PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New to Ubuntu/wubi, 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-19 and 2.6.24-16

wmaiouiru
June 29th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Dear ubuntu users

I just installed wubi on my desk top with Asus P5B plus and Geforce 8800 graphics card. Before the update the system booted fine, but after the update, both kernel -16 and -19 don't work anymore.

I have not used ubuntu before, so may you teach me step by step ?

Thank you :)! !

Will

untermensch
June 29th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Could you be more specific than just "don't work"? Is it booting? Is it giving you HAL errors ? is it not booting at all?

wmaiouiru
June 29th, 2008, 10:11 PM
The command line works, but when it has the ubuntu logo,
the loading bar hangs in the middle and everything freezes up.

Thank you !

will

untermensch
June 30th, 2008, 02:12 AM
o pfft! wow, I was puzzled all night at work over this one.. didn't make sense to me (thank god i reread it again) The problem is your using wubi. (I to am a partial wubi user 1\2 computers, and that's only because of partitioning problems) For some reason Wubi has problems updating (I guess because updates are for hard drive written OSs? really not sure on that one) I just know it's not easy. Umm, you might be left with re-installing wubi ? or maybe since you've gotten the chance to play with it you'd like to dedicate a partition of your hard drive to Linux?

wmaiouiru
June 30th, 2008, 02:41 AM
I tried install Ubuntu only, but I don't think my motherboard supports it fully. Although it supports wubi which is kind of weird..... I have a p5b plus. I am going to reinstall wubi, but is there anyway to make it so that I can update without screwing up the system ??

thank you for your time! !

Will

untermensch
June 30th, 2008, 05:05 AM
I doubt your mother board doesn't support Linux but does Wubi ? unless you found somewhere that said it did. I have never gotten Wubi to full update to a different version. I have no problems with regular updates but for new versions I just had to re install.