PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Theme & Backgrounds won't change.

Temmex
June 30th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Hi guys, I've hunted and it seems people have similar problems but not quite the same as what i have.

I'm not even sure whats gone wrong with my system, but now i cannot change my theme by the normal theme manager accessed by right clicking the desktop (attempting to do so only changes whats inside that window), and i cannot change the desktop background - atm it is a pure colour which changes depending on the background i attempt to load. gtk-theme-switch2 seems to at least do something though.

I had a string of problems since i was trying to install world of warcraft on my computer via wine, then firefox 3 has been crashing on me which is still unresolved, after i attempted to fix it with a restart i came back and i had lost my theming and the computer seemed to be struggling.

Does anything stupidly obvious strike out as to what i could have done? I'm only just starting to get my head around Ubuntu of late. All help much appreciated!

T

edit: oh and also, when i hit the logout icon (running man) at the top right, it no longer gives me an option of restart, turn off, log off, switch user etc, just takes me back to the login screen

Temmex
July 1st, 2008, 03:43 AM
can anyone think of anything at all? its really bothering me.. ubunutu has been so good to me up untill now :(

Temmex
July 1st, 2008, 04:27 PM
Just looking into it further i thought i would reinstall GNOME, (and found out it was uninstalled?) but i get a string of dependencies issues relating back to

Depends: gnome-keyring-manager (>=2.20.0) but it is not installable

to which there seems to be no solutions, and something to do with being replaced by seahorse? if anybody a bit more in the know could expand on it i will love you forever. I am running hardy

konungursvia
July 1st, 2008, 05:42 PM
I would remove seahorse and force the reinstall of gnome-keyring-manager to get your linux back in shape, then re-try Wow using different instructions. Personally, Wow is why I dual-boot with xp. I couldn't get it working on Hardy 64. Are you running i386 or 64-bit? It is definitely a lost cause on 64. PS. I'm on Moonrunner.

Temmex
July 1st, 2008, 05:59 PM
well.. i actually have my laptop reformatting the ubuntu partition as we speak.. er.. type. It all got too hard - I should have tried the uninstall of seahorse but its been a long couple of days haha. In the end i even managed to fry my resolution whilst attempting to fix it all :/

I dual boot as well actually, and i had wow on the windows partition as well - but i dont really play anymore, started in 2004 haha. So far the installs have gone well, all thats left is to patch it when peak quota rolls onto offpeak :) what problems did you have with hardy? yeah im on 64bit :(

I'll be on eonar, but probably not much as im just testing out how to do all this jazz :D

Spaceman9
July 1st, 2008, 11:34 PM
One thing I can tell you about 64 bit is that as a general rule of thumb it's better not to run it unless you absolutely have to. In most bench mark tests 64 bit is actually slower than 32 bit and often causes more problems.

Temmex
July 2nd, 2008, 07:26 AM
oh ok interesting, well so far ive got wow up and running smoother than i could get it on windows, so im fairly happy with the results so far.. gui is fine once again but still no idea what was up. ubuntu is really just a test project for me at the moment so i'll see how i go :)