PDA

View Full Version : Would This Make A Good Testing Server?

kevin11951
June 30th, 2008, 07:31 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883118005

i was looking for a cheap (new) computer to use as a testing server...

is there anything that stands out to you, that would make this a bad server...

I'm installing ubuntu server edition on here BTW.

dmizer
June 30th, 2008, 08:18 AM
what kind of "server" are you planning to run?

file server?
web server?
ftp server?
mail server?

etc. etc.

if you only want to test things out and get a feel for how to configure a server, you certainly don't need any kind of special equipment. for example, my live webserver is hosted on a 650mhz pIII with 512mhz of ram.

i have a very fast dedicated file server (on another network) that's been up for 326 days straight. it's a 450Mhz pII with 256 meg of ram.

usually you can find machines like this for free.

kevin11951
June 30th, 2008, 06:41 PM
what kind of "server" are you planning to run?

file server?
web server?
ftp server?
mail server?

etc. etc.

if you only want to test things out and get a feel for how to configure a server, you certainly don't need any kind of special equipment. for example, my live webserver is hosted on a 650mhz pIII with 512mhz of ram.

i have a very fast dedicated file server (on another network) that's been up for 326 days straight. it's a 450Mhz pII with 256 meg of ram.

usually you can find machines like this for free.

its going to be a web server, for a friend of mine to use as a dedicated server to test his new site on.

i know you dont need anything special, my question was if it looked good for linux support?

kevin11951
June 30th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Also, anyone want to help me find a cheap pci wireless adapter with linux support?

zachtib
June 30th, 2008, 07:22 PM
its going to be a web server, for a friend of mine to use as a dedicated server to test his new site on.

i know you dont need anything special, my question was if it looked good for linux support?

That box comes preinstalled with Linux, so I'm guessing it has pretty good Linux support. :)

As for the wifi card, I'd advise to you to always run a server on a hardline if at all possible.