PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to modify & save sources.list

Harris2508
June 29th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I'm new to Linux and Ubuntu. I am trying to install Slim Devices Squeezecenter into my new install of Ubuntu Desktop 8.04. The install fails with the message that the source could not be found (error 404). I have entered the string "http://debian.slimdevices.com stable main (source code" Though it seems strange to me, in reading through the forum I see notations about modifying the etc/apt/sources.list with various strings. I've tried this but am not allowed to save the edited file.

I've tried changing my permissions so that I have "administer system" checked in my listing in users and groups. Or, I guess I could logon as "root" (?), but I cannot figure out how to do that.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts or ideas. Thank you very much.

--Bob Harris :)

Pumalite
June 29th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Backup first:
sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.old
Edit:
gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Wobblybob
June 29th, 2008, 10:18 PM
and when you edit your source list with
sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
to add the slindevices repo it should inc. the deb at the begining i.e.
deb http://debian.slimdevices.com stable main
then enter
apt-get update
followed by
apt-get install squeezecenter
good luck

Harris2508
June 30th, 2008, 04:05 AM
Thank you very much guys; I'll give that a spin. I really appreciate your help!

--Bob

Gainax
September 17th, 2008, 11:03 AM
apt-get update
followed by
apt-get install squeezecenter
good luck

If I have an exisiting SqueezeCenter running, will the above commands simply upgrade my current SqueezeCenter version?

I'm running 7.01 and want to upgrade to 7.2 as I'm wanting to fix some issues I've had with 7.01

Thanks

Partyboi2
September 17th, 2008, 11:37 AM
If I have an exisiting SqueezeCenter running, will the above commands simply upgrade my current SqueezeCenter version?

I'm running 7.01 and want to upgrade to 7.2 as I'm wanting to fix some issues I've had with 7.01

Thanks

sudo apt-get upgrade will upgrade a package, unless you compile the program from source.