch old movies when I'm not dealing with computer-related issues.

I'm studying for an A.A. in Comp Sci, and I hope to minor in Information Security if whatever uni I attend has that on their curriculum. Been programming for about 8 or so years (C,C++,Assembler in passing) and I'm working on two open source projects.

nkolas20gr
June 27th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Hello to everyone!I'm Nick from Athens,Greece.I'm 22 and i've been using ubuntu for a almost a year.I work as a car mechaning in a tuning shop near my house.I'm very glad that i through away windows and Gates "monarchy"!
My best friend convinced me to switch into linux although @ first i had many fears about it but i got it installed in my pc i gone completely wicked with it!!My greatest wish for linux is...well they 're actually 2!
1. Linux all around the world and no windows existance :twisted:
2. One day,when i learn enough about linux,i hope to make my own distribution!

tminton
June 27th, 2006, 04:44 PM
I'm Tom. I'm 51 and a married Christian. My bride and I have 8 children who were or are being homeshooled and we live just north of North Carolina's Research Triangle Park area. (the home of RedHat ;) )

While I make my living as a Windows engineer (for now) I use Ubuntu almost exclusively on my home network and am working to build my skillset as a Linux enginner. I'm also a deacon in our church and the IT manager, and am planning to migrate the church's systems to Ubuntu as I've become convinced that is the path we should go for a multitude of reasons, including that of being called to be good stewards.

See ya soon! :-D

Katin Crawford
June 27th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Jean. 23 female from Denver, CO.

engineering student working at a bank.

use windows at work, ubuntu at home. have been playing with different linux distributions for almost 7 years. finally let go of windows two years ago when i didnt have enough time for games.

Breezy Badger
June 27th, 2006, 11:45 PM
25 Year old male from Canada. University student. Slowly learning Linux and waiting for the day I can shitcan windows.

Donshyoku
June 28th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Nineteen year old student. I am an English major at Indiana University and Creative Writing minor. I hope to someday become a published author and have worked towards that with 2 novels and 1 short story. I have self-published my first novel online, and hope it will give me some sort of bearing on how to operate in the writing world.

diablozx9
June 28th, 2006, 03:17 AM
41 male
Canada
IT worker for 20 years

-deadcats
June 28th, 2006, 03:32 AM
54 (well, in 9 more days), male, working for the City & Borough of Juneau, the capitol city of Alaska. Real estate appraiser by day, geek by night. Wife is a Windows applications developer, a M(icro)ISV. I love the freedom that Linux gives me. :)

Regards,
-dc

The Raven
June 28th, 2006, 03:37 AM
Robb
Dig IT for the thrill of design and solving problems. I like Graphic Design
for the same reasons. A dude programming a database on an Amiga 500 is what got me hooked on programming way back in the '90s.

Digital Communications: lan-line, omni-directional mobile subscriber, network installation/operations and support; later on I advanced into Planning and Management. Prior to my exposure to digital equipment I was an AM/FM high powered modulated radio and teletype communications assembly installation, operator and support technician. Doublet antennas, yummy! You can adjust a frequency by changing the length of a wire antenna...not too cool, hunh?

Did you know that trees and vegetation actually create noise that interfere with radio carrier waves. It was fun in a lot of ways, but the areas that were dry was like licking dusty sandpaper.

I got jumped by nerds.
Hey, it was dark and I couldn't see them.

Man am I boring!](*,)

p.s. - You all are full of beans!

carl13
June 28th, 2006, 05:14 AM
My name is Carl. I live in US, currently in the south. I am the director of an adolescent treatment program. I have both a bachelors and graduate degree. I have a lot of interests but currently my main interest is health- mostly diet and exercise. This has also spurred some interest in cooking. I also really like to play basketball. I like to mess with my pc but never seem to have much time to devote to learning. I have taken some programming and web design classes but have not had time to keep up with learning since completing them. I am starting to learn CSS (my web design class did not cover them.?). I really like Linux even though I am a noob and will probably forever remain one. My main goal at this point is to be able to sync my palm with jpilot or evolution.

michael1977
June 28th, 2006, 05:41 AM
Hey there I am a 29 year old man. I live with my partner (who loves windows lol ugh) in California. I am a social worker (one of the few that knows how to use a computer) and work with children and adults with developmental dissabilities. I started using Ubuntu last year wrote my thesis and created the presentation on Ubuntu.

Raistlin355
June 28th, 2006, 04:07 PM
I am a 25 year old male, from the St. Louis area. I currently am a traffic study technician. In my spare time I mess around with linux and Ubuntu and am currently in the process of switching all my computers over to Ubuntu. Then I'll move on to my friends and family. Then my neighbors. Then my office. Then the world!!!!!! (maniacal laughter)

fridayxiii
June 28th, 2006, 05:42 PM
I posted my reply in the other (similar) "getting to know you" thread, but thought I'd move it here...

I'm a 36 year old male of the Ubuntu species, living in south-central (Virginia that is ). I migrated here from Charotte, NC, and there from Tampa Bay, FL, and there from Chicago, IL....
I'm engaged to be married to a dynamite redhead, step-father to two boys (ages 13 & 11), and owner of 5 dogs (four Shih Tzu's, one mixed breed). For work I'm the systems administrator in the Project Management Office of an aftermarket auto parts retail company. My next car will be a Mini Cooper S (w/JCW kit) ragtop. =D>

I've been using Ubuntu for < 1 month but totally love it & am trying to resist the urge to install it on my work-issued laptop. :mrgreen: Outside of work I spend time learning Ubuntu, listening to Oasis, reading, watching Formula One autoracing, playing w/the dogs, and enjoying the dwindling public approval ratings of the Republican gov't. (whoops, did I say that out loud?! :twisted: )

ELD
June 28th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Hi everyone,

My name is Liam Dawe i am 17 (18 july30th, so soon) and i have just finished another year of college and am now attempting to get a job and move out.

Currently on Ubuntu Dapper, although used breezy before it.
Been using linux on and off for 2-3 years now :)

dimatrod
June 29th, 2006, 05:52 AM
Hello!

I'm Diego Matamoros and I live in a little town called Moravia which is in the province of San Jose, Costa Rica. I'm 15 years old and been using Ubuntu for around 2 months already. I'm at a high school called Lincoln School (which has the worst IT dep ever, which had XP corp bought and then by influence of some *** they changed to a pirated copy of 2k, but next year I'll earn community service by switching 'em all to Ubuntu for security purposes). I play guitar in a band (Liquid Tension kind of prog rock) and Audacity has been a complete marvel for me, but I need a port of Sony Acid Pro 6 (bought so I might have to discover how to run it in wine) so that I can add certain instruments we lack. I live my life playing football (soccer for you guys in the U.S), fixing my xbox (which for some reason I never get XBMC right) writing tunes, and playing around with Ubuntu (this from 2 weeks back).

user1397
June 29th, 2006, 07:19 AM
im just a 15 year old freshman in high school trying to learn the ways of linux....

shootdamonkey
June 29th, 2006, 11:13 AM
I'm Gaz
18 years old
main interests include: Guitar, Drums, Computers
skills include: html/css knowledge, and good computer knowledge (hopefully gonna be some linux knowledge as well lol)

http://www.gazneale.com

Onyros
June 29th, 2006, 01:06 PM
My name is Ricardo, I am 28 and married (since the 22nd January 2006), still no kids but planning on having and currently practicing :P

I quit my job as an advertising copywriter last April, and have since then started working from home, working on translations, copywriting, being the webmaster of a major multinational company's branch in Portugal (3 central websites and a network of 50 smaller websites). The 50 sites' network was designed by myself, even though I'm not a coding expert, it was just a matter of opportunity plus a great idea that I managed to implement rather well.

I am the proud "father" of 2 dogs (both female) and 6 cats (50/50 gender distribution), and married to the girl I dreamed about before I even met her.

I used to be the lead singer of a band, and still plan on releasing a CD in the nearby future, but this time with no band support, just a few guests here and there. My main goal is life is to be able to have enough time to write without concerns regarding my sustenance... and that's getting really near.

I have a few notebooks full of unedited contents which I plan on editing from August to December and then try my luck on a few editors.

And, to finish this little presentation, I am 28, but feel like a kid, look a bit like a kid but, unfortunately, know I'm not one ;)

NESFreak
June 29th, 2006, 01:24 PM
dutch kid with to much time, 16, following atheneum (4th, NT NG profile)

Najand
June 29th, 2006, 02:28 PM
24 years old. Studying for my Master Degree @ university of Tokyo in Japan. I began using linux when I was 16 with Debian.
Migrated from Mandriva. I used to use Red Hat, Yellow Dog, Suse, Debian, Mandrake, Free BSD, etc. before, but Ubuntu is the most user friendly distribution I have ever used. I changed all my computers to Dapper Drake recently and I love it.

easyease
June 29th, 2006, 02:37 PM
im 34 male from England and Im a gardener by trade
but currently unemployed. i used to be a werewolf but im alright noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow!

LanceM
June 29th, 2006, 02:54 PM
35 | male | married | 2xkids | 2xcats | 3xdogs | 6xfish | Oregon, USA
100% Ubuntu at home. 33% Ubuntu at work. I manage 35 Windows servers at work. As of last week, add one Ubuntu LAMP server. Reluctant management finally gave in and let me set up a Linux box since they couldn't get me to stop asking.

Raavea
June 30th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Greetings, everyone.

I'm Roxanne, a nineteen year old entrepreneur and stickler. I have a wonderful girlfriend (who is currently making me breakfast) and a brilliant family. I recently met my mother's long-lost half-sister and her offspring, and their offspring - they're all kiwis! Sad to say, they're conservatives, but I can look past that. I stayed with my auntie and uncle when I went to London last week to visit the World Internet Summit, and for the last three days I stayed with my cousin. It was nice to meet so many new family members, and see how we all like the same things.

I'm English, born in London, grew up in Ramsgate, moved to Edinburgh. (And staying!) I'm short, ginger, bespectacled, befrecktacled, I love languages and programming languages, and I am often called a goth and a geek.

I have nine rats, four are bucks, five are does (and naughty little bishes too). We're considering getting a cat or a ferret, though I'd like both. :lol:

kazuya
June 30th, 2006, 02:56 PM
I was with mepis , then vector soho, and now Ubuntu. I was a little impressed with Ubuntu Breezy, but dapper takes Ubuntu in my opinion to another level. Since Mepis uses Ubuntu repo, I figured, I'd use Ubuntu direct. I am still waiting for the new Mepis 6 full release, but it may be difficult to leave Ubuntu as I have come to fall in love with Ubuntu, the community, and dapper's ease of use...

In truth, I have always liked and played with Ubuntu, but gnome which I used to not like has grown seriously on me. gdesklet and the look, feel, and responsiveness of Ubuntu. It has caught up with the ease of use of Mepis. Only thing lacking is a way to recover or reinstall grub to MBR from Ubuntu CD should I accidentally loose it ever when messing with Windos. A s a note I use Windows maybe once a month or two months..

I always run pretty fast back to linux..

This distro is phenominal in look, feel, useability, and hardware detection than almost any other distro, with the exception of mepis ofcourse...

But all I can say is WOW. What a growth!

You guys make it worth-while. And for the first time, I have successfully switched more than half my close family members to linux. Once they use it, they are addicted. I try to learn and ask seemingly stupid questions so I can better set them up such that they do not need anything else and give a quick demo on how to use it before letting them swim.

The lack of pop ups, malware, spyware, virus attacks , and beauty and speed of the system is what wins them over...

I am won over... With that said, Kubuntu dapper still needs some attention. But that is okay. It works fine. Mepis still excels better for kde as does Ubuntu for gnome. No other distro comes close to Ubuntu as far as gnome useability and eye-candy combined.. This is my opnion in the course of trying other distros... gentoo-based, slack {vector}, debain, RPM.. The only RPM distro I liked was PClinuxOS p92. It was great, but debian-based distros always perform better or work better for me...

jvictor
June 30th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Indian, 26, Aquarian, J2EE programmer , have a pretty little wife , Been with Linux for quite some time..Tried redhat, fedora, debian and finally Ubuntu ..liked it the best. Tried only using Ubuntu, but was Forced to dual boot due to some silly nuances mainly with IMs.. which is v imp now coz my wife is workin abroad.. Interested in TCP-IP, Love photography , pets but dont have them at home. Cuisines , well anything edible :)

Babo
July 12th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Hi. I'm 23 year old. Live in Moscow, Russia. Work in symphony orchestra. Also I work as IT-Designer and sometimes as system administrator in a liitle firm. About 5 years work on Windows Systems. It's disaster! I hate this corporation (Microsoft of course) and all that they doing are useful crap!!!
At last I kill my Windows XP and use Ubuntu Dapper on my home PC.

teyster2
July 23rd, 2006, 06:35 AM
54 year young automotive manufacturing employee. Enjoy many activities one of which is computing and experimenting with different linux distros. I stay with Ubuntu because it works for me and part of that is this forum and the wonderful people that comprise it. :D

Cyraxzz
July 23rd, 2006, 06:51 AM
Male, 18 year old, live in Galicia (Spain), been studying programming for the last 3 years, working with a software developing company at the moment. And I just use Ubuntu.

pugnacity
July 25th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Male, 20 years old, live in berlin, germany. i work in the technical support for a german isp and i hate womans with win98 and email problems....

Minyaliel
July 25th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Lol to the above post...

I'm 19, female, currently studying drama and dreaming of becoming an opera singer. :)

ncmathsadist
July 25th, 2006, 08:03 PM
I am director/teacher of Computer Science at the North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics.

ncmathsadist
July 25th, 2006, 08:09 PM
I am director/teacher of Computer Science at the North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics.

doomstone
July 26th, 2006, 12:39 AM
Name: Kasper Rune Søgaard
Sex: Male
Live: still with the oldies :D but i'm moving out in 6 months
Computer: 2xExtreem gaming computer (Parents where devorsed, and they both wanted to give me a computer, but now they live together again :D) and a server
Internet:8/5Mbit
School: Yes, working my way to become Civil Engineer
Married: Nope, but GF
Music: Techno Comedy
Interests: WoW, PhP, Partys :D

noneofthem
July 26th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Name: Amir
System: Ubuntu 6.06
Fav Music: NIN
Fav Movies: by David Lynch

I started working with computers in 1990 or 1991 I think. I studied informatics and used to run my own computer shop in Germany until things got really bad there and I had to close my business down. Since "excaping" Germany I have been working in the airline industry where I still am. In my spare time (any time my girlfriend grants me) I am teaching myself Linux and web programming...

Sa$$yFlapJacks
July 26th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Hi Everyone!
I'm a 32 year old gal from Albany, NY (USA). This is my first journey in the world of Linux, and thus far I'm totally digging it. I have been unemployed since March (I'm returning to school full time in the fall to pursue an MBA /w a concentration in HRIS). Since I've had so much free time, I decided to teach myself something useful and learn how to use Linux.:D

I find the whole "Down with the man(Windows)" and helpful spirit of Linux users to be really great. I'm not wildly tech savvy, but I have not run into any serious problems so far.

I'm going with dual booting for the time being, since I'm a bit of a PC game addict, but have been using Ubuntu for all of my day to day computing needs.

As I was reading through this post, I was impressed by the diversity among Ubuntu users. We really are a global community. Yea! :D

At any rate....I'm trying to learn how to use the command line...which is totally foreign to me....so look for more posts from me soon asking lots of N00b questions.:confused:

Thanks!

carontis
July 27th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Hi, fresco! Probably my country is the same you come from...(for the word used). I'm a 50 old, and I have seen what you wrote about soul. Don't let usual life confuse you. Play martial arts and they will give you something that others can't have. I did so many years ago and mu mind had time to grow up in a better way leaving back all stupid things. From 13th years I'm using many OS and only lastly (last year) I came to Ubuntu. Now I'm almost complete and what I need now is to understand exactly the deep structure of Linux-Ubuntu, for giving my contribute to this good distro.
This I told to you, should be same for all young peoples. Play martial arts, but not for offending!!! It's something that will help you a lot. Believe me. Remember only that the beginning it's always hard, but the satisfaction is guaranteed!

Kiao ka!

xavierh
August 2nd, 2006, 10:10 PM
37 year from Panama but living in the US (Texas) working for a multinational Company in IT

dsjas297
August 4th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Hello!

I am a 16 yo going into my junior year of high school in Fremont, CA.
I love science and technology and I am part of my school's robotics team (we haven't done too badly in competitions). Have been trying to find time to learn more programming (other that used for robots.) I've made some progress in taking a beginning C++ course at a local community college this summer. Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention that I love Ubuntu.

As for my other interests:

- Girls (in general)

- Rap music

- Gaming (only reason I can't leave Windows)

- Sports