PDA

View Full Version : Do u like Intrepid Ibex alpha 1 theme?

sharks
June 30th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Do u like Intrepid Ibex alpha 1 theme?
http://phorolinux.com/ubuntu-810-intrepid-ibex-alpha-1-screenshots.html

And i suggest this theme to be II:
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/sh...?content=63623

Sealbhach
June 30th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I wish they'd get rid of the brown colours completely.

It's not pleasant.

sharks
June 30th, 2008, 12:47 PM
This thread must be taken into consideration on making theme.

Canis familiaris
June 30th, 2008, 12:51 PM
The theme is blantantly ugly to say the least. I would rather they stay with the current theme.
The developers should come here at Ubuntuforums and ask which kind of theme would we prefer.

Chilli Bob
June 30th, 2008, 12:52 PM
I find darkish themes hard to read, and that grey/brown/whatever is both hard to read and downright ugly to my eyes.

Having said that, still support brown as the default.

sharks
June 30th, 2008, 12:54 PM
and i think that theme in 7.10 is better than 8.04 and 8.10

fiddledd
June 30th, 2008, 12:57 PM
I think the Orange and Chocolate is a bit of an acquired taste, and I've not quite acquired it yet. :) Still, in a way it's doing it's job, most people seem to link Orange or Brown with Ubuntu. So the branding is working.

nick09
June 30th, 2008, 12:58 PM
No we should make the bars orange, I don't like darkish themes.

mcduck
June 30th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I'm not sure if I like it or not. I think the brown is nice, and having darker theme is always nice too (as I mostly work in dimly lit environment).

But the theme is somewhat lacking in contrast, making it look kind of dull. Also the brown is not a good choise for background color in applications (as seen on screenshots of gnome-terminal & OO.org), it has a bad contrast even with black text, not to mention what's going to happen when the text becomes colored..

NovaAesa
June 30th, 2008, 01:00 PM
I like it.

fiddledd
June 30th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I'm not sure if I like it or not. I think the brown is nice, and having darker theme is always nice too (as I mostly work in dimly lit environment).

I have to ask, why do you work in a dimly lit environment?:)

FranMichaels
June 30th, 2008, 01:05 PM
I like it.

It's growing on me. I actually tweaked my current theme a bit.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5290697&postcount=903

I posted in that other thread (screenshot of alpha 1, wonder if the mods will merge it with this one...) My main point of approval stems from the fact that the tool bar, menu/window backgrounds are not gray and the input area is not pure white background. This in itself is innovative, and frankly doesn't shine like the sun when I stare at my monitor.

So rock on' Ubuntu art team. :guitar:

wdaniels
June 30th, 2008, 01:21 PM
I don't like it. I don't mind the orange/brown Ubuntu colours, and actually I always use a dark theme anyway, but this just doesn't look good for some reason. It's just sort of...dull. I don't like the lighter brown window background, that causes poor contrast. I'm not sure if there's anything more constructive I can say about it.

I think it would be nice to have this, or something similar, as a default dark theme option, but not as standard.

mcduck
June 30th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I have to ask, why do you work in a dimly lit environment?:)

I don't know. It helps me concentrate better on what I'm doing.

Besides, I rarely need to do any paperwork or such things, as long as I'm able to see the display, mouse, tablet & keyboard I have enough light.. :)

I don't think I'm alone with this habbit, I've noticed that most studios use very dim lights.. (Actually every single sound/video studio I've worked in have been very dark.)

BigSilly
June 30th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I suppose I prefer it to the default Hardy theme. I prefer the darker brown. But I can't really vote, as to me there's not a lot in it really. I'll keep an eye out and perhaps vote when more screenies come out further down the line.

Zenze
June 30th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Its alright, I like the fact that its darker than the current theme though.

BandD
June 30th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Keeping in mind that it is in alpha phase, I like the way it is heading. I think some tweaking is in order. The input/background color is TOO DARK, but much better than pure white in my opinion. I think there are soem slgiht contrast issues to work out and the Heron wallpaper needs to go...it just doesn't work on anything other than Hardy HERON for me.

nick_h
June 30th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I don't like it. I don't mind the orange/brown Ubuntu colours, and actually I always use a dark theme anyway, but this just doesn't look good for some reason. It's just sort of...dull. I don't like the lighter brown window background, that causes poor contrast. I'm not sure if there's anything more constructive I can say about it.

I think it would be nice to have this, or something similar, as a default dark theme option, but not as standard.

I don't mind the brown theme either, but I agree with you that the contrast is poor.

I also don't like mixing dark text on a light background with light text on a dark background.

days_of_ruin
June 30th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I like how there is no clear border between the titlebar and the
rest of the border.However the color is wrong and the contents
of the window or application should be WHITE!!!

RSingh
June 30th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Not a bad theme but needs more work on colors. I think it will improve with further work. Let us not forget that this is only Alpha 1.

days_of_ruin
June 30th, 2008, 03:42 PM
hey can I download the theme and try to improve it?:D

Terrycymru
June 30th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Ditch the brown. It's gloomy and hard to read.

Outdoors theme is the one for me!

BDNiner
June 30th, 2008, 03:57 PM
quite possibly the ugliest thing that i have ever seen!! reminds me of puke.

Ebuntor
June 30th, 2008, 04:09 PM
It's barely brown, more ash gray. Very depressing and ugly. Just look at the huge database of themes on gnome-look.org, there's so much choice and they choose something like this. :???:

fedex1993
June 30th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I think it is a nice design but it would be cool if they could add where we could change the colors of the theme like adjusting them and what not. I think it still could use some work but looks better than 8.04 and behind that

mrgnash
June 30th, 2008, 05:40 PM
I do :) Always been a fan of the brown... in fact, I've usually adjusted the palette myself to make the windows even more chocolatey/caramel, because I find white or off-white to be a little bit harsh on the eyes after extended periods. This really takes it to the next level :D

b3n87
June 30th, 2008, 06:55 PM
i'd be very, very surprised if this black theme holds out. I bet it will be changed to white half wayt= through development with the black theme as an option in the theme's.

Methuselah
June 30th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I like it!
All they need to do now is include an artsy Ibex like the Heron in Hardy.

Joshuwa
June 30th, 2008, 07:09 PM
In my opinion, this new brown theme - as well as the rest of the brown "niche" themes, need to go.

Yes, to a few on the design team, I'm sure it looks great.

But Ubuntu isn't being made for a select few on the design team, but rather everyone ELSE out there.

Release Ubuntu in non-niche themes. Let the user decide how their desktop looks. (Yes, I know it can be changed later. But should Ubuntu be marketed as an OS you have to spend a lot of time changing??)

New users base A LOT of their judgment on how their computer will work on how it looks.

New users want their desktop background to be their cat, their daughter, their roommates, etc. Release Ubuntu with a theme that can incorporate all of those possibilities, and not clash with them.

A good, professional theme should complement the user interface rather than become it. When you look at Ubuntu, the first thing you notice is the theme. That's not how a UI should be. A UI should never distract or take away from the actual purpose of the OS.

The themes need to be reconsidered, as well as the philosophy behind these decisions.

Create Ubuntu to suit the users, not to cater to the makers.

Methuselah
June 30th, 2008, 07:16 PM
If someone doesn't like the theme they can always change it.

I thought I would change Ubuntu's theme just to personalize and I never got rid of it.
I still have the default brown Human theme and Heron wallpaper except that I selected the Murrine Engine.

The Brown is easy on the eyes and has a comfortable homely feel.
It's like a wooden desk or a cup of Chocolate/Coffee.
In fact, what I'd like to try is a kind of wood grain look for some elements.

I really wouldn't want Ubuntu to mimic some Windows or Mac look.
The theme is the least, allow it to have some personality.

timzak
June 30th, 2008, 08:01 PM
It's alright just looking at the screenshots, but I wouldn't want to work in that theme. However, I like the new look of the active window border (that swooshie orange thingy in the center of the top bar).

That said, Ubuntu will make it look however they want to, and I will make my install look however I want to. I'm not going to fret over their decision since it's so easy to change the look.

I mentioned this once before, and I'll mention it again. I think Ubuntu should make two versions of their theme: a dark version and a light version. The light version would still have the same basic color palette, just in a lighter spectrum. Imagine the colors in an African savannah: tans, creams, olive green, perhaps a sky blue. See the top photo on this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savanna

Superkoop
June 30th, 2008, 08:01 PM
*sigh* Ubuntu's look is getting worse.

New users base A LOT of their judgment on how their computer will work on how it looks.

That is sooo true.

And just the fact that orange and brown are a couple of those colors that people either like, or REALLY hate, should be enough to persuade the design team that those colors should be used SPARINGLY.

I would have to say that both blue and green are the most liked colors, and Ubuntu aims to be a desktop for general purpose users. So, let's aim the theme to general purpose users. Let's give them a color that is actually more widely liked.
For example, when people think of the color brown, it seems the first things would be:
Chocolate, Poop, dirt, and Coffee.

Do we really want a color that would make people think of poop or dirt???

When people think of blue, and green:
Blue: sky, water, flowers.
Green: grass, plants, leaves.

I don't mind most of the default theme, I think it looks really nice. But with the brown and orange, I need to change it. And I don't think that users should WANT to change the default theme.

MissingLink
June 30th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Too much brown which makes it extremely dull and unpleasant. But you can always change it later...

Stefanie
June 30th, 2008, 08:24 PM
grey taskbars and window borders, what were they thinking? i can't think of anything more boring. there should also be less brown and more orange -- make it vivid!

XVII
June 30th, 2008, 08:29 PM
In my opinion, they should do a blue/green and neutral colored theme. It would be pleasing to the eye and there is always gnome-look if you really need brown.

T2manner
June 30th, 2008, 08:35 PM
i don't think this is even an official alpha theme.
back before 8.04 came out there was a theme that looked exactly like this and they said it was a beta theme. pfft

mivo
June 30th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Dark themes are geeky, they don't really work for most people who actually work at a computer. Come on, there are dozens of ergonomy studies showing that. I really, really hope they'll not go with a dark, bleak default theme.

Martje_001
June 30th, 2008, 08:40 PM
If this stays, my computers never get an update again.. and when 8.04 is not supported anymore, I'll ditch it for Debian.

Joshuwa
June 30th, 2008, 08:55 PM
If this stays, my computers never get an update again.. and when 8.04 is not supported anymore, I'll ditch it for Debian.

+1.

Now, I wouldn't jump ship over a UI. But it's the principle behind the decision that would have me looking elsewhere (niche design liked by the creators, hated by the users, and still used. Users should be priority.)

Design philosophies permeate; if it exists in one area (UI), it will eventually affect others (system) (if it has not already).

zmjjmz
June 30th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Eh, better than Human.
Not good enough though.

amazingtaters
June 30th, 2008, 10:34 PM
I voted yes, but I wish there was a middle of the road option. First off, I'd like it a lot more if it came in a more white/off-white version, as I'm not a fan of the dark themes. The icons aren't my cup of tea either, but those are easy to change. So, developers, a brighter version ploz?

urukrama
June 30th, 2008, 10:36 PM
I thought the theme was announced to have black and orange. Is my memory deluding me?

b3n87
June 30th, 2008, 10:37 PM

Thats a bit extreme?

NJC
June 30th, 2008, 10:39 PM
No - too much darkness and brown. Reminds me of the darker-coloured houses of the 70's.

AaronMT
June 30th, 2008, 10:40 PM
It is well known that the default: orange/brown/gray/black GTK theme(s) associated with Ubuntu, are a major turn-off with folks who are interacting with Ubuntu or are playing around with Ubuntu for the first time.

:(

smartboyathome
June 30th, 2008, 10:48 PM
In my opinion, this new brown theme - as well as the rest of the brown "niche" themes, need to go.

Yes, to a few on the design team, I'm sure it looks great.

But Ubuntu isn't being made for a select few on the design team, but rather everyone ELSE out there.

Release Ubuntu in non-niche themes. Let the user decide how their desktop looks. (Yes, I know it can be changed later. But should Ubuntu be marketed as an OS you have to spend a lot of time changing??)

New users want their desktop background to be their cat, their daughter, their roommates, etc. Release Ubuntu with a theme that can incorporate all of those possibilities, and not clash with them.

A good, professional theme should complement the user interface rather than become it. When you look at Ubuntu, the first thing you notice is the theme. That's not how a UI should be. A UI should never distract or take away from the actual purpose of the OS.

The themes need to be reconsidered, as well as the philosophy behind these decisions.

Create Ubuntu to suit the users, not to cater to the makers.

Before I begin, I just want to say I am using the different versions of Windows as an example that everyone knows, not because I like the look or anything.

So, according to you, Vista should have presented the user with the appearance menu right off the bat? I know that didn't happen after I installed Vista, you had to go in there manually and change the colors. Also, according to you, it would be better to go with the "Windows 2k" style theme rather than Windows XP / Vista type ones.

One more thing, when you say don't use "non-niche themes", do you mean go with a Vista/OS X look? It seems like any non-niche theme for linux is either Vista or OS X, and if that happens, you would just be put off as a clone of another OS. I think that brown can look very good if implemented correctly (look at the commercials for Hershey's chocolate, they make brown look VERY good), but sadly its one of the harder colors to work with.

aeacides
July 1st, 2008, 03:10 AM
@smartboyathome : Good points.

I'll probably repeat everyone, but I want to put my little piece on that thread.

Staying with dark color is perfect. They should work on shadows, a bit of glowing/highlighting on some part (rollovers, etc). Increase contrast between colors (Darkest vs lightest).

Maybe their brown choice isn't right, or looks a little poor/flat. Inserting gradients or other design parts should be tested. Also adding depth between elements could be nice ( But too much effects for low end computer? ).

Personally I love Ubuntu Studio's theme or Firefox's NASA Theme. But they can be installed separately.

Finally, I would like to see Ubuntu's developer/designer making some test and submitting on brainstorm.ubuntu.com or launchpad or whatever, so we can vote for the one we like the most or comment it!

acelin
July 1st, 2008, 03:22 AM
Hi everyone-

I am on the Art Dev Team. We are probably going to release both a light and a dark theme, with the light one being the default.

The Ubuntu system font will be changed to something more modern, along with the icon theme. The background will most likely be similar to the Hardy Heron wallpaper.

Quillz
July 1st, 2008, 03:29 AM
I agree it's time for a change, but not like this. It's not bad, but it's not good, either. The orange and brown of yesterday gave way to the orange and very dark brown of tomorrow. And I don't like the scroll bars, either.

nkri
July 1st, 2008, 03:38 AM
I hate the dark themes, and I think this one is just plain ugly compared to the current one. But I will be perfectly happy to give it a try if acelin is right and we have an option of light or dark:).

acelin
July 1st, 2008, 03:43 AM
The final wont look like this, people are making themes for submission. Itll be better- Ill do my best to make sure of it.

nkri
July 1st, 2008, 03:44 AM
awesome, thanks!

Joshuwa
July 1st, 2008, 06:13 AM
So, according to you, Vista should have presented the user with the appearance menu right off the bat? I know that didn't happen after I installed Vista, you had to go in there manually and change the colors. Also, according to you, it would be better to go with the "Windows 2k" style theme rather than Windows XP / Vista type ones.

One more thing, when you say don't use "non-niche themes", do you mean go with a Vista/OS X look? It seems like any non-niche theme for linux is either Vista or OS X, and if that happens, you would just be put off as a clone of another OS. I think that brown can look very good if implemented correctly (look at the commercials for Hershey's chocolate, they make brown look VERY good), but sadly its one of the harder colors to work with.
No, not according to me, because I never mentioned a word about Vista (or OS X, for that matter).

I'd make a more worthwhile retort if you were debating the points I made, rather than the ones you are pulling from thin air.

doorknob60
July 1st, 2008, 06:22 AM
I voted yes. I don't really like it a lot, but it's better than previous versions I guess. With some work it could turn out pretty nice though.

smartboyathome
July 1st, 2008, 06:32 AM
No, not according to me, because I never mentioned a word about Vista (or OS X, for that matter).

I'd make a more worthwhile retort if you were debating the points I made, rather than the ones you are pulling from thin air.

Like I said, I was using vista as an example, I didn't mean you mentioned it. According to you, both Vista and OS X were failures when it came to how they were designed. Both Vista and OS X have themes which you notice right away out of the box how good they are, and in the case of vista, can distract you from your work enough to be unusable (have worked with OS X, but not enough to actually have this deep of an opinion of it). Instead, from what I've seen, the only people who would actually care are in the corporate sector. Most casual users are more interested in the flashy themes and graphics that are somewhat usable than the subtle non-flashy ones (such as Windows 2k's theme) that are very usable.

Paqman
July 1st, 2008, 06:35 AM
Yuck. I'm not a fan of dark themes at all. I like a bit of light and space in my desktop, i'd find that really oppressive.

grimlock838
July 1st, 2008, 06:41 AM
From what I have seen, yes ... but Ubuntu is still lacking a really killer theme! One that forces people to really take notice. Mac OS X is beautiful to the eye. Ubuntu can be but it takes some work ... Vista is more about here are the socks and underwear your parents gave you year after year, never really changing (plainness to the extreme of boredom).

Martje_001
July 1st, 2008, 07:15 AM
Hi everyone-

I am on the Art Dev Team. We are probably going to release both a light and a dark theme, with the light one being the default.

The Ubuntu system font will be changed to something more modern, along with the icon theme. The background will most likely be similar to the Hardy Heron wallpaper.
Ok! That's very good news! Thank you!

SoulinEther
July 1st, 2008, 07:34 AM
sudo apt-get install agave

Though by no means am I an artist nor pretending to be with this tool.

I think a night sky purple/indigo, dark brown, and dark (rich) green theme actually would be pretty interesting.... it captures the nighttime jungle/savannah atmosphere. Complement that with some light orange text entry areas (except not in OO.org: the document itself should be white).

But find a way to throw those three major colors in a theme together and I'll buy a cloud off of you.

mech7
July 1st, 2008, 07:38 AM
:( it's very ugly theme

Masoris
July 1st, 2008, 11:09 AM
It's dark, gloomy and geeky. I don't like it. I hope more bright colour theme.

pt123
July 1st, 2008, 11:16 AM
I like it, this brown is a lot more classy, as it is in between black and brown.

jespdj
July 1st, 2008, 12:28 PM
I do not like dark themes and IMO it would not be a good idea to have a dark theme as the default in Ubuntu.

I especially do not like the look of OpenOffice.org Writer, with the background of the page a darker shade of gray instead of white.

sharks
July 2nd, 2008, 01:28 AM
the theme in II should be replaced.

acelin
July 2nd, 2008, 01:30 AM
Dont worry guys. I talked with Mark today and stuff is moving along.

zmjjmz
July 2nd, 2008, 01:43 AM
So this won't be the theme?

acelin
July 2nd, 2008, 01:47 AM
Oh god no. Things will change.

http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2008/07/01/%23ubuntu-meeting.txt

scroll down almost to end.

Martje_001
July 2nd, 2008, 07:01 AM
Dont worry guys. I talked with Mark today and stuff is moving along.
Face to face? :KS

Edit: Ow, on IRC ;), I see

frup
July 2nd, 2008, 08:00 AM
acelin's conversation with sabdfl and all forum discussions and art work contributions point out something I have been thinking about for a while now. To date there is not a single theme I have actually liked, I always end up going back to default because at least it isn't too obtrusive.

The problem seems to be that theme designers try to design an entire theme, where certain elements create visual writers block or tend to loose their focus from the great scheme of things, it's essentially like every theme designer is trying to code the entire kernel from scratch in terms of GUI.

I've been thinking that it would be good to create divisions in the artwork team that only focus on say the colour scheme, panels, the menu, icons etc. etc. Turning it in to micro-theming would, IMHO allow small details to be imagined/created that currently are often over-looked.

That way each team/person could submit small changes/developments and the best ideas chosen for each tiny bit. It would allow people to work together with out the entire concept being to complicated to fully grasp.

I have studied architecture (all though currently have taken a break from university indefinitely) To actually make a successful design one had to really abstract from the idea of a building and just design individual parts with a greater scope only in mind. We would take tracing paper and constantly redraw the same thing, where just moving a single line by a millimetre or so or changing the scale would really alter the perception.

From what I can observe, themes do not really get that kind of attention.

graabein
July 2nd, 2008, 08:24 AM
I don't like it in the least, sorry. :( Murrina Dreamy is somewhat better.

I like themes that are not so loud on the eyes. Crisp buttons/controls and icons, and more subtle colours and effects.

Joshuwa
July 2nd, 2008, 09:40 AM
Like I said, I was using vista as an example, I didn't mean you mentioned it. According to you, both Vista and OS X were failures when it came to how they were designed. Both Vista and OS X have themes which you notice right away out of the box how good they are, and in the case of vista, can distract you from your work enough to be unusable (have worked with OS X, but not enough to actually have this deep of an opinion of it). Instead, from what I've seen, the only people who would actually care are in the corporate sector. Most casual users are more interested in the flashy themes and graphics that are somewhat usable than the subtle non-flashy ones (such as Windows 2k's theme) that are very usable.

*Sigh*...

If you're going to debate with yourself...please begin excluding my posts in the conversation.

Thanks.

yorkie
July 2nd, 2008, 02:32 PM
The first thing I do with every new Ubuntu release is change theme and background because Ubuntu is probaly the ugliest distro if this is how the new theme is going to look I think instead of changing theme again I will consider going to OpenSuse or Fedora even Zenwalk.
Every release of Ubuntu most people complain about the theme but Developers if they visit the forums choose to ignore complaints.
Is it a case of we hear you but we don`t care.?

Logical Dream
July 2nd, 2008, 03:11 PM
I donno I really like this theme

LMP900
July 2nd, 2008, 03:56 PM
Every release of Ubuntu most people complain about the theme but Developers if they visit the forums choose to ignore complaints.
Is it a case of we hear you but we don`t care.?

It's simply the case of not being able to please everyone Those that dislike the theme seem to be more vocal than those that actually like it. This means you will encounter more threads titled "Ewww! I hate the default theme!!!!1" than "I am content with the default theme. That is all."

Jordanwb
July 2nd, 2008, 04:44 PM
Oh god, that's ugly.

FuturePilot
July 2nd, 2008, 04:59 PM
It's too dark. I don't like dark themes.

klange
July 2nd, 2008, 10:42 PM
I'm not going to use it even if it is a good theme - I always use my own theme. It's just the default theme, the only people who will care are people who are really lazy, but tough luck to them if they don't like it.

Sand & Mercury
July 2nd, 2008, 10:43 PM
People must take note that this won't be the default theme in the final release, it's for testing that apps are working well with dark themes.

That said, I rather like it, enough to download it myself and tweak the colours a bit (desaturating). Needs some polish, but it's a good start imo.

acelin
July 2nd, 2008, 11:02 PM
Speaking for the art team, we have tried for the past two releases to act on whats best for the OS. The problem is we dont have enough or the right people to make things good enough stability, internationally, and within certain guidelines.

sharks
July 4th, 2008, 06:42 AM
what should be the theme?

smartboyathome
July 4th, 2008, 06:45 AM
what should be the theme?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=845740

:popcorn:

sharks
July 4th, 2008, 06:53 AM
thats my thread.

HansKisaragi
July 4th, 2008, 07:01 AM
I don't like it at all .. they really need to make it brighter and color full and go away from the brownish goo colors.

Canis familiaris
July 4th, 2008, 07:06 AM
thats my thread.

yup! But that theme with few alterations would really be great.

sharks
July 4th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Which theme? Murrina or II default theme.

Canis familiaris
July 4th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Which theme? Murrina or II default theme.

Murrina. i.e. Theme which you posted on the other thread.
The II Alpha 1 theme really sucks IMO.

fillintheblanks
July 5th, 2008, 04:08 AM
I like the intrepid theme.. its going to look gorgeous with transparency enabled

D-EJ915
July 5th, 2008, 05:05 AM
hell yes, finally the abysmal tan colour is gone. This is the first half-decent ubuntu theme.

sharks
July 6th, 2008, 02:27 AM
Will it be changed in Alpha 2?

sharks
July 8th, 2008, 12:36 PM
are they or not?

sharks
July 30th, 2008, 02:23 AM
most of the people doesnt like the theme.

picpak
July 30th, 2008, 02:43 AM
I know it's outdated, but Candido Calm (http://candido.berlios.de/pages/engine.php) is a very nice brown-ish theme. I'm using it right now.

Sn3ipen
August 6th, 2008, 01:23 AM
This theme discussion will probably never end whether they are placing 100's of themes in the theme manager because it's only about the taste of thousands(no probably a million) people. I am glad its so easy to change default look in Gnome and i tend to use the same dark theme on every distro i try simply because i have gotten used to it.

bobbybobington
August 6th, 2008, 02:11 AM
It looks like they just took the existing theme and changed the color, and added a gold stripe. It lacks the depth or richness that themes like Oxygen have, the theme just looks flat, and old. Besides dark themes have contrast problems anyways.

Giant Speck
August 6th, 2008, 02:17 AM
I like brown. It's just this isn't a good shade of brown. They're trying to pull of a crappy shade of brown.

Now if the brown was more of a wood color instead of stale dark chocolate, it would look nice.

Watchtow3r
August 6th, 2008, 02:18 AM
it just looks like a darker grey... am I missing something here? THIS is the total overhaul? Also I agree that they should change it from brown, but then again that's kinda like ubuntu's signature color. I do really like OpenSUSE's look, especially with the nature theme with the green and the lizard on KDE's menu clicker.

acelin
August 6th, 2008, 06:49 AM
It's growing on me. I actually tweaked my current theme a bit.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5290697&postcount=903

I posted in that other thread (screenshot of alpha 1, wonder if the mods will merge it with this one...) My main point of approval stems from the fact that the tool bar, menu/window backgrounds are not gray and the input area is not pure white background. This in itself is innovative, and frankly doesn't shine like the sun when I stare at my monitor.

So rock on' Ubuntu art team. :guitar:

1) The art team didnt create this. The art team does nothing but pick the wallpaper.

2) Your theme is almost useless.

SunnyRabbiera
August 6th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Its too bloody brown.

cardinals_fan
August 6th, 2008, 06:55 AM
1) The art team didnt create this. The art team does nothing but pick the wallpaper.

2) Your theme is almost useless.
I mean no offense, but you seem a bit hypocritical. First you complain that the Art Director refuses to accept others' ideas, and now you throw out his (or hers?) with no discussion of its flaws.

Giant Speck
August 6th, 2008, 08:03 AM
I still really like this interface: http://willwill100.deviantart.com/art/Interpid-Ibex-Mockup-Part-1-93584571

I would totally use that.

graabein
August 6th, 2008, 08:11 AM
I sure hope they don't go for a dark theme by default. It's difficult to get all applications to blend in.

And generally speaking, if you're on a team I feel you should discuss things internally and not mope about it in public. :mad:

PryGuy
August 6th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I still really like this interface: http://willwill100.deviantart.com/art/Interpid-Ibex-Mockup-Part-1-93584571

I would totally use that.This one looks cool and very professional! I would vote for it too..

karellen
August 6th, 2008, 08:14 AM
too dark and too much brown. but it doesn't really matter, changing it is a piece of cake anyway

Lod
August 6th, 2008, 10:14 AM
I like dark themes for their looks. When I use the computer however I find them counterproductive. A light theme is easier for the eyes on the long term imho.
This proposed alpha theme is just ugly.

crhylove
August 6th, 2008, 10:38 AM
It's not just ugly. It's downright offensive. I don't like orange and brown, but in this awesome arrangement they got somehow even worse.

I'd like any color but brown and orange. Even Lavender or Puse.

Horny
August 7th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Well.. I dont like it. Nothing against dark colors but i just thought it would be something like this:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Hardy/Alternate/BasicIdeals

Intrepid Ibex's new theme is work in progress but i cant find anything like it in:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Intrepid

It would be my choice for sure :)

KenBW2
August 7th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Eh, better than Human.
Not good enough though.

+1

It's niceish, but it's not the stunning new theme I was hoping for. I stick with the default Human theme atm, because it's the default. I'd like to think that Intrepid's theme will be something I want to keep as well.

One thing. Pleeeaaase don't copy OS X or Vista (I'm looking at *you* KDE4). Linux/Gnome/Ubuntu should be a class of its own, not a catchup. Gnome doesn't need/wouldn't benefit from shininess - leave that to KDE.

So in summary, make it nicer, but not too flashy.

Dual Cortex
August 7th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Completely agree with Lod. They look really nice in those 'post your desktop!' threads, seriously. However, once you begin using them, you realize they're not nice on your eyes in many situations.

kevin11951
August 7th, 2008, 01:18 AM
i like the theme so much in fact, that im using it in 8.04 right now!

Aradnix
August 8th, 2008, 07:01 AM
I don't like it. The Ubuntu's theme always in brown are a little boring for me. The color is not bad, the problems is that the color is not attractive for everybody and I feeel the developers don't find yet the right way to use this palette based in tan and brown.

The dark tones are nice, those colors that evoque the chocolate are a really good choice. But unfortunatelly the Intrepid Ibix alpha 1 theme is not a nice choice, is exactly at the Hardy Heron theme and also very similar to the Gutsy Gibon theme also.

The most of suites uses a palette based on blue with another colors like with or green. I proposse we can use a brown theme but like a second choice for those who enjoy that theme.

Aradnix

pt123
August 8th, 2008, 10:17 AM
someone has made a useable GDM theme of Will's mockup

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=86712

Smoking hot

rEbyTer
August 8th, 2008, 10:23 AM
I like it too....

Skorzen
August 8th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I don't like 8.04 theme but this new one for 8.10 looks awful! It looks even worst than Human. I really don't like it.

By the way, one of the first things I always do after installing Ubuntu is changing the default theme for one I like, so I don't care much.

Sycron
August 8th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I really like a black theme.

war59312
August 8th, 2008, 07:39 PM
No thanks! Dark themes still remind me too much of dog ****.

brunovecchi
August 9th, 2008, 05:12 AM
someone has made a useable GDM theme of Will's mockup

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=86712

Smoking hot

I'm using it right now! It also comes with the nice wood floor wallpaper.

macogw
August 9th, 2008, 01:12 PM
I find darkish themes hard to read, and that grey/brown/whatever is both hard to read and downright ugly to my eyes.

Having said that, still support brown as the default.

I find them easier to read, especially in a dark room (as now), since light themes are a bit like staring into a bright light bulb for hours.

cb951303
August 9th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Oh god, is this the new look that mark s. was talking about
its ugly

Johel Pires
August 13th, 2008, 01:41 PM
no, i dont like it. it looks really ugly. i think i'm ok with the dark theme, and i dont care about the brown/orange colors. but this theme is definitely not pleasant. i think its this excelsior engine or the widgets, i dont know. why dont they work with the wonderful aurora engine?

graabein
August 25th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I'm not a big fan of dark themes but I must say the Dust mockup looks pretty good.

Link here (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Intrepid/DustTheme).

Maybe if it gets done the author can make a silver grey or tan (Human) edition also?

linux4909
August 25th, 2008, 10:22 AM
this theme is too much like windows and mac. you can't even tell at first glance what OS it is til you see the menu buttons. that's how similar it is to the others. i dont like it for ubuntu. keep the colors we have and if you want more you can download them.

no matter what themes will be out there. even if this were default, everyone would fall in love with another one we dont have. i dont like it.

ba5e
September 15th, 2008, 09:20 PM
It's pretty revolting to be honest.

tdrusk
September 15th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Wow that really looks like poop.

zmjjmz
September 15th, 2008, 10:33 PM
You guys are a bit late to the party.

apostate
September 17th, 2008, 06:11 PM
So what? II has not been released yet, so it is timely. And truly, this theme is nothing short of revolting.

The Murrina Dreamy one is a VERY nice compromise, and that woody looking mockup is actually gorgeous, for an earth-toned theme.

That said...WHY, why the stalwart insistence that Ubuntu is the "Brown OS"? Ubuntu strives to be many things, user-friendly, stable, easy...these things are what makes Ubuntu stand out, NOT the hideous fecal default look. Every new release we hear about the new theme, and each one is just a slight variation of the original dog-dung GTK theme known as Human. WHY? Even in that chat, Mark seemed to drop the clue the a non-brown theme was not off the table, and the art guy went right past him and elected us all to endure another revision of...brown. So who is really driving this branding campaign, cuz it ain't Mark Shuttleworth.

As a previous poster said, most folks are going to change at least the wallpaper, so design a default look that tends to blend in with your custom wallpaper. Bright orange icons don't blend with much. I'm sorry, but while the attempt to create a *distinct* Ubuntu look is laudable from a marketing standpoint, this attitude that "Warty was Brown and Denver Broncos Orange, so we have to be loyal to that" is just misguided.

The look has fans, clearly...but not many. Please, what would be so terrible about a BLUE theme? The logo can be Orange, but for the love of Pete, you don't put orange ON orange. Or Brown with accents of brown, it's just simple design, guys.

Orange on Blue, sure. That can be very modern looking. Some tan elements with a lot of blue and green, also very organic, but easier on the eye.

Tawny Tan on top of brown or Orange on Tan = barf.

pbhj
September 28th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I find the orange/chocolate too "rich" like a rich chocolate pudding that sticks to your palette, you need some runny cream/ice cream to freshen it.

I quite like the KDE4 blue theme but find it a little low-key and perhaps a bit dull.

Tried OpenSUSE (virtualised) recently and was wowed by the look, very refined, slick and consistent, bright and fresh.

After consideration however, having tried these themes each for at least a day (Heron for nearly a month back in Jan, KDE4 since it came out) I prefer the darker blue KDE4 theme as it's least distracting for me.

andras artois
September 28th, 2008, 09:48 PM
If it was more black than brown it would look better and the nameywindowbarthing could do with being a considerably different colour rather than just a silly little line thing.

ToasterThief
October 3rd, 2008, 04:46 PM
It looks like what a 12 y.o. would submit to a "Post a picture of your desktop"-thread in a WoW forum.

dariusdwtt
December 3rd, 2008, 03:24 AM
Does not pass. Simple functionality not good.
Can't see black writing on brown, nor can you see the light orange on white.
The window captions look terrible, but okay when not in focus.

The art team would all be getting pay cuts if I were their boss (not that I'd like to be...)
The basic idea has lots of potential, but doesn't look like it was explored.

If creams, wood textures, transparency, shading and lighting were used more it could have been stunning.

What shocks me is that a non-newbie can very easily improve his theme, but an art department can't??? (Baring in mind that a good default theme is for marketing and for the newbie to like what he sees)

It seams that if Ubuntu fails it will not be from anything technical, but for looking like poo.

People will put up with terrible service and a poor product for years, provided it looks good or there's a hype.