PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Oh please help this here newbie - screen messed up on new install

rasiel
June 29th, 2008, 09:51 PM
i've had it with win xp on my son's computer so i want to make a clean switch to ubuntu. i downloaded and burned the cd 8.04. it tries to load (i get the back and forth orange bar) but after a few seconds the screen just goes fubar. nothing is recognizable on the screen, just garbage.

this is on an emachines t3422 which has an ati radeon xpress 200 video card.

any help would be appreciated.

many thanks,

ras

bapoumba
June 29th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Could you please give details about the hardware ?

Edit: disregard, I missed the info..

Pumalite
June 29th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Install with the Alternate CD. If that doesn't work; we can try some boot parameters.

Pumalite
June 29th, 2008, 10:15 PM
How much memory do you have?

rasiel
June 29th, 2008, 10:41 PM
alternate cd? let me look into that.

i have 1.5 gigs of ram

thanks for the tip, ras

rasiel
June 30th, 2008, 05:20 AM
nope. nearly same thing with the alternate cd. goes through install correctly until bootup then the screen turns to mush, like a checkerboard pattern.

tried mepis. also installs but on bootup a blank screen.

so til next time i think i'm stuck with xp :-(

ras

VMC
June 30th, 2008, 05:48 AM
nope. nearly same thing with the alternate cd. goes through install correctly until bootup then the screen turns to mush, like a checkerboard pattern.

tried mepis. also installs but on bootup a blank screen.

so til next time i think i'm stuck with xp :-(

ras

rasiel, there's some issue with that video card, or integrated video. I googled around and there is some ubuntu solutions available. In fact there is several post on the video card. That appears to be your problem.

starcannon
June 30th, 2008, 10:26 AM
From the Ubuntu 8.04 CD's boot menu screen press F4 I think it is, and choose safe video mode (i might have the verbage a bit wrong) anyway the options and associated keymaps are at bottom of the screen when the CD first boots up.

This should get you to a desktop, you'll need to install the ATi drivers at some point after your install.

GL have fun, and Welcome to Ubuntu and the friendliest lil' ol' community on planet earth :)

rasiel
July 2nd, 2008, 05:46 AM
hey this worked! i didn't have to do anything else, just chose to install in safe mode and when it was done everything looked great. no more hassles.

well, now to get it to recognize my wireless (stress!)

thanks again for the F4 tip!

ras

bobnutfield
July 2nd, 2008, 08:32 AM
What wireless card does it have?

Bob