PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual boot questions

redpants
June 29th, 2008, 10:28 PM
I have a custom built home PC currently running Windows Vista Ultimate. I have two hard drives installed - a 500GB and a 300GB. The 500GB is the primary drive that Vista is installed on.

Right now I have just been using the 300GB drive to store music and video and such and have used up about 80GB of it. There's still plenty of room (250 GB or so) on the 500GB drive.

I was thinking about partitioning off about 100 GB of the 300GB drive into two more partitions, one as a share drive and one for an Ubuntu installation.

I've done plenty of Dual-boots and triple-boots with Ubuntu in the past, but it's always been on the same physical drive and it's always been from a clean hard drive, not an existing system. Are there any special considerations I need to make because of this setup? Does the Ubuntu installation have to be made on the 500GB drive or is the 300GB secondary drive okay? I wasn't sure how that would effect the boot loader.

Just so you know, I was going to go with these instructions: http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_f irst.htm as a guide.

Thanks for any advice you can give on this. I just want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before attempting this.

-

Oh yeah, one more thing - I'm running a 64-bit AMD Phenom processor on this system, but I'm running the 32-bit version of Windows Vista Ultimate. This shouldn't effect me wanting to install a 64-bit version of Ubuntu, should it?

Pumalite
June 29th, 2008, 11:11 PM
This link might help:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=179902&highlight=Dualboot+Hard+drives

redpants
June 30th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the info!

Does anyone have any info on my last question?

Oh yeah, one more thing - I'm running a 64-bit AMD Phenom processor on this system, but I'm running the 32-bit version of Windows Vista Ultimate. This shouldn't effect me wanting to install a 64-bit version of Ubuntu, should it?

ibutho
June 30th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Your version of Windows and Ubuntu are independent of each other so one does not affect the other.

pooyaplus
September 16th, 2008, 10:45 AM
This should not affect the other OS. I have tested Vista Home Ultimate 32 bit and Ubuntu 64 bit on AMD 64 bit laptop.