PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I'm unable to access some administrative applications.

brodae
June 29th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I'm unable to use software sources, as well as the update manager. I've been having problems with this for a while, but I was able to find some workarounds. Those aren't working anymore. They consisted of going into administrative applications that I COULD open, unlocking them with the "unlock" button, followed by opening the program I wanted to open in the first place.

I also learned about sudo synaptic, as well as sudo apt-get install early in the game, and applied those methods to yield the results I desired. But, now, I'm screwed. It's just not working, and I have a myriad of updates available, and it won't let me download them when I click "Install Updates."

:(

brodae
June 29th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Just so you know, I learned I'm able to access these applications through the terminal. I discovered their commands via the search applet, and in the terminal I just added sudo to the beginning of them. However, I want to access them through the GUI which shouldn't be a problem.

aysiu
June 29th, 2008, 11:07 PM
I don't know if this is related or not, but for graphical applications, you should use gksudo and not sudo. So it would be
gksudo synaptic not sudo synaptic. More details here:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/graphicalsudo

Can you paste the command
gksudo synaptic in the terminal and then post back any error messages you get back here?

brodae
June 29th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Actually, when I use gksudo, it does the same problem as before. Sudo, however, does work.

aysiu
June 29th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Actually, when I use gksudo, it does the same problem as before. Sudo, however, does work.
What's the error message you get?

brodae
June 30th, 2008, 12:39 AM
I don't get an error message. It just says, "Starting Administrative Application" and then stops and doesn't do anything.

aysiu
June 30th, 2008, 03:06 AM
What do you mean by doesn't do anything?

Does it go to the next prompt in the terminal? That is, something like this?
username@ubuntu:~$ gksudo synaptic
username@ubuntu:~$

brodae
June 30th, 2008, 07:03 PM
It says "Starting Administrative Application" and then that taskbar item goes away, and nothing else happens. It doesn't go to the next prompt. It just sits there waiting for the application.

brodae
July 17th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Well, it's fixed now. I don't know what did it, but it's working. It was probably fixed by a system update.

Kouki
July 18th, 2008, 05:12 PM
And now I have your problem. Yes, flashes up in the taskbar and then nothing. Problem is that I've not updated in a while and I think the source I was using is no more. Therefore I can't update until I change my update server using the software sources application and choosing best server.

phantomjoker
July 18th, 2008, 05:35 PM
try launching the program from the termial - that way it will tell you why it doesnt open.

Kouki
July 19th, 2008, 04:44 PM
I'm afraid I don't know how to open 'software sources' from the terminal

Kouki
July 19th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Hopefully this fixes it, I've logged in as root and the upgrade manager had the option of upgrading to 8.04 so I clicked upgrade and it seems to be downloading now. Hopefully it will sort itself out following the dist upgrade.

I'm also hoping my laptops wireless card will automatically work following the upgrade to the latest distribution.