PDA

View Full Version : LaTeX/XeTeX Question regarding fonts

johnation33
June 30th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Hi everyone,

I've picked up latex and xetex recently and I love it. I'm making a resume using xetex, and I want to use the small caps Times New Roman font. Unfortunately, I only have the opentype times new roman font installed, and I don't know if it includes small caps. I've tried to use small caps code such as \textsc{inserttexthere} and what not but it just won't work. Tried following this posts instructions (although I didn't understand it all) http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Comp/comp.text.tex/2008-06/msg00470.html and small caps just refuse to work. Can anyone help me how to make small caps work for LateX/Xetex? Is my font .otf file the problem or am I coding it wrong? Here my my code:

{\fontspec{TimesNewRomanMTStd}
{\normalsize E{\fontspec[SmallCapsFeatures={Letters=SmallCaps}]{TimesNewRomanMTStd}\textsc{DUCATION}}}}\vspace{0. 025in}\hline

Thanks for your help in advance :)

johnation33
June 30th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Just to clarify, I'm trying to make the word EDUCATION all caps with E big caps and DUCATION small caps all in TimesNewRoman.

shifty2
June 30th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Bit of advice, if you didn't already know, there is a "resume" documentclass that you can install - works very nicely.

Additionally, I always thought the mantra with latex was along the lines of if its getting messy to do it, you shouldn't be doing it (from a typographical point of view).

Sorry to not help with the actual question :)

johnation33
June 30th, 2008, 05:37 PM
haha no problem although what you say is true, I'm not using Latex. I'm using XeTeX which I believe is based off of Latex but is different because it allows me to use Unicode fonts (asian fonts) as well as use a different font besides arial or computer modern/4 other supplied in Latex. That's the biggest problem I found with Latex, using an opentype already installed on your computer is a 25step conversion to TYpe1 font process which I find too time-consuming. XeTeX has all the benefits of LaTeX and I get to use my own fonts. Anyways, you are philosophically right although i believe LateX does have its own small caps function for its computer modern font.

johnation33
June 30th, 2008, 05:37 PM
and just wondering, what is this resume document class you speak of? Is it some kind of template?

Zugzwang
June 30th, 2008, 05:40 PM
This is not a clean solution but try including the graphicx package. Then you can use the scalebox command:

E\scalebox{0.7}{DUCATION}

shifty2
June 30th, 2008, 11:41 PM
You use it like /documentclass{article} but its /documentclass{res}. Here are some examples of it + the file itself: http://www.rpi.edu/dept/arc/training/latex/resumes/

hugmenot
July 4th, 2008, 01:28 PM
You have to inspect your font file to see if it includes real small caps at all.

e.g.:

otfinfo --features .fonts/MinionPro-Regular.otf

aalt Access All Alternates
c2sc Small Capitals From Capitals
case Case-Sensitive Forms
cpsp Capital Spacing
dlig Discretionary Ligatures
dnom Denominators
fina Terminal Forms
frac Fractions
hist Historical Forms
kern Kerning
liga Standard Ligatures
lnum Lining Figures
numr Numerators
onum Oldstyle Figures
ordn Ordinals
ornm Ornaments
pnum Proportional Figures
salt Stylistic Alternates
sinf Scientific Inferiors
size Optical Size
smcp Small Capitals
ss01 Stylistic Set 1
ss02 Stylistic Set 2
sups Superscript
tnum Tabular Figures
zero Slashed Zero

The feature you need is "smcp". otfinfo is in lcdf-typetools. I hope this comes not too late.
Besides, why don’t you use Minion instead. It’s a nice default Serif for your typing.
You can fish the font out of the package of commercial Adobe Reader 8. Most people assume that it should be alright to use the font to make PDF files from reading the EULA of Adobe Reader.

Zugzwang
July 4th, 2008, 01:34 PM
You have to inspect your font file to see if it includes real small caps at all.

...except for the scalebox solution. :)

hugmenot
July 4th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Yeah, but he uses XeTeX, and I can hence assume that he has an eye for typographic quality. Fake small caps are a poor hack (http://nitens.org/taraborelli/latex#smallcaps) that have no place in a professional resume.

nitro_n2o
July 4th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Just to clarify, I'm trying to make the word EDUCATION all caps with E big caps and DUCATION small caps all in TimesNewRoman.
use the small caps command \sc{Education}